Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Grieving and Holidays

PJW

Tomorrow  marks the 27th anniversary of my brother Tom's death. Back then it was the day after Thanksgiving not the day itself. Another brother just died October 1st of this year.  I'm sad because Thanksgiving , when I was a child, was family gathering.  I miss my family of origin... my Mom, Dad, and brothers and sister who have all passed.  It's hard to focus on my family now ... though I love them very much and am grateful for them I feel sad and angry that the others are gone and not here anymore.  I am angry at God, angry at my loved ones that they didn't take care of themselves health wise in order to live longer. I know this anger...it is no stranger to me.....I see no benefit in holding onto it.  

Your anger is perfectly understandable, my friend, and shared by many of us who have lost someone dearly loved ~ and tomorrow marks the beginning of a very long slog through the holiday season. I hope it helps to know that, although it may seem like it, you are not alone. We're right here with you.

I offer the following, for anyone who may be interested: Coping With The Holidays ~ Suggested Resources 2020 ❤️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday my wife, and I and my daughter put up the Christmas tree and decorations.  I felt so many different feelings.  Perhaps the one that has emerged for me the most is my anger towards my brother for not taking better care of  himself.  As I exercised this morning I told God how angry I was at him and my other siblings for not taking care of themselves.....even my Dad who died when I was a young boy didn't care for himself either. It's strange because I feel guilty for caring for myself.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why you feel guilty towards yourself for taking care of yourself, do you know?

I'm afraid when my sister goes I too will have anger that she didn't take care of herself at all.  No exercised, smokes like a chimney, eats unhealthy, very obese, diabetic and eats whatever she wants.  I love her with all my heart and am very afraid of losing her, I already lost my husband, parents, another sister, many pets, friends.  I don't want to lose her too.  But with severe COPD & Diabetes...

I well understand.  All we can do is extend forgiveness and try to understand them.  In my sister's case, I believe is depression and passive suicide, she agrees.  She does not have will to live.  She's surprised she's still alive at 76.

Got this in my inbox & thought it worthy of sharing:

from What's Your Grief:

Changing Holiday Traditions; Keeping Holiday Values

HOLIDAYS AND SPECIAL DAYS / HOLIDAYS AND SPECIAL DAYS : LITSA

Holidays and special days occupy such a unique space in our minds and memories. I don’t remember what I did last Wednesday, but I remember the feelings of Thanksgiving three decades ago. I remember who was there, where we were, sights and smells, feelings of comfort, family and love. Holiday traditions of the past stick with us.

Whether we are looking back or forward to holidays in the future, we often go straight to the details. We remember the who, when, where of holidays. We think back to the homes we were in, the people around our holiday tables, and the things we shared. When we look to holidays coming up, the plans we make focus on the same – who we will gather with, where we will go, what we will do.

It makes sense that we find comfort in these details, rituals, and traditions. Traditions and rituals bring us connection to the past. They give us a sense of predictability. Traditions situate us in our families and our histories. They give us a sense of belonging and stability.

After a loss, traditions big and small sometimes have to change. Part of coping with the hoidays as we grieve is planning for the traditions we will keep, those we will change, and those we will leave behind. This is hard in the best of years, and 2020 – a year of change, loss, distance, and isolation has chnaged our who, when, wheres, and hows more than ever.

A Refocus on the “Why”

In those momens when all we can see is how much things have changed, of the tradtions that we can’t carry forward, it can be hard to see anything else. We often think that if the holidays can’t be the way they always were that they can’t be meaningful.

Let’s get one thing straight – no matter what happens, the holidays are always going be hard and bittersweet. Losng traditions will never be easy, even when we adapt. This year is making that more apparent than ever. Separated from family, many of us can’t go to the places we would have done. The who, where, and how have disappeared and we are left trying to figure out what that means for our holidays. This is where the “why” becomes crucial. When we ask ‘why’ and look at our holiday values we can shift from things that have to change to things that we can retain.

Values

Values underpin countless areas of our lives, giving us a sense of meaning and purpose. Sometimes we are very conscious of our values. Other times we get so caught up in what we’re doing that we forget why. Taking a step back to connect with our values can shift this focus. It can remind us of the meaning and purpose behind that traditions and rituals that mean so much, but that have to shift.

Values can serve as a compass. When the path we were on disappears, our values can serve as a north star. The specific path still might not be clear. We might take some twists and turns. But by keeping connection with our values, we can still move in a direction that feels consistent with the meaning and purpose in our lives.

Holiday Values

The thing about values is that they are different for each of us. The values that guide your holidays are unique to you and your family. The process is simple enough – sit down, either alone or with the family with whom you would normally be spending the holiday, and start listing the values that are an important part of your holidays.

Next, get creative. Start listing ways, big and small, that you can connect with those values. Keep in mind that it may look totally different than years past! There are no rules and the holiday may take a very different shape. But with values at the core, the what, where, when, and how become far less familiar. The values are the continuity. They can begin to provide a sense of meaning and belonging, even as we shift our traditions.

Not quite getting this whole values thing? Though values are different for everyone, some comom holiday values are:

• family
  • generosity
  • giving
  • faith
  • spirtuality
  • remembrance
  • home
  • reconnection
  • food
  • tradition
  • legacy
  • comfort
  • friendship
  • service/volunteerism

Value Review

Once you have made your list, begin a list associated with each value. On each list, write down things that connect with that value that you will do for the holiday. All ideas are fair game, no matter how far outside the box they are. Some may be traditions that you can continue. At this point, don’t edit or filter any ideas out.

We have a holiday traditions and holiday values worksheet you can download and print to help you with this exercise.

holiday tradition holiday values worksheet

Once you have at least an idea or two for each, you can go through and make decisions, narrowing it down if you have too many ideas, and expanding on ideas. Some of these may be personal, individual rituals and traditions. Some of them may be family traditions and rituals, to be decided as a family.

Take advantage of 2020 as a year where we have all learned to be more flexible, for things to look different. Check out our creative ideas for a virtual holiday. Read our ideas for new holiday traditions after a loss. Be open to whatever works for you.

Keep a wide open mind

If it is a taco bar for Christmas because that was your loved one’s favorite meal and that helps you connect and remember, do it! Maybe movies and board games are what bring comfort, then movies and board games it is! If in person volunteer service was always part of your holidays in the past but the places you volunteered aren’t allowing in person service, it can be easy to think “oh well, I can just wait until next year”. But if that value was important, get creative. Find online voluneer possibilities, or find a way to informally serve and support people you know.

Just remember, there is no one way, there is no right way. Though at the holidays we often focus on family traditions, personal rituals in grief can be just as meaningful. If you keep you values at the center, no matter what, where, when, and how you spend your holidays, you will have that “why” at the center.

• Like 2