Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Brutus The Wonder Dog

STARKISS

Hi All,

I am posting this about a very good friend's dog, This dog is a very gentle kind soul and would not hurt anyone.... So why is this evil thing happening to this gentle giant..... Brutus has liver disease and is dying, two weeks ago we were saying our final goodbyes but something happened and he started eating again but a few days later he stopped again and we thought it was the end for him again and all of the sudden he started eating a second time I think someone is playing a cat and mouse game with this poor animal I just wish either he get better or allow him to die quietly and peacefully... This is what I pray for at night.... Shelley

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I just wanted to update you on how he is doing... Brutus was on death's door about a month ago and seems to be hanging in there... It is totally amazing how a dog looks like he could die one minute and be alot better the next... Take care Shelley

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

The last time I spoke about Brutus the wonder dog he was just about to die... But something amazing has happen to him... He is eating and drinking and moving around he even went to the cottage... The doctor's say he still has liver disease and will eventually die but instead of months ago it will be down the road some time... Take care Shelley

Shelley

I am so sorry about Brutus. it is so hard to see them suffer when all give is love. i have worked for a vet for almost 15 yrs and see this all the time. alot of times animals will seen to bounce back then only to get worse, it is all part of the dying process. just as some people seem to rally right before they die. it is hard since they can not speak for themselves and tell us how they feel. this is why we must not be selfish and think of them and when it is time to put them down humanely and will there loved ones around. i wish for Brutus a peaceful passing. Love Lori

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

I just wanted to email you to update you on Brutus the wonderdog... He is still alive and kicking and doing much better... His condition is listed as serious but he seems to not be getting any worst.... Thanks for caring Shelley

It's hard with animals. Two weeks ago I was sure I'd said goodbye to little Roarie for the last time (5 month old kitten Feline Leukemia positive), but she is holding in there as well, eating a full kitten can of food this morning for breakfast (for the first time in her entire life). I do wish for everyone's quality of life that the no eating/feeling bad didn't happen. In Roarie's case she has worked very hard to overcome the secondary infection after being spayed and then a food change seems to have brought her back. It's very difficult to watch them not eat, when you know it would help them and then you hear or read sad stories about other people's pets (not you Shelley) and the worry in the pit of your stomache sets in. I'm glad to hear good news of Brutus. I'm sure his family as well as everyone he's touched are glad everyday to have him in their lives. :wub:

Hi Elizabeth A,

Thank you for your comments, it is certainly nice to know there are people out there who really do care... Brutus is actually my sister's friends dog and we saw him once in a while but I fell in love with this dog... So I keep tabs on him and often send emails to his master and ask how he is doing... shelley

What kind of dog is he? Are certain dogs more prone to liver issues? I know in the bigger dogs they can have trouble with their bones because of their sheer size. In the case of my Sunny boy (the son of a stray feral cat, who looks like a prize winning Maine Coon) he can't eat the food that is designed for Maine Coons, because of a jaw/mouth issue that runs in his family (his mom, and his 1/2 sister, my beloved Tiny) all have different variations of it.

Hi Elizabeth,

I am not sure of what kind of dog he is but it is a large breed... He has done so much better... Eventhough the vet says he is still sick he seems to be holding his own... He was sicker than our dog Bailey but Bailey just seemed not to be able to hang on... I hope Bailey is happy and that even though the family wants another dog Bailey will never be forgotten... We love you Bailey....and Brutus.... Shelley

It really is amazing the way animals curl up in our hearts and live there for all of our lives. I remember all of the names and personalities of all of the pets I have ever had. I suppose it's no surprise really when you think about it. They love us no matter what, always. Oh here's one that perhaps will make you smile. My Sunny Boy (a long haired tabby cat) lets my daughter do whatever she pleases. For instance, just the other day her daddy caught her cutting Sunny's fur! Sure enough he has newly cut little short spots on his back. Lucky for him they were blunt scissors and he has LOTS of fur. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Leeann,

You are right it was lucky, and one thing that I love about having pets they are your friend and they are not judgmental... They will love you no matter what... I wish people were more like them... Shelley