Grief Healing Discussion Groups

The stress factor

Short and easy to understand, one of my favorite doctors!

• Thanks 2

Thanks Kay. This is very interesting. I have suffered from PTS after loss but I wasn't diagnosed for two-three years. There's so much that even therapist doesn't know about this condition. It doesn't only have to do with how my bf died, but what happened next and months and months later.  PTS loss isn't just "complicated grieving" IMO. I know very well what that "alert" feeling is like. I have made improvements in these 6 years but I think some of that will always be around me. 

I found yoga helps me with cortisol (didn't know this word) and surely a balanced diet helps too. 

• Like 1

It’s good to see these alert modes addressed.  We know they are real, but most docs don’t give them the attention they deserve.  I know just how powerful this is having a disorder that has plagued me for 30+ years.  Add in the biggest loss of my life and I knew it would really complicate going forward.  I’m glad you posted that for people new to these odd and disturbing feelings.  I can just be sitting and get hit by a wave I have to wait out.  It’s tough knowing they will still keep coming when they abate for a bit.  No matter how long, we still get hit by something new as that love and safety net of them bring physically with us is now gone.

• Like 4

I am sorry you are dealing with PTSD, I have it from an abusive marriage I was in when very young, had to get a lot of counseling.  I remember watching Farrah Fawcett in "The Burning Bed" and it brought it all back, like I was living it all over again.  I realize in that moment that that could have been ME and I'm so glad I didn't respond that way but a lot of people don't get that fight or flight instinctual thing we get, it's VERY real!  I'm sorry you suffer from it too.  I manage it pretty well now but have to guard against certain stimulus that I don't want to bring it back.