Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Share Happy Memories

Just the other day a friend I have met thru this website, asked me what my mom was like. It felt so wonderful to tell someone about my mom. Not her illness or death, but what kind of person she was.When I started to write, I thought of so many things I wanted to say. I just made it simple and it felt so great. I wondered if anyone here on the site would like to do the same(maybe this had been done before) It made me so happy and I would love to hear about your loved one. Happy memories of my mom are:

It was so easy to make her laugh. She was my best friend. She made the best choc.chip and sugar cookies in the world. She loved family parties.She and I would take on a project with no experience, like hanging wallpaper, we once pulled up carpet and put down new carpet...we didnt know how we were going to get the carpet roll up into the house. We used my son's little red wagon, about half way up the hill to our door, we got laughing and lost control of the wagon, it went rolling down the street. We were laying in the yard, laughing, it took us forever to get it back in the house.She loved to come to my house,sit on the front porch and watch the horses. She loved Xmas. She collected small, glass Xmas trees and Santas. She would play games with her grandchildren for hours.She didn't care about cars, but one day went to the dealership and bought a PT Cruiser without ever having seen one in real life!She thought they were "cute". She was on a waiting list for a year for it and loved it. My friends often said, they wished she was their mom.When she was in a room it was filled with laughter and love. Thanks for listening

Annie - I think this is a wonderful idea! I bet you will have a lot of replys to this thread 'cause I'm sure everyone here wants to tell us all about the fabulous people they have lost. (Your mom sounded like a GREAT person - I can see why you miss her so much!)

OK, let's see...my husband, Charlie, was so gentle, caring, compassionate and loved to laugh. He had the cutiest laugh when he got really "tickled" about something. (His normal laugh and that laugh were two entirely different ones)

He loved the outdoors - he waterski'd almost his entire life, he snow ski'd, tried snow boarding and would come home and talk about how "beatup" his body was after a day of snowboarding (I think he got slammed a few times!), he mountain climbed, rock climbed - I think he would have tried anything once. He was a carpenter, all his life, and loved heights. When we went to Las Vegas he always had to go to the top of the Stratosphere and ride the roller-coaster and the other ride they had up there.

Mostly he loved his motorcycles. He had "small" motorcycles growing up, but always wanted a Harley. We lived in Alaska for a lot of years and getting a Harley there didn't seem like the most sensible thing, so he never did (he had a different motorcycle). Then we moved to sunny Arizona and NOW getting the "bike" he really wanted seemed worth it. FINALLY, a year before he passed away we were able to get him a 2000 Harley Davidson Deuce. He LOVED it. He rode as much as he could - we took a couple of weekend trips on it and I loved riding behind him. He was always so street-smart about riding and I had complete faith in his ability.

My Charlie was very handsome. He had the most beautiful dark curley hair and every woman that would see him would comment on how beautiful his hair was and how much they wish they had had his hair. He had gorgeously tan skin (he was of Rumanian decent so he had a dark complexion), and pretty brown eyes - I miss looking into them.

He was absolutely the best husband!! He was completely trustworthy, loyal, let me be myself and loved me for it. We did everything together and loved being with each other - even if it was just sitting at home watching TV.

Thank you for letting me tell you about the best man that ever entered my life. I loved him then and I love him now - I will miss him tremendously the rest of my life!!

Hugs to all of you.

Patti

Patti,

Thank you for sharing things about Charlie. I laughed out loud when you described his laugh. I got the feeling that he lived life to the fullest!

Doing things that other people just talk about..rock climbing, moutain climbing,snowboarding and owning a Harley! Sounds like there was never a dull moment when he was with you. Thank you.

Thank you for bringing up this topic.

My husband, Jason, was the most wonderful, caring, selfless man. I was so fortunate to have had him in my life, even if our time together was brief. I was so lonely before I met Jason, and I prayed that God would send me someone nice, and God does listen. My husband loved to just live life. He was in the US Navy for 14 years, and basically had been everywhere, and had so many stories to tell. When I was with him, I just couldnt be sad. Our personalities, likes and dislikes, and everything about us just seemed to click.

I think the thing I miss most was having so much unconditional love shown to me, day in and day out. My husband was also so very handsome. His smile brought such wonderful joy to my heart. He liked to be outdoors. He enjoyed camping, hiking, and a treasurehunting game called geocaching. Life was so very full with him here. I truely miss him. :(

AnnieO,

I loved your story about your mom moving the carpet with the wagon. She sounds great! I'm glad you have so many happy memories with her.

My George...he had so much personality and spirit. He loved eating more than anything in the world and his favorite activities were fishing and getting groceries. :) (It was so hard for me to get groceries alone after he was gone.) He used to refer to me as "The boss"...a fact I didn't learn until his memorial service. I wish I'd have known I was the boss! :P Life with him was so enjoyable and pleasant. He worked four tens and I worked five eights so on Friday night he'd be chomping at the bit for me to get off work so we could start our weekend. About ten til 5:00 he'd show up at my office with a drippy ice cream cone for me...I'd be scurrying around trying to tie up loose ends, make computer back ups, etc., and I'd think, "What am I supposed to do with a drippy ice cream cone around all these papers?" I'd send him to the post office with some mail to get him out of my hair while I finished and by the time he'd get back, I'd be ready to go. You don't know how much I miss that little ritual! On Saturday mornings I'd open my eyes and he'd be hovering over me, looking at me, with a smile on his face he'd say, "I just love how the sunlight glistens in your eyes!" and he'd kiss me good morning. Friday nights and Saturdays have been my hardest days since he's been gone. I miss him so bad. The sweetest man that ever lived!

Edited by kayc

Annie, what a wonderful subject to bring up!

I think too your mom was wonderful and so much fun, and as for Jason, Charlie and George, remarkable husbands, thanks for sharing with us those beautiful moments, your comments brought a smile on my face.

It's been a while since the last time I described how Christophe was. He had one of the purest giving hearts I have known, he was a sensitive man who loved to help others. His favorite sport was ping pong, he loved that game and was one of the things that would bring him alot of joy, spending days after work in ping pong practice, or tournaments. Since I met him I knew I would never meet somebody like him, he loved me so much. He was always joking, always positive, looking the bright side even if it seemed there wasnt. I admired him professionally, and I used to tell him I would like to be someday as good as he was, and he would just smile at me and say he knew I would someday be much better than him. He called me "little bunny" and I loved it because it sounded really tender. I miss looking at him, I could stare at him for hours and hours, for me he looked like an angel. A friend of mine would describe his eyes as "dreamy eyes" and I think it suited him well. He was a super fan of Willie E. Coyote, the one that chases the Beep Beep roadrunner, He collected things related to it, just like a little kid, and he kept a yellow bunny with him since he was 4 years old. He collected stones too. He had a beautiful blonde hair, which he didn't cut much because he knew I loved it. He was a cat lover too, we would talk about how many cats we would have once we would marry, I wasn't too fond of them, but he made me love them. He brought in my life the biggest happiness I could ever feel, life will never be the same without him, I miss him terribly much.

Thank you all for sharing your memories. I love reading about everyone and find myself smiling while I read the posts. No wonder we miss our loved ones so,so much..they are all wonderful, loving people. We are all blessed to have had them in our lives and to be loved by them. I like having a pictue in my head what each person was like. Jason in the Navy and camping. George with the drippy cones and waiting to have fun on the week-ends. Christophe, ping-pong and Willie E.Coyote...what fun memories.Thank you for making me smile.

Me too, a hearty amen, thqank you for sharing your memories...I'd love to hear from more of you, it makes me feel like I knew them too! They are such a big part of us, forever!