Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Wedding Anniversary

Today is my 29th wedding anniversary. I lost my husband five months ago and it stills feels like it happened yesterday. Fresh and raw and unbelievable. I don’t know what to do-how to feel-what’s appropriate-should I be alone.......I don’t want to say Happy Anniversary ( when I think of him) because that’s truly not the case. 
My chest feels tight and heavy and I know I’m going to be caught between memories of beautiful moments and such incapacitating grief that it brings me to my knees. 
I love him and miss him dearly. 
❤️

• Like 4

I never know what to say on someone's anniversary when their partner is dead, never knew how to face mine either, but know you are in my thoughts and prayers today.

hug.gif

• Like 3

It’s so very hard when a day that once was a joyful one becomes it’s exact opposite.  Never did we think our anniversaries would be less that reason to celebrate another year with our best friend, whatever tradition or surprise it would be.  It’s bad enough we have to add their date of leaving to our lives.  I wish I knew one magic words that could help. 5 months is so close. Mine is 3 months after Steve left.  A week before his birthday as well.  I don’t remember what I did that first anniversary, but I’m sure it involved a lot of crying.  Sometimes I go numb on those days and they hit me before or after.  All holidays are changed now.  We get thru it, but it’s hard. We sure don’t need reminders of our loss.  Whatever you do or don’t, feel or don’t is right for you.  I think the only thing you could do wrong would be trying to pretend it doesn’t exist and we can’t do that.  29 years is a long time.  I got 32, others more or less.  It’s the significance of the commitment and good memories.  Despite these words I put together, Kay is right, there really are none that can ease the pain.

• Like 5

Thanks. I know I’m not alone. I took our dog Mojo for a walk around an area lake we used to go to. Mojo and I were the only ones there. It was beautiful with the leaves changing and the wind blowing....I spoke to him as if he were there and told him how I love and miss him. It was rough but I got through it. 😌

4030D67A-FE19-4942-BF90-D683852811D3.jpeg

• Like 4

Beautiful picture of the lake, I love the autumn colors.  I'm glad you made it through the day.

• Like 1