Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Pets Are Such A Comfort

I've just come in from walking my black lab, Sadie Mae, out in our "back 40." She is such a comfort. We've had 3 and the other two died from cancer. Jack and I always walked her out there and it was our evening thing. She sat next to his chair