Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Chat Room

dpodesta

I was thinking the other night as I was going nuts. Is there a possibility of haveing a live chat room of some sort. I love this site and all of the input that I have recieved, but sometimes you just need to get an instant response when you are going through a rough time. Sometime you just need some conversation directly rather than waiting for someone to respond to your post.

Just a thought keep up the good work with this site it has been a God send to me.

Dear Derek,

You're right ~ when the pain of loss is especially acute or we find ourselves experiencing what I would describe as an "attack of the crazies," it is so comforting to talk directly to someone who's been there, too, who can reassure us that what we're feeling is normal and that this, too, shall pass.

I agree completely that offering a live chat room for the bereaved is something for Hospice of the Valley to consider. Since we do not yet offer such a service, however, I want to refer you to a reputable site that does. See GROWW (an acronym for "Grief Recovery Online (founded by) Widows & Widowers").

While chat rooms have their place, keep in mind that message boards such as this one have different benefits. For example, in several of your posts, you've mentioned your awareness of the progress you've made over these last three months, and I believe that posting on this site helps you track that progress. Additionally, here you have an ongoing, written record of all the responses you've received, as well as access to all the other messages and responses posted on this site. I don't think there is a better place to share and learn all the different facets of grief and mourning, and what can be done to manage them, than this one.

So by all means, utilize a chat room if and when you feel the need to do so ~ but please keep coming here, too. We need the benefit of your experience just as much as you need ours. You are an important and valued member of our Grief Healing community, Derek, and we don't want to lose you!

Marty, oh believe me I will continue to come to this site, over the last few months you all have become like family to me. I look forward to the e-mail that tells me that someone has replied or has posted something new. Thank you for the additional resource Marty.

Dear Ones,

Since I've just been asked a similar question by a person seeking a chat area specifically for bereaved siblings, I'd like to share the following, so that others might benefit from the same information:

Adult Sibling Grief Chat

Please see also all the other sites, articles and resources I have listed on the Death of a Sibling or Twin page of my Grief Healing Web site.

Hi Marty and Derek,

Thank you both for bring the subject up I too would love to see a chatroom for the bereaved, but I would definitely still take part on this website too. I agree with Derek in saying it is like talking to family when you post something Thank you both for all your posts and understandings take care and God bless you both shelley

Hi I just tried the groww chat room and it was ok. i don't type as fast as others so it was harder for me. but i tried. i think i like the posting better. i also couldn't go into the part about people who lost a parent b/c that meets wed and thurs nights. i well into the general chat. it was ok, like i said. someone did tell me it was her time , i didn't like that remark but what can you say. i am feeling so anxious that i need anything to calm me down. forcing myself to eat also so maybe that will help. i think i would like chatting here better since i feel comfortable here.

Edited by lorikelly

Like you, lorikelly, I don't prefer chatrooms. Tried one once but rapidly realized I'd have to learn all those abbreviations, etc. that experienced users use and I thought that was just too much effort to expend when in the throes of grief. And yah, having to type faster in order to keep up wasn't my cup of tea, either. Plus, with posting, you can take short breaks if you need to ( which I do, as I'm so often interrupted by things I have to do ), so I find it far more 'relaxing' a way to share....more on my terms, so to speak.