Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Sudden Loss

Jencins

I just put my beloved Cookie (dog) of 10 years to sleep Saturday. She just became ill 5 days prior with sudden lethargy, vomiting, drooling and inability to move. Vet ran tests, did x rays, all inconclusive.

She came home with me that first day after getting some treatment and was sent home with medications but ended up taking her back 2 days later. She was admitted, put on IV's, etc. more tests and by day 5 she hadn't improved only worsened. I could tell by the look on her face that she was ready to go. She looked at me with those eyes that told me to just let her go...and I did. Day 3, 4, and 5 was almost solid sobbing for me. It just came on so sudden-she was healthy and active up to that time. My Vet told me that he didn't know what was wrong and offered a referral to a more high tech diagnostic facility where she would be for 3 days and going thru testing, procedues, etc. but he didn't really think it would be the way to go. I especially didn't want to put her thru that additional stress. His professional advice was euthanasia although he left it up to me.

I just can't get closure to this and I guess it is because of the suddeness and the not knowing what made her so sick. I've been through several, many deaths of very dear loved ones in the past 8 years: My Mom, Dad, Brother, 3 dogs, (and one dog exactly one year to the day, of Cookie's death), but I just can't seem to get a handle on this one due to the circumstances. I don't know what to do, I'm lost without my Cookie. She was extra special. Please help me.

Thanks, Cindi

• 2 weeks later...

jencins,

I am sorry for your loss.

I lost my cat suddenly, he was fine happy, healthy and full of pep and then one friday he was hiding in the corner wouldnt let me pet him, i knew somethign was wrong that not shadow at least with me it wasnt.. and by wednesday we had to put him down, there was nothing they could do for him.. they said he was Septic.. basicly something ruptured inside him and the toxins shut his system down.. i still dont understand why or how.. or what ruptured for that matter.. i will not step foot in that vets office again.. it wasnt the dr.. just me.

Its is so heart wrenching when you loose our best friends, especially when its just so suddenly..

All we can do is keep them in our hearts and think about them, she will come to you i truly believe that. she will let you know she is ok. and maybe you will feel alittle more at peace.

Take care of yourself.

Dear Cindi,

I'm so sorry to learn of the death of your beloved Cookie two weeks ago -- I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for you to let her go, especially when this illness came upon her so suddenly and unexpectedly. Making the euthanasia decision for our cherished companion animals is one of the most difficult things we ever have to do, and I know this must have been terribly hard for you. Yet I'm sure your darling Cookie knew how much you loved her, and I have a feeling that she would have understood that this was your final act of love for her.

I don't know if you've ever spent any time on my Grief Healing Web site, which offers information, comfort and support for grieving animal lovers. If you go to my Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers page, I think you’ll appreciate many of the wonderful writings you'll find there. See especially Rita Reynolds' beautiful piece, Euthanasia: The Merciful Release.

Please know that we are thinking of you and holding you in our hearts at this sad and difficult time.

Wishing you peace and healing,

Marty T

Hi Cindi,

Oh I sure feel like I know how you feel. On Feb. 27 I took Maggie to the vet because she was also not eating, lathargic, diahrea, not wanting to do much of anything but lay and sleep. She was like that for about 4 days, and finally I called her vet. I was devistated, she hadn't been ill up until then. The vet ran exrays and did ivs and diagnosed congestive heart failure with fluid in her lungs where she could barely get any oxygen into her lungs. I decided that was the time, and I mean it , it was the hardest thing I have ever ever done.

Maggie was my best friend for 13 years, and I miss her sooooooo much and I'm sure you do Cookie. It happened 3 weeks ago today and I'm still sobbing.

As you and I both know, Cookie and Maggie are much more comfortable and at peace, no more aches and pains. We are the ones with the pains, but we did the best for them, and that is what a true animal lover would do. It is so difficult for us, they warmed our hearts, where now I feel somewhat of a void there. I am trying to understand this but it is terribly difficult.

I am so soooooooooo sorry about your Cookie, she was a lucky dog to be loved so dearly by you.

I wish you peace.

Susie