Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Closing On House Advice

Hello,

I am desperately looking for info or advice on a problem with the closing on my parent's house. Is there anyone here that is a realtor or works for a title company? I do not want to bring my mom's death cert to the closing, for all involved to see. This is so beyond private and personal for me...I am a wreck. It doesn't help that our realtor is the biggest gossip and lives in my parent's neighborhood. We have come so far in protecting my family from cruel and ignorant people ...I can't believe it's going to come out this way. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Please contact me if you have any ideas. Thank you!

Annie,

I have no advice, wish I did or knew something about this. Just wanted to let you know I'll be thinking of you and hope you find a way around this problem. Have you talked to a lawyer? Seems they would know if it's an absolute must to show the death cert. or maybe a way around it. Good luck!

Hugs,

Shell

I will try to ask the girl at work her boyfriend owns a realtor but every state may have different rules. i live in NJ. I think you should call the board who regulates Real Estate and ask them the ques. also pick a realtor not in your town and just call up and ask that ques. i don't think it can hurt.

i am sorry you have to go through this. i know how cruel people can be when they get gossip. Just hold you head up high and remenber your mom for who she was . we are all here for you. lori

Annie-

I am so sorry you are having to go through this.

I don't know anything about this kind of thing- I would think it would depend on who's name the house is in? I am praying for you, right this minute.

I live in a small town, and I know exactly what you are going through!

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

Hopefully, we can pull this off. We are calling the closing/title agent this afternoon and telling her we will bring the death cert. over to her a day before and she can verify it and copy it, we then will request it be filed and held out of the actual closing. We found out the only person that needs to see it is the title agent. I have probably made this into a huge ordeal that really didn't need to be, but I just feel so strongly about protecting my family's privacy. Now, if I can just get thru the closing without sobbing, but that seems to be all I am doing the last few days, so that probably won't happen! Thank you again for your help, a special thank you goes to Marty.

Hi Annie O,

I know when my brother and sister closed my parents home they had to have a death certificate... A matter of fact what ever we did that involved my parent's estate it seemed to need a death certificate... I am sorry that I am not much help but I live in Canada and it is totally different up here I guess... Take care and here's to the hopes that things get better for you Shelley