Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Where do I go from here

trailjumper

I've been thinking long and hard about this. First of all I hate the internet. AND have been searching support groups, but don't want to pay dues or join a church. And I don't want one on one counseling.  nor do I want to sit in front of a computer and talk to a screen. I've been wondering if there are support groups around like you see on Tv. Where people can talk and here and share there stories and maybe by that help each other. I lost my brother not blood but best friends for 30yrs.He lived in Roanoke TX, and I have temporally moved here to help with the family. He passed in May of cancer, And it seems the family has forgotten while I still struggle with this daily. the family and his widow are no help and I feel lost inside my own head. It all happen so fast and there's so much I want to get out. I'm not sure if you can help ,but I would like it very much if you might know where I could look .I'm not even sure this will work but it's worth a try.   .I put this out there in hoping that this isn't a scam.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trailjumper said:

He passed in May of cancer, And it seems the family has forgotten while I still struggle with this daily. the family and his widow are no help and I feel lost inside my own head. It all happen so fast and there's so much I want to get out. I'm not sure if you can help ,but I would like it very much if you might know where I could look

Welcome, friend, and I hope you will feel both comfortable and welcome here, as you come to know the wonderful, caring people who congregate here.

Unfortunately in our culture, the death of a friend can be for us a disenfranchised grief, in the sense that we're treated as "outsiders" who get no recognition of our grief from the family of the person who died and ~ as you so accurately describe ~ we end up feeling lost and alone.

In addition to the understanding and support I trust that you'll receive from our members here, I invite you to read these articles, in hopes that they might speak to you in a helpful way:

Death of A Friend: A Disenfranchised Grief

In Grief: Mourning The Loss of A Friend

Note that both articles list links to additional resources that you may appreciate as well. ♥️

• Like 1

18 hours ago, trailjumper said:

don't want to pay dues or join a church.

Before COVID I led a grief support group at our church but you don't have to attend church to be welcome to come, often they're held at churches to have a place to meet that doesn't cost us anything.  It helps to be able to express yourself to others that get it.  I've been here for over 15 years, learning from the best (Marty) and all of you!  

I am very sorry for your loss. I want to welcome you here.  No, no scam here.  We're safe.

I lost one of my best friends for 40 years, she used to live with me, we named our daughters Melissa Kay and Mandy Kay and they too were best friend, her name was also Kay.  It is hard to go through alone, although I do have contact with her kids on FB, it's not the same as someone in person you can talk to.

In addition to the articles Marty posted for you, I wanted to leave you these:

https://whatsyourgrief.com/when-your-best-friend-dies/
https://www.opentohope.com/when-a-friend-dies-2/

• Like 1