Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Max

Max'sdaddy

On April 9, 2004 (Good Friday) a tragic accident happened that resulted in the death of my youngest cat, Max I was getting ready to do some errands and as I got ready to leave I checked the location of my cats. 2 of my cats I was able to account for, but Max didn't turn up to say goodbye as I was getting ready to leave to do errands. I didn't think much of it and so I got into the car and began backing out of the driveway. I felt something was wrong and to my horror and shock saw my Max lying in a heap on the pavement, blood gushing from his mouth. You see, this was the first and only time Max went outside, so imagine my shock when I saw him lying there. I picked him and rushed to my vet. Blood was everywhere. He began to convulse in my arms in the car. His little heart was racing. I thought he might make, but actually he was dying. By the time I got to the vet, he was gone. They attempted CPR but it was of no use. I went to him and while stroking his fur, I said goodbye. The I fell apart for 3 days hardly able to do anything. I'm having him cremated and brought back to me. He should be coming home on Friday. My head tells me that it was a trajic accident, but my heart is filled with guilt over his passing. I remember the certain times of the day that he would find alone (I have 2 other cats and 3 dogs) Wanting only to be picked up and held. I miss him so. He was the funniest, cutest cat and I'm going to miss him. This has been the the most horrible event that has ever happened in my lif. I know Max is in heaven and one day we'll be reunited again

Sincerely,

Barry Stein

Barry,

I'm so sorry about your loss! It is heart-breaking, I know. I can only imagine your horror when you saw Max bleeding!!! Even though you feel guilty, please know that guilt is a normal reaction with many types of deaths, even though in this case it was a tragic accident (as your head has been trying to tell you). But your heart is broken and so it's understandable that in its brokenness it is feeling guilt.

Mistakes happen every day, and the odds are that some result in tragedy. If only we could go back in time... especially when life changes drastically in a split second.

Max understands your love for him, and he feels the same for you and doesn't want you to remain paralyzed with grief...and definitely not with guilt.... remember this. And in the meantime, he's experiencing only pure bliss and there'll be no pain of any kind for him. When you join him, I can just imagine the reunion you will have... In the meantime, lavish as much love on your other kids as you can as you comfort each other.

Sending prayers and comfort your way,

Little Girl's Mommy, Kathy

Kathy,

Thank you so much for your words of comfort and support. Every day is a little better. This Friday my darling boy is coming home to me. ( I had him cremated). Now I'm starting to remember not only with sadness, but with love all of his little routines throughout the day. At times, I still can't believe that he is gone. I feel like this is a bad dream that I'll wake up from. Having the opportunity to talk about this with others that have a similar history is helping the healing process. There is a ways to go.

Warmly,

Barry