Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Joining the Club

So many places in the south look so green and beautiful, but I couldn't take the humidity.

I donned my warm Sox tonight, although our house stays pretty warm. We've not turned on the furnace yet. Actually still have the AC on as the front of the house where the guys live is hotter than the rest.  Either they roast or I freeze. No happy medium.  lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Marg M said:

Her triglycerides are terrible.

Mine went from 276 to 93 in four months on Keto.  We can have butter/fats because we burn them for energy instead of carbs.  I never felt better aside from my mysterious throat/tongue issue and all of my injuries (toes/knees/hands).  Can't get in to a gastroenterologist for MONTHS!  They won't even make an appt. yet!  What is wrong with our medical system!  Sounds like your sister's doctor is old school.  Statins can cause diabetes.  I'm off of them after 23 years. Sometimes less is better.

9 hours ago, KarenK said:

Finally getting a little rain here. Only a few hours worth and it's supposed to snow in Flagstaff. Wish I was there. I know it's no big thing to a lot of you, but here it's like manna from heaven.

I wish we had rain, instead of the heavy wet snow/sludge I have to shovel.  Do not know how I'm going to make my dental appt. in six days.  I put off my blood tests to April, doctors are the ones that changed it to Dec., it was April for years for a reason!

• Like 1

Well, what can I say, down here in Southern Italy, where we are supposed to have a 'Mediterranean climate', it's been raining for months now, and often together with extra strong gale force winds that blow everything away,and also very cold.

Usually, in the past, it was only until January that we'd get the 'real feel of winter'. Our summers are also much shorter (only June to beginning of Sept),whereas yrs ago when my kids were at school, they went in T-shirts and shorts from beginning of May and on their return (in Sept) after the holidays they still had all of Sept and first half of Oct,wearing summer clothes (still 30 degrees). 

So much for global warming!!! 🤔

All the best. 

Enza

P. S. Obviously it's raining right now while I'm writing this post. 🙁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kayc said:

Can't get in to a gastroenterologist for MONTHS!

I gripe about my gastrointestinal problems.  My friend had breast cancer.  Daughter just starting college.  Only two together.  I never knew about her exhusband.  My arrogant/angel doctor told her "I'm not going to let you die of this breast cancer" and she and I were "ill" at the same time.  The radiation nearly killed me 32 years after initial life saving (most a human can take), could never give any more.  (I sure didn't ask for more).  Her chemotherapy gave her lymphedema under one arm that still has not gone completely, and gave her body a condition (cannot remember name), that required a rheumatologist.  Three to six months later she still could not see one.  No where along the I-40 and I-30 corridor, which included Little Rock, Hot Springs, Texarkana.  I called to get an appointment with a new family practice and was laughed at, telling me they'd call in July.  This was January or February.  No trouble getting appointment with the most popular one in Minden, my mom's and sister's doc.  I can call him anytime.  (I think he wants to kill me though.)  I had heard that the "free medical care" countries had backup's waiting for surgery for three years.  Okay, is our medical care much different?  (Except we pay very much).  I kept my group insurance with State of Louisiana since 1961.  It has changed a lot, it is Blue Cross/Blue Shield and requires no payment for office visits (it is secondary to Medicare naturally).  I prefer not to go to doctors.  I am 79 and the majority of them think that is long enough. 

I will never forget the "joy" of one of the "Dollar" store's employee's.  They had insurance.  $5,000 deductible.   

19 hours ago, Marg M said:

I will never forget the "joy" of one of the "Dollar" store's employee's.  They had insurance.  $5,000 deductible.   

When I lost my job in 2013 my boss said he'd pay my ins. the rest of the year, he didn't, not even the last month he was supposed to.  I signed up for obamacare as soon as I could and they told me it'd be $750 deductible.  When I went to use it they said it was $7,500 deductible!  All that $ down the drain.  Then they charged me more on my tax return for it, beyond what they'd quoted.  Medical in the US sucks.

22 hours ago, V. R. said:

So much for global warming!!!

I think that's a misnomer, more like weather extremes!  This was the worst summer of my life!  I hope it doesn't become the norm, fires, evacuations, breaking records for high heat (124 here!  It usually doesn't get into the 100s!)  People died from it.  Most here don't have air conditioning, I don't.  This is why I didn't stay in Phoenix AZ!  I hate the heat!  Not fond of the cold either.  We're on hazardous weather alerts right now.  Several inches of snow.

