Grief Healing Discussion Groups

House Sale

Hello,

Once again I find myself here at the site looking for support.

As you know we have had my parent's house up for sale.We got an offer today, spent the day going back and forth and finally everyone agreed on the price and details. I met the realtor to sign the papers to move ahead with the inspection and arranging the closing date.(Aug.22). This is what we were hoping for, we need to sell the house to help my dad out finacially. And I need to have it sold so I am not taking care of it any longer. So, when this is what we needed, why am I a complete wreck today. I can't stop crying, the realtor wanted to meet me at the house and I couldn't do it. I can't imagine walking in there for the last time. It's strange, I never even lived in this house with my parents. It's not my childhood home. It just seems so final and real. I can't imagine seeing all their furniture carried out. I know I have to be strong the next few weeks, but not sure I can do this. Thanks for listening, I know so many of you have been thru this .

Annie,

While I haven't been through this, I can certainly feel your pain. I know how hard it is to let go of anything that is connected with your lost loved one. A house is a big deal. After all, it is where they lived and where their "presence" was. I'm so sorry you have to go through this pain. It will probably take awhile to get past this situation, but hang in there, it will not seem so traumatic down the road. Good luck.

A big hug,

Shell

Shell,

Thank you for your kind words. I had a conversation with my brother and he was feeling the same way yesterday, really struggling. He said he often thought that he would one day walk into the house and my parents would be there. I guess thats why the sale of the house makes it so real. Thanks again .

First of all, I am so sorry for your loss! I lost my mama on 5/30/07. It is still so hard and unreal. I still have my daddy. He is 84. I too think about someday what will happen to their house and property. I have 3 older brothers I am the youngest daughter - age 50. I was raised there and now live next door to them. I can't bear the thoughts of someone else living in their house and everything gone. My thoughts are with you!

Hi Annie,

I just want to say that I am sorry for the pain you are feeling and the sadness that you are going through right now... I hated to see the for sale sign on my parent's place...I lost my mom in April 2005, I lost my dad in August 2005, I lost my job in October 2005, I lost my parents house and the house I grew up in November of 2005... So I can imagine the pain and sadness you must be feeling right now... It is so hard to see someone else using things that were used by your lost loved ones... The hardest thing other than the house, car, and trailer, was my mom's electic scooter... I just kept saying that mom and dad would want someone to get use out of these things... I was made to leave the house I did not have a choice... There was a mortage on the house and I could not do anything to save the house... So three months after my dad died I said good bye to the only house I knew... Take care and I will keep you in my prayers Shelley