Grief Healing Discussion Groups

A Much Needed Smile

My wonderful, husband David, has been gone four months now. This past week-end, however, he provided me with a much needed smile. In March David asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I replied,"I'm tired of white walls in the kitchen. I want 2 gallons of paint so we can brighten it up. I taped up about 14 samples of colors around the room and afted a week of looking at them, David picked out the color he wanted. He went in for surgery on April 17, and died unexpectedly on April 19. I, of course, didn't give painting the kitchen any thought until this last weekend. It had been an emotionally rough week and I thought this chore would bring me closer to him. One coat of primer and 3 coats of paint later, I realized just how color blind my beloved husband was. My kitchen looks like a shiny ripe tomato. As I looked at it this morning, I could hear David give a laugh and exclaim "Holy S--T! Well, you said you wanted bright" ;-) I've decided I'm going to keep the color since David picked it out and also every time I get really down, I know I have a room to go to that will bring a smile to my heart. Hope it brought a bit of a smile to all you friends out there. Jan :wub:

Well, I'm smiling. Bless your heart for such a good attitude. You sound like a wonderful person and I really am sorry you lost your husband. He sounds much like my husband. Thanks for sharing this great story.

Your friend, Karen

I love it! And if you decide later that you really can't live with THAT much color, a lot of people do one or two walls in one color, and a more subdued color on the other walls but in the same tones...for instance, a very pale yellow with shades of red on another wall. We just did "shading" at work and it gives a nice subtle effect of enhancing and bringing out colors without overpowering. In the meantime, enjoy you and your hubby's sense of humor!

Edited by kayc

Guest moparlicious

What a great story, thank you for sharing that. My husband has been gone only 18 days and I am just trying to get through another day somehow???????????? God bless you. Kim