• Like 2
  • Like Copy 1

I don’t know if Obamacare can be blamed.  It’s the fact that we that don’t have company rate insurance that aren’t  hit with the huge deductibles.  When Steve died, his boss had been keeping him on payroll for years (which was so appreciated).  Then I had to get my own and couldn’t find any private policy that covered my needs without the high rates to be met.  Mines $6500 and much more restrictive to boot.  The membership is low at $55 a month.  There is free or low cost insurance for those who have no means to pay for premiums.  Had this gone better politically it would be a different story.  But this isn’t the place for that.  I’ll just say that for having to carry a huge personal loss and deal with what should be more equatable is very hard.  We do have the worst system it seems.  I hear it from a British friend and people here I know did very in depth research for plans.  

• Like 1

It's not because it was Obamacare, it's because the woman that signed me up was incompetent and screwed up royally.

• Like 1

The state group insurance let us (everyone) know if we dropped it we could not get back in.  We carried cancer ins. when I had cancer.  Did not have it for Billy.  She told me it would not cover his $6000 chemotherapy.  I said, give it to him anyhow, we will cover it (not a worry or thought in my head), still trying to grasp stage 4 cancer when I had him at doctor regular twice a year and anything in between.  Clinic was less than a mile from our house.  The clerk caught me before I had even gotten close to front door.  They called a "grant" in and it covered it all.  So, I guess they actually paid to make him leave faster since the chemo made it where he could not eat.  I had him back at the hematology clinic every day.  Twice the night/day he left me.  We lived between 30-40 miles from that clinic.  Does no good to look back.  I could not have changed a thing about the course of the disease any more than all those more than a hundred people could have changed the course of the tornadoes that ripped across the USA last night.  I hope all our people are okay.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Marg M said:

I could not have changed a thing about the course of the disease any more than all those more than a hundred people could have changed the course of the tornadoes that ripped across the USA last night.  I hope all our people are okay.  

Marge:  I thought about you when I heard about the tornadoes in Arkansas.  I sort of recall you lived fairly close to Arkansas.  Hope your family still in Arkansas were all safe.  Dee

• Like 2

I'm going through this with my friend Iris, now.  Two days ago I went with her to get her head shaved.  :(  Right now she's doing chemo once every two weeks, tomorrow she's due again and still feeling sick.  I can't imagine when she has to go to once a week.  

You went through a lot with your Billy.  $ isn't optional when it comes to them, their life.  I'm glad it was covered.  I was left with $72,000 to pay when George died, hospital offered no helps, just hounded me with usury interest, so much for their Catholic charity (Sacred Heart).

I’m so sorry you got screwed over by who was entrusted you find you good coverage.  I probably could have gotten better than I did, but I wanted to stay in the network I was in.  I should have had the state rep do that footwork.  It’s a very important decision I’ve learned.  Don’t know where my head was at.  Oh yah, it was adding Medicare too.  I was overwhelmed and just decided to switch my old Blue Cross to the one that worked with Medicare.   Another reason to have had help.  This is what fatigue and grief do. I had recently lost Ally too.  Knew my back was getting worse.  Another ‘Steve would have handled it' knowing our needs.  That’s a weight I’ll never stop dragging with me.  I’m competent but hate doing it.  He liked doing the research on big or technical things.  I did the finding repair, yard work, donation and all the nest stuff.  It was a perfect balance.

So sorry to hear about Iris.  Don’t know what I’d do if I had to see cancer again.  I’m glad she has you.  I’m shocked at the debt you were left with from George.  Where was the compassion to help you any way possible? Rhetorical.  That’s salt in a gaping wound.

• Like 2

I asked my son to check Facebook to see if he could find my Kentucky grandkids. Not sure where they are now, but I don't think near the tornado outbreak. What a terrible loss of whole towns and so many lives! Nature at its worst.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Hello everyone, I'm writing this post to say how sorry and shocked I was to hear about all the tornadoes that have hit, yet again, the U. S. I hope you are all alright(and all your family and friends) and haven't been affected some way by this terrible tragedy. 

A big hug. 

Enza❤️

• Like 4

We're going through rockslides closing highways/freeways.  It's a good thing I didn't attempt to go to my granddaughter's ballet three hours away, but it's heart wrenching to see the pictures posted on line, my little sister was there as was Bethany's parents and aunt.  She looks adorable and very intent on doing a good performance!  I see she go1253655257_CeciBallet121121.thumb.jpg.52bcd90dba8e535d0077b9763fb9c9ae.jpgt something from her dad, wanting to give things her best effort!

• Like 3

Kayc, what a pretty little girl. Even though you can't be there with your loved ones, at least, with today's technology we get to see photos and videos in real time. It's a little comfort.

Ruby,yes,for the moment, we're finally seeing sunny days after months of rain and strong winds. I really shouldn't complain, though, it's nothing compared to what's happened in the States.

Best regards. 

Enza

• Like 2

I didn't see it in real time but did get to watch a couple of videos...it was hard to miss it.

Another storm coming in, more high winds, more snow...