Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Mom Was Always Great With Traditions

Hi All,

I think that family traditions are very important but since my parents died we really have not stuck to any from the past... But now my sister and I have started one that I think my parents would happy with... For the last two years we have gone to Cananda's Wonderland with my sister's three kids and spent the day doing what the kids want to do and acting like kids ourselves... My mom really liked the amusement parks when she was younger so I think she would be happy we started this... Take care Shelley

Shelly, that sounds like fun. I believe that our parents would definately want to know that we are keeping up with traditions and making our own traditions as well. It's a two edge sword...grieving and having fun. I think it's just our new "normal" and sometimes we just don't want to have fun because the grief is overwhelming. I think that it's trying to find that balance that becomes a struggle with some days easier than others. I'm glad that you had fun with your sister and her kids!

Take care...Lori

Hi LoriS and Lorikelly,

Thank you both for your reply, It good I suppose when you do something away from the pain but I do feel guilty when having fun... Take care Shelley

Hi Shelly, I know it's hard to do something for yourself because we feel like we're betraying the people that we're grieving for. I went through that and with time, I was able to learn how to have more of a balance. Also, Marty has a wonderful article regarding betrayel and how we feel like we're betraying our loved one if we move on. It helped me out so much and I have often re-read it when I needed to.

Take care...Lori

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

When all these holidays do come up I often think of what my mom did and how she did it... I think this year I am going to try hard and make Christmas a little like it was when she used to have it at her house... Take care Shelley