Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Guilt

My father was raised as a Christian Scientist, and (for those of you unfamiliar with that religion), they do not use medical treatment, but rely completely on prayer.

When my dad found out he had cancer, he decided to have the full medical treatment, in spite of his upbringing: radiation, chemotherapy, and whatever drugs the doctor thought he should have. They kept promising "quality of life", but the treatments made him sick and weak, and he never recovered. In the last two weeks of his life, we got him into hospice at the recommendation of the doctor. He died at the age of 78 and 4 months.

His father, my grandfather, relied completely on prayer for what we are pretty sure was also cancer. He did not restrict his food nor follow any special diet (he loved desserts), he took absolutely no medications of any kind (not even aspirin.) He had a lot of pain, and just prayed through it.

He died at the age of 78 and 6 months.

It's my belief that when it's your time, it's your time, no matter what drugs you take, or what food you eat. That time may be partially determined by genetics. Or maybe completely determined by God. Either way, I think whatever brings the person hope or comfort is the treatment that should be followed. As I said to my mother after we got my father into hospice, we have done everything humanly possible for him. The rest is out of our hands.

Ann

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ann,

I just wanted to post this because I do think that God has a big part in when you join him in heaven but I am also wondering if food and the way you live has anything to do with it also....What do you think???? I am sort of caught between both items so I do not really know... Take care Shelley