Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Today I Scattered His Ashes

Today it seemed right...it's been almost two years since my best friend, my Love, my husband, passed away from this world and into the next. I had him cremated, as he'd wished, but we never had settled on exactly where that place would be that we'd rest together...we thought we had years left in which to pick that place out. We'd talked about it and always figured it'd be on our favorite walk, that we'd develop a special place to walk together. But as I remember our "walks"...it was his "I'll just wait for you here, Hon" and he'd stop to rest and have a cigarette, while I walked and got my health in. I never dreamed he'd die so soon. So when he died, I didn't know where to scatter his ashes and I waited, I wanted time to think about it, it had to be the right place. And I wasn't quite ready to let go of them either, I suspect. It seems to me that George lived such a troubled life, he faced so much hardship, and the world out there was tumultous for him. He suffered from anger and paranoia, and had so much to overcome and deal with in his life. But his life here with me was different. Here he was happy, truly happy. He was so very pleasant to live with, so fun, easygoing, so enjoyable. He was great with my kids and great with me. He always called this place our "home in the clouds"...we live on a mountain with tall trees and lots of greenery and deer or elk occassionally peeking through. You can hear a creek running by that abutts our property. We used to sit out on the deck and watch the hummingbirds come to feed and listen to the quiet and the sound of the crickets. He loved this place more than any place in the world, and so today, Memorial Day, it seemed right that this be where I lay his ashes to rest, on our property, where our cat "King George" is buried. I wish I could write a beautiful tribute like Dusky, but I don't know the words to express what I am feeling tonight. My sweet gentle man is at rest in the place he loves the most, his home in the clouds, the place where, Lord willing, I will also be laid to rest someday, for this is the place where I have spent the best of my life, the place I raised my kids, the place where I have known love, the place of serenity and peace.

Edited by kayc

Kay, there's nothing so strong and sweet as a tribute that so obviously comes from the heart. Reading about a true love really brightens the day, and though it's late night here, my day is brighter reading words reflecting yours. Clearly, you were lucky to have found one another.

Thanks for glance into yours and George's mountain Shangri-la, and sharing your progress. - Steve

Kay - I think it's wonderful that you scattered George's ashes at your "home in the clouds". I sure George is VERY happy about that. You would want to do that somewhere that he loved. That is why Charlie's ashes are in 3 different places. I know some people think that is strange...that I shouldn't have "split up" his ashes, but I don't look at it that way. I wanted them to be in places that he loved and was happy to be at. Some were scattered in a small ceremony at the Colorado River, at the AZ & CA border. We went there almost every weekend with his sister & BIL. We boated and he rode his jetski there and loved it. Some I sent to Alaska to have a friend of his take up in the mountains to be "released". He LOVED being in Alaska - especially in the mountains. And the remainder (the biggest part) I took to his favorite lake in CA. He lived there for years with his family and waterskied that lake every day - another place he loved.

I think he's extremely happy with the decisions I made. I know I am.....

I think it will give you peace of mind! Now he will always be there with you.

Hugs

Patti

George lived such a troubled life... But his life here with me was different. Here he was happy, truly happy. He was so very pleasant to live with, so fun, easygoing, so enjoyable. He was great with my kids and great with me.... I wish I could write a beautiful tribute ....My sweet gentle man is at rest in the place he loves the most, his home in the clouds, the place where, Lord willing, I will also be laid to rest someday, for this is the place where I have spent the best of my life, the place I raised my kids, the place where I have known love, the place of serenity and peace.

Kay - Thanks so much for sharing with us. :)

Your sincere words from the heart are a most beautiful tribute to George. No wonder he was, as you wrote, "happy, truly happy" whenever or wherever he was with you. :)

Kayc; You are a wise woman to have waited until the clarity of the right path flowed before you. Isn't it amazing how some things just fall into their correct places? Your careing goodness will flow back to you. Such a loving heart completes its' own circle. My love, doublejo

Thank you all for your kind words. As John said, "Maybe this can become a family plot...", it's where we laid our 19 year old cat "King George" to rest, and where my George is now...indeed, it's where I want to be when my time comes. I know the ashes are not "them", their spirit is gone already, but it is symbolic and somehow it means a great deal to me to even have that physical presence there.