Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Get Over It!

Get Over It!

Today marks 28 months of loneliness for me.

That is 122 weeks without my wife for over 40 happy years.

852 days since she took her last breath and our son asked "Is that it?".

About 20,500 hours since I left her for the last time in her Palliative Care bed.

Around 1,250,000 minutes of being a widow - that's only 74 Million seconds - but who's counting?

When will I "get over" the loss?

As was said in a video that I watched recently, "You don't "get over" true love."

And who would want to forget about the good times? Not me - that's for sure!

You can watch it Here

Marcel Proust wrote:

"...one day - an idea that will horrify you now - this intolerable misfortune will become a blessed memory of a being who will never again leave you."

Love is forever. You will always be in my heart - little Jeannie!

WaltC,

Thanks for sharing. When you break down the length of time a loved one had been gone (2+ years) into hours, minutes and seocnds it seems a much greater amount of time.

I watched the video you attached to your message - and - it says it all perfectly. You do not "get over it" as so many people want us all to. Love is simply someting you do not "get over." I guess its hard for most people to understand unless they are faced with it personally.

Love never dies - so there is no need to "get over it".

I'm glad you shared this with us all.

You're a good man Walt.

Love and Peace.

John - Dusky is my handle on here

Love you Jack

Walt,

Those are three words I will never say to anyone and hope to never hear...you do not get over it, but rather have to learn to adapt to it. Our loved ones forever remain in our heart along with each and every memory, and you're right, no one can ever take that from us. Have a good day, Walt, I wish I could ease your loneliness and pain.

WaltC, you always mirror my feelings exactly. I don't feel I've made much progress in accepting any of this grief. I just count the time in disbelief. People say to me you have to choose to go on with your life. Maybe thats what I'm fighting against. Thanks for sharing Waltc, may you find some peace along the way. Deborah

I've not been on the receiving end of "get over it". It makes no sense....you don't get over love. I carry all this love for Gene in my heart. I have heard "aren't you lonely?". Yes, but they don't understand..........it's not being alone....it's being without the one loved. Thank you WaltC.

Always Gene!

Always!

Walt,

I get it alot also, GET OVER IT!!, you pose a interesting food for thought, thanks for the insight, now perhaps the public can grasp it for awhile.