Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Grandmother Died Today

Grandmother died today.

My mother and three of her sisters were there with me when she passed away. It was sad, but after the painful afternoon she had, it was a prayer answered. She had been in so much pain the past few days and now there is no more. I believe she hung on to life through terrible pain to make it easier to let her go. After losing my sister so suddenly, God made her death a blessing and had me there to witness it.

Janine

Janine

What a blessing that you were there. My Grandmother died over 20 years ago in a nursing home and I wasn't there when it happened. I was able to go and see her after she died and I remember how at peace she looked. I wish to this day though that I could have been there to say my good-bye at the time of her death. My prayers will be with you during this difficult time.

Derek

Janine, I'm so sorry to learn of the death of your beloved grandmother, and I join with all our GH members in sending my hearfelt condolences to you and your family. I hope you will take comfort in knowing that you gave your grandmother the most precious gift of your presence, bearing witness as she exchanged her earthly address for a heavenly one.

You are being held in gentle thought and prayer by all of us.

Wishing you peace and healing,

Marty T

Grandmother has been laid to rest and I am determined to find every bit of her that lies within me. She had such a great spirit and loved to spread it around. Her memorial was beautiful and we all had similar stories of her laughter and her ability to start each day with a smile. She always saw the best in everyone and only carried forward the good memories of each day.

Her death brought very little sorrow, only selfish ones of missing her. It stirred many memories of my sister, but also comfort that they are together and Grandmother is taking care of her now.

Janine

I don't think that your feelings of missing her are at all selfish, at least not in the bad sense. I think that they are are natural feelings. You want something that you can't have anymore, which is like being selfish, but when it comes to missing a loved one, that's an acceptable kind of "selfish".

• 1 month later...

Hi,

This is my first post. My Grandmother died April 30th everyone in the family has seemed to cope and move on, but I am struggling trying to make it through the day. I took some time off from work I went back yesterday but I only made it 4 hours, I sat at my desk with my back to everyone and silently cried. I have never felt this depressed and hopeless before in my life I want to grieve for my Grandmother but I feel like I am losing my mind. Everyone says go back to work it will help you but I cry more at work then I do at home. I have wonderful friends and family and they try to help but I feel like I'm drowning. Thanks for listening.

Terri B

Dear Terri, I am so sorry for your loss. Be patient...this just happened and you are still in shock and everything seems unreal. Try to give yourself some extra TLC at this time and realize that your feelings are very normal. It will take time, but you will get through this.

Take care...Lori