Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Mother's Day

I never heard of the white carnation tradition. But, my daughter that's getting married told me that her mother in law to be (that is ordering the flowers) is ordering me a special white carnation to wear in honor of my mom. I'm glad I found out about it before the wedding or I'd be a mess if they suprised me with it the day of!

Dear Annie,

Thanks for the idea of sending our love to our mothers. Tomorrow, here in Phoenix, we are having an ice cream social remembrance to honor our mom's on mother's day. I will include your suggestion with the 70+ people who will be attending. In fact, as part of our closing ritual, we will gather in a circle, hold hands, say each mom's first name, and send our love in unison. I will also send my love on Sunday at noon. I am honoring my grandmother, Meta, who helped raise me and inspired me to help others. Her teaching to me for a good life was: faith, family, and philanthropy. Love, Dee, Bereavement Counselor

I just wanted to share with everyone what I am doing. I was talking to one of my friends that cut out an article in her local newspaper on making new traditions for Mothers Day as we deal with the loss of our moms. It was suggesting to pick something personal for us...looking at pictures, planting flowers...something to carry on every year as a new tradition to honor our moms on Mothers Day. This can be done on birthdays, Fathers Day, etc. as well. So I just went online and "planted" two trees in Israel for both my parents. It isn't a religious website, but talks about replenishing the land that needs more vegetation. The website for anyone interested is: www.treesfortheholyland.com . I like the idea of "giving life" to a park or a hillside or a forest. In fact, I am also going to get some summer flowers for the backyard to plant in honor of my mom. On Fathers Day, I am going to do the same for my dad.

Looking forward to tomorrow noon Chicago time where we will all share a moment together with our moms!

Take care...Lori

Reminder of Annie's Idea for Mother's Day:

On Mother's Day at 12:00 noon, let us all stop what we are doing, close our eyes, take a deep breath and send our love to our moms and to each other. It would be like we are all together, and think of the energy and love we would create! So, hope you can make it to my celebration, everyone is invited!

So we can all prepare ourselves for our meeting at the same time tomorrow (noon Chicago time, 10:00 a.m. Arizona time), here are links to some places where we all can figure out how to synchronize our times:

United States Time Zones

Canada Time Zones

Mexico Time Zones

World Clock Time Zone Converter

i am dreading tomorrow. it will be my first without my mom. i had my bone marrow biopsy on friday and now i wait. it will take 2 weeks to get results. as i was laying on the table , terrified, i cried. i cried for my mom, i wanted so bad to have her there. 39 yrs old and i still need her so. i should of told her that more while she was here. instead i tried to hide my emotions. on that table i felt like a little girl again who just wanted to be held by there mom. oh how i miss her soooooooo.

thanks for listening. i wish each and everyone of you a very Happy and Blessed Mothers Day. may we all feel our mothers love tomorrow. Lori

Lori...I am so sorry for how you are feeling. My heart goes out to you. I hope that your tests don't show anything to worry about. I'm sure that your mom was with you yesterday and will be with you on mothers day.

Love and hugs...Lori

Just a reminder...12:00 Central Time.....Stop what you are doing, close your eyes, take a deep breath, imagine all of us linking arms and sending our love to our mothers and eachother. Thank you for helping me do this, I hope it gives us all the strength to get thru today.

Well, I know I felt it today! At 12:00 I had a wonderful picture in my mind, all of us joining arms and I imagined a ray of light coming from each of us, going directly up into the sky. I have no doubt that our mom's felt it!

This morning I shared the idea with my daughter andshe wanted to be a part of it. We decided to go up to the highest point on our property, on horseback... it was a wonderful moment. Of course the rest of the day was very hard, but for that brief time, I felt peace and I hope you all felt the same. You are all in my thoughts.

Thanks Annie. My husband had made breakfast for us around 10:00 this morning which is 12:00 Chicago time. Right before we ate, I excused myself, went into the bathroom and closed my eyes and really felt an energy of us linking arms and our moms. I said a few private words to myself and that was it. It was really nice. The rest of the day was nice but up and down emotionally. I have a very dear friend who had to have emergency surgery a few days ago and I was very emotional about it because I was finally able to talk to her today. We did go to buy flowers to plant, we saw my inlaws and one of my kids. So that part was nice.

I miss my mom so much. I hope she had a peaceful day in heaven and felt our well wishes with the other moms.

Take care...Lori

Hi All,

I bet it was totally amazing I am just sorry I could not do it.... I was asked my a neighbor's daughter to attend her gymnastics competition so I went and it was great to see all the young girls doing such amazing events... So I did miss the mother's day hour but I did say a few words privately to my mom and told her to have fun with all the other mom's their were in Heaven with her... Luck her she had her own mom Rose, and her mother-in-law Jean with her.... Take care Shelley