Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Mother's Day

Hello,

As Mother's Day approaches I find myself dreading it. I feel panic, thinkiing,"how can I hide from it, how can I totally avoid it" etc. This will be my first without my mom. I don't want to ruin it for my own kids, but I want to just sleep thru the day and wake up when its over.

I am trying to come up with a positive plan for the day. Something to celebrate my mom. I know someone said in a post a long time ago, it's too bad we all don't live near eachother, well...here is an idea..what if on Mother's Day at 12:00 noon,(oh,I haven't thought thru the time change for all of us!)S we all stop what we are doing, close our eyes, take a deep breath and send our love to our moms and eachother. It would be like we are all together and think of the energy and love we would create! So, hope you can make it to my celebration, everyone is invited!

Hi AnnieO,

I think it is a great idea and I will definitely do it.... That is a perfect way to give the attention to our beloved mothers who have past away... And a good reason to allow ourselves to feel some love through our feelings... Take care Shelley

Annie, dear ~

What a lovely idea! Your kind invitation is accepted, and I will be there with all of you, at noon on Mother's Day, Sunday, May 13, feeling the love, and sending it to my precious mother, too. I'd like to think of all of our moms together that day, having a heavenly Mother's Day Brunch, and sending all of that love right back here to all of us. (So that you can introduce your mothers to mine, her name is Evelyn Cecilia Merritt, and she exchanged her earthly address for a heavenly one on October 6, 1993.) :wub:

I will be there also. it will be a hard day for me with out my mom. i also have my bone marrow biopsy on friday so for a week i will be nervously awaiting the results. i really wish my mom was here so i tell her how i am feeling and hear what she would tell me. i know i can talk to her but i want to hear her voice. lori

Oh my dear Lori, I know you want to hear your mother's voice ~ and you can, if you listen with your heart instead of your ears! You've known your mother's voice since before you were born, you've known it all your life, and you can hear it still, in the silence of your heart. Give your mom a voice by having her write a letter to you, or place her in the empty chair next to you and listen very carefully to what she has to say to you. Please, please do not go into this bone marrow biopsy on Friday thinking that you are all alone. Your mother is right there with you, in your very DNA! And we will all be right there with you too, as you are being held by all of us in gentle thought and prayer.

Annie, thanks for starting this. I know it's going to be the first mothers day without our moms for a few of us. My Mom's name was Mae. I never thought of it before...that Mothers Day is in May and her name was Mae (of course different spelling!)

Trudy, Bursie certainly is a great name!

Hi All,

I have all ready replied that I will be there, My mom's name is Gwendolyn Annie Starkey and she was 76 when she died..... Take care and Thinking of you all Shelley

Thank You Marty. I know in my heart she is always with me, it is just at times like this i wish she was here. i am just very afraid. my husband will be with me but not allowed in the room. i will fill my mind with wonderful memories of my mom and think about that while they do the procedure. Lori

My moms name is Kathleen Patricia May

Bursie is a cajun name given to her by my cajun Grandmother. Her name, Bursie Simoneaux Hebert, is pronounced Bursie Simono Abear. We are all cajuns down here with names that are not pronounced the way they look. She is smiling right now because you guys love her name. She hated it. In school, she got teased a lot. Her friends used to call her Bursie Simoneaux-mo. Today is her birthday. She would have been 76. Her first since she's gone.

I went to visit my 57 year-old cousin, her nephew, yesterday. He is dying of cancer. We are waiting to get the dreaded phone call any moment now. I know I'll never see him alive again. He lives 2 hours away. My Mom and his Dad (her brother) will be happy to see him.

Needless to say, it was a rough weekend. Thanks for listening.

Happy Birthday Mom!

Missing my Mom,

Trudy

Hello All,

I haven't been around much lately, but as Mother's Day approaches, I feel the need to reconnect. This is my 2nd Mother's Day without my Mom in this world and in many ways I feel better than I did last year at this time. I don't miss my Mom any less but the precious memories and the lessons of life and love fill me every single day. I keep her memory fresh and tell stories of her when I can. I'll be with all of you in spirit celebrating your Moms on Sunday. My Mom will be with all of them...her name is Trina Marie.

Hugs to you all,

Lori

This is my first time posting here, but this is also my first Mother's Day without my mom. I really miss her and my daughters so miss their grandma. I'm spending the day with my girls and my dad. We are going to my mom's grave and planting flowers and putting up a cross windchime. My thoughts and prayers to all who are missing their moms not only Sunday but everyday. My mom is Barbara Jo Ann and she left this world December 4, 2006.

Lisa J...Great idea about visiting your moms grave on Mothers Day. I wish that I could go and visit my moms grave on mothers day as well. I live on the other side of the country, therefore it isn't possible for me to get there. The first time that I will see it since she died will be the beginning of August when my family will go back east for her "stonesetting". In the Jewish religion it is a time for friends and family to gather around the grave and say a few prayers. This takes place within the first year after the passing. I will have to bring her her mothers day bouquet when I visit her grave in August!

I know my husband wants to keep me busy and my mind occupied on this Mothers Day. I can tell that he's getting a little concerned about me and how I'm going to be. We'll spend the day with his parents and our one daughter that lives in town. Our other daughter lives out of town, but she's coming to visit us in a couple weeks, so she wants to do another Mothers Day for me when she gets into town.

I'm just going to try to go with the flow and whatever emotions come, let them come. We should picture an imaginary chain where we (all of us on this site) are all linking elbows together in strength. Together we can all get through this!!!

Take care...Lori

Lori,

I love the picture of us "linking elbows in strength"...Let's do that!

Now, how will we figure out the time thing? I know we could all just do this at noon our own time, but wouldn't it feel great to think at one exact moment we are all together in strength and love? what if we pick a city and we all figure out it it's noon there, what time will it be at home. Chicago? Or any other suggestions? I am really looking forward to this!

Lisa J. I am glad you are here. I am sorry about your mom. I lost my mom Dec 7th 2006.

Lori, Your ceremony in August sounds wonderful. How nice for everyone to get together. Before my mom passed away I never really gave much thought going to a gravesite. But I do find comfort going there. Even though I know she's not really there. I forgot to mention my husband - he's been wonderful about everything. I don't know what I would do without him.

Lisa

Hi,

I too have not been around in quite awhile but feel that with Mother's Day and my birthday fast approaching I need some support. This is the first Mother's Day without my mom too and my birthday is 8 days later and another first without my mom. My mom passed away August 1, 2006. I love the idea that was mentioned earlier in this topic and I will be joining you all as well. My mother is Margaret Ann Schrodt Murray and she was 68 when she died. I miss her each and every day.

Libby

Hello,

I just looked up Chicago's time zone. They are in the Central Time Zone.

So, let's go with Noon-Chicago time for our Mother's Day celebration. Now we all need to figure out the time difference .

There are lots of websites about time zones, hope this will be easy to figure out. I want to thank everyone for doing this with me.

Hi All,

If we are using the time zone of Chicago than I know that I am one hour time difference for me... In the front of our local phones there was a map and it showed all the different time zones so I was able to find out how many time difference between the two zones were... So I will definitely be here.... Take care and It is so very nice to know that we have this common thread to bring us all together eventhough it is our grief.... Take care Shelley

I will be joining you all as well. My mom's name was Eileen and she passed March 24, 2007. I will be saying a prayer for her, for your mother's and for all of you. May this day at this time bring us all a sense of comfort and peace. Any may all of our mother's who have passed give us a sense that they are truly with us on this special day.