Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Where did he go...

My very old in-law died last Saturday. He was almost 96 years old, and me and my girlfriend were taking care of him for the last 15 years, after his wife died in 2006. I moved in with him in 2015, so he could stay in his own home. So, for the last six years, he was never alone. And honestly, I don't think there has ever been, or ever will be, another elderly person in the history of mankind that has been taken more care of than him. My girlfriend is a doctor, so medically, he was in good hands. And me and him both enjoyed watching sports, so he was never alone when a game was on. Think about getting your favorite meal every single day, taking (short) trips every day, and pretty much getting whatever you want, 24 hours a day.

My 'issue' is not so much with mourning, although even though he was old, it still hurts like somebody ripped your heart out. Five weeks ago, he did not want to eat anymore. I guess he was ready to die, we kept giving him lots of fluids. Last Saturday, I woke up at 6:49AM (I sleep in the living room next to his bedroom), and I knew immediately that he had stopped breathing. I walked into his bedroom and it was really weird (and extremely shocking). That is the point of this topic, and I am really curious how you feel and/or think about this subject: his dead body was there, but he was not. It really felt like something, or somebody, had left. I am not a religious person, but the night before he died, his eyes were wide open, and he was clearly seeing something that I could not. Call it heaven or whatever you want. 

I have been thinking about this ever since I was 18 years old (I am 55 now). Back then, I took a parachuting class, and during my first jump, I was scared to death, literally. I thought I would die. And that is when it happened. I felt a surge of energy, a force, that pulled me out of my body, and that let me hover over my own body while it was falling. I could see myself from above. When the chute opened, I was back in my body. I know that sounds weird, but trust me, I am not on drugs or anything. After I landed, my instructor, who watched the students from the ground with binoculars, started to tell me all the things I did wrong, but I stopped him and told him that I already knew, because I had seen myself. He answered that this happened quite often, especially with people on their first jump, where they would be really scared.

That experience was so weird and left such an impression that it often forces me to put things in perspective. So last Saturday, the entire issue came back, and I am really convinced that there is a physical body, and there there is something else, the you, the soul, whatever. When the physical body is not capable of let's say housing the you, it leaves that physical body. But where does it go ? Where did you go, old man ?

I am pretty sure I have a point, because if you look at yourself, your physical age never matches your felt age. A 90 year old still feels like a 20 year old. The body ages, but nothing else.

So what is your opinion on, or rather your experience, with witnessing death ?

• Like 1

My MIL was my best friend, the mother I always wanted, a very dear lady.  When cancer ravaged her body, I took care of her the last three years of her life, at her home, my FIL got the night shift, I had babies/young children also during this time.  I watched as cancer ate through her organs, traveled to her brain, took over.  

I cannot describe that time.  To say it was hard is an understatement.  But it was also a very special time too.  I was her link to the outside world as well as cooking, cleaning, adjusting her foam pieces to make her comfortable in her bed, just basically doing everything.

They had said she'd live a couple of weeks, it turned into three years.  She was willing herself to live.  We began to realize she was holding on for something, so the family gathered and talked with her.  She had some unfinished business which we helped her through.  Then she lapsed into a coma and went in her sleep during the wee hours.  But I also witnessed her looking towards something else as she got near.

My BIL of 50 years passed in Sept. and I also witnessed his looking to that something else, that glimpse of what's to come.  It seems they do see what is coming...I call it their transitioning stage.  My husband also focused on that at the end.  I could tell he wasn't "with me" but preparing for what's next.

My niece was born without a brain, she had only the stem, no cognitive thought, ability to recognize anyone, anything.  Yet she had a distinct spirit, very sweet...that was the first time I realized the spirit was separate from our brain.

I've had what they call two NDEs.  I was out of my body, looking down on them working on me...the allure/pull to the next world was very strong and alluring.  I chose to stay as I saw my kids watching, terrified.  I reentered my body.  The next time was years later, similar, but I chose to stay to take care of my animals...I saw them at home wondering where I was, a little fear/anxiety.  It took longer but I made my way back then too.

There's no doubt in my mind that life does not end here, no one can convince me otherwise, I know what I've experienced.

My grandpa was in hospital the day that he died and two hours before he passed away I was there with him. He was constantly looking at the ceiling when there was nothing there, at least for me. I don’t know what he was seeing but I was sure that something was there. I can’t accept that life ends with death. 

Thomas Edison's last words were "It's very beautiful over there". I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.

• Like 1

The last few weeks of my mother's life, she would frequently talk in her sleep.  She would be talking to mainly relatives, mostly ones who have long departed.  One day she was crying for her mom.  It's like my relatives were preparing and getting her ready to depart this world.  I still don't know whether to believe the spirit world or not, but there seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence especially with all of the paranormal shows on tv.  Maybe when it's my time I'll experience the same; whether I'll be worthy of being visited by my departed loved ones is another matter.

• Like 1
  • Like Copy 1

I guess since nobody can explain what strange force makes a body come alive, what it is exactly that makes us live, anything is possible. The weird thing is: if that something leaves the physical body, where does it go ? Back then I felt that I left my body, but I did not die. If my body would have fallen, if the chute would not have opened, I would still be alive. But how and where would I manifest myself ?

• Like 1

@Boro boy: I think my mind is playing tricks on me. I don't know which time zone you are in, but I am in GMT +1. The very minute (the exact minute) you posted your remark, which was around 3AM over here, I woke up. I am still in my in-law's home. There was an extremely strong presence, an energy that was almost touchable, in the room. I know it is not real, but it was so strong it filled the entire space. Really weird. Either way, thanks for reading my story, and for your support.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 12:48 PM, georg_pau said:

I guess since nobody can explain what strange force makes a body come alive, what it is exactly that makes us live, anything is possible. The weird thing is: if that something leaves the physical body, where does it go ?

God made us, He will take care of us.

• Like Copy 1