Grief Healing Discussion Groups

George was always tidying up around here, not in an obtrusive way, just quietly behind the scenes.  He liked the afghan straight and probably made sure the towels were hanging perfectly in the bathroom too!  He'd help around here with dishes, vacuuming, etc.  God we went together so well.  :(  I had to sell his car when he died as it wasn't paid off and our income cut in half.  I was debt free when we married and owed $72,000 when he died, a lot was medical but he wasn't good with $ either, he was jack and the beanstalk.  Between that and the xxxx that followed, I owed out $107,000 and am crawling out of debt the long slow way, painstakingly.  It'll take me until I'm almost 80.  After that I can die in peace...after Kodie is gone.  

Gwen, I like your carrying Steve's key.  Reminds me, George organized/labeled all our keys...they could use it again.  What's the chances he'll come back and do that?!  I miss cooking for him.  He'd love what I'm doing with Keto, the food is really good and guilt free!  Yesterday I made  a spinach, cauli-rice, chicken, alfredo sauce, and cheddar casserole and a wild mountain blackberry cheesecake.  Yummy dinner, I thought how much he would have loved it.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, kayc said:

Yesterday I made  a spinach, cauli-rice, chicken, alfredo sauce, and cheddar casserole and a wild mountain blackberry cheesecake.

Kay, you are so enterprising.  If it does not have that written on it in the frozen food aisle, we get what we get.  Unfortunately, my grandchildren will never be able to talk about this grandma's food.  Gotta be written on the box or come from the deli.  Learned that working 2-3 jobs.  (But I loved my "work")

• Like 2

14 hours ago, widow'15 said:

I was strict about keeping that fried seafood "aroma" out of the house).

I was like that too.  Mine was the smell of pot.  I just hate it and it was his thing, more so with the cancer, and we had all the musicians flowing thru here.  I recall going out to the studio and having to leave because I’d start to feel it.  I can still see him standing at the bedroom window before bed to blow smoke outside to jphelp him sleep with the pain. 😰

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kayc said:

Gwen, I like your carrying Steve's key. 

I don’t anymore.  Only when I take his van out.  As I said, it’s not like he’s going to be calling me because he lost his or got locked out.  Wish I did need to.

• Like 1

I just learned pot is bad for Diabetics.  Not that I use it, I tried it when I was young, lost a whole day of my vacation because I ate one small pancake with it in it, I was so mad!  Took me all year to earn that vacation and it just wipes out one day of it?!  :D

My daughter said it should be my drug of choice (kiddingly, I think), because I've had anxiety all my life.  Thinks it'd make me chill. ;)

• Like 1

From what I gather (from expert I won't name) it makes you want to eat more.  These short legs have enough pain from carrying around this bucket of lard body, plus my pain from trying to inhale a real cigarette, I think I'll stick to Xanax occasionally..  Just me.  No criticism for those it helps.  Scott has even smoked with Willie when he was a DJ (Scott).  He cannot have it now as VA does periodic drug checks.  He misses it, I think.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kayc said:

My daughter said it should be my drug of choice (kiddingly, I think), because I've had anxiety all my life.  Thinks it'd make me chill. ;)

Well, I learned a lot about pot from Steve.  Especially when it became legal.  There are all kinds of varieties now and they range from speed type to knock you to sleep type.  I’ve been in the dispensaries to get CBD (which I didn’t find help from but didn’t give it a really fair trial as I have this thing about supplements and CBD here has minute amounts of THC).  My cousin uses it and sent me some with no THC.  I’m too much of a wimp.  Wish Tylenol worked. better as I can’t hake Advil or Aleve.  As for the anxiety, mine needs meds to live with.  I miss not needing anything but an aspirin now and then.  I hate being tied to pill boxes, like you being tied to insulin. I hate days I have to fill them from my home pharmacy.  Don’t like side effects to live with because I need the med.. It’s a loss of freedom.  

3 minutes ago, Marg M said:

From what I gather (from expert I won't name) it makes you want to eat more.

Having watched Steve’s weight blossom when he became sedentary and got the munchies, you are absolutely right.  2 of his buddies have to stay pretty active to keep up their indulgence.  

• Like 1

I do have to admit, they make them in gummy bears (I don't know how  they make food using it), and I ate the ear off a gummy bear thinking it might help me sleep.  Brianna (who would not touch drugs) watched over me all night.  No, I  did not sleep until about 6:00 a.m.  I did look on the wall and either saw horses running or trees.  I cannot remember which.  I know Brianna still laughs about it, but I eat my gummy bear vitamin E and gummy orange slices vitamin C and that is all the gummy bears I will ever eat again.  My nephew smoked one years ago, felt very strange and went and sat in the waiting room of the ER.  Did not sign in...........just in case he needed them.  

• Like 1

This is some Cold up here.......

An Arctic ridge of high pressure has funnelled in a very cold air mass onto the entire Prairie region. Along with winds of 20-30 km/h, it is yielding dangerous temperatures into the minus 30s and extreme wind chill values of -40 or higher for several areas this weekend. Some areas may rebound slightly from the bitterly cold daytime highs during the afternoon on Saturday and Sunday, but extreme cold warnings will likely remain in place for sometime. Exposure to the cold creates an elevated risk to health such as frostbite and hypothermia. Meanwhile, a boundary over Alberta will bring a shot of snow to southern areas including along the foothills, where 10-15 cm is possible through Sunday. For a deeper look, see below.

WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS

• Arctic air settles in for the entire Prairie region, lingering snow Saturday along the Rockies
  • Daytime highs may struggle to reach -30°C for the coldest communities, feeling like -40 with the wind chill
  • Extreme cold relaxes somewhat late next week, but still below seasonal

SATURDAY AND BEYOND: LAST BIT OF SNOW AS DANGEROUSLY COLD TEMPERATURES SETTLE IN

A boundary draped across Alberta will bring some lingering snow along the Rockies Saturday afternoon, with the last bit of moisture before the air becomes extremely cold and dry. Amounts won’t be too much, and because of its fluffy nature, will be hard to accumulate..........Everything will be plugged in tonight,,,,,,, temperatures measured in F orC are equal at `-40....everything Freezes

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Marg M said:

it makes you want to eat more. 

Yeah, I've heard that too, I definitely don't need that!  Have heard it helps those that live with chronic pain or anxiety, that's what got my daughter started as a young person, anxiety drugs gave her a severe headache.  I don't know if she does it anymore or not, I don't meddle in her business but I didn't want her to when she was a teenager and brain still developing although I understood.  I know some who use continually because of anxiety and pain in their 50s.

15 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

I hate being tied to pill boxes, like you being tied to insulin

I've never taken insulin and do not take diabetic Rxs these last several months, off of them for life!  I hear you about pills and aim to get off all that I can.  Ditched statins too, and next thinking about inhaler, and maybe cutting down blood pressure Rxs if I can someday.  Less is better imo, IF we can.  Not always possible I realize and it depends on the ailment/drug.

13 hours ago, kevin said:

-30°C

-22°F for those in the US...that is colder than I've ever been in!  Sorry, that is COLD!!  I remember waiting outside in dress/heels, for a bus, nothing around my neck, no hat/gloves, for a bus for a couple of hours, they'd changed to a snow route and didn't warn us, my only way home, in my early 20s.  I like to have froze to death!

Karen, I envy you this time of year but not in the summer, I have no A/C!  My woodstove is barely keeping me warm as it's below freezing (20s) every night here.  I'm in the mountains, 2500'.

What do you mean by break, Kevin?  Maybe get to actual freezing?  When do you guys actually thaw after this kind of thing?  

Temps dropping here for our taste of winter coming.  Might cripple the city for the weekend.  That would be tough as it is, but it’s the 2 days I get some social contact.   I’m more in dread of losing that than the snow.

• Like 1

We've had winter but Feb. is usually the worst month, in winter weather watch right now.  Watching east coast get hit, heading here too, but a lot is north of here.  Kevin, I don't know how you take the kind of cold that you do!

Break in weather is above ZERO F with no wind.....in two weeks we may even see a bit of a Thaw.....Agree Kay C with Feb comment...Climate Change isn't necessarily mean warming up here....On the bright side, bought bigger house!!

• Like 2

Send us a picture when you get it, so excited for you with all the changes in your life!  Wishing you much happiness.

Its a good looking house and hopefully this will be my last.....kids and Grandkids already planning family BBQ...post Easter....Grandson already planning graduation from pre-school to kindergarden....missing lots with this pandemic

• Like 2

Kevin and all other "northern" folks:  We are expected (one report) six inches of snow.  I have not had a winter like we had in Arkansas since 2015.  I've got to go put up some curtains in Brianna's room that are supposed to make it warmer, but think I am going to take duct tape first and go all around the windows.  Her room (I thought I was being nice) and gave her the biggest room, biggest closet and bath to herself.  It is so much colder than the rest of the house though.  I  hope this will help.

Nothing new going on here.  Valentine's day tomorrow.  Sister and Kelli and Scott all bought us stuff but I spent the last of my money on curtains and curtain holder.  I'm not much on giving, I guess.  I will send valentines on FB tomorrow.   

Enough said about the valentines. 

Hope everyone is coping.  I sometimes think it must be like being in a sort of prison and you make a scratch in the rock to count off the days.  Can't really do that.  

• Like 3

A friend of mine put foil on his front window (where he spends a lot of time) because it was so cold, but then he can't see out of it all winter which can be depressing.  Duct tape sounds like a good idea, not sure how great it'd come off though.

12 hours ago, Marg M said:

I sometimes think it must be like being in a sort of prison and you make a scratch in the rock to count off the days.

Except we have no countdown.  Nothing to mark the days until this is over.

My heart is with you all today, I thought about posting a GIF but couldn't find one appropriate for those of us missing the one we love, but do know I am with you all in spirit today.

• Like 4

It’s not counting down, it’s watching  the days, months, years add up that we spend in this.  Waking up to more snows today, it was supposed to quit, makes marking this as an especially har day.  Another trapped in what would have been an adventure with Steve rather than killing time and so little ways to do so that interest me.  Also missing my human connection afternoon because of it.  Had someone send me a Valentine’s Day greeting.  Trashed that pronto.  New person in my life that doesn’t think about the grief issue.  Not close enough to go thru it with her.  

Nice looking house, Kevin.  I think about all that goes into moving and I do hope this is your last.  I especially  like the kitchen and bedroom, look very cozy.  Now......all that snow.....well, am burned out on snow.  And it’s only been 2 days.  🙂

• Like 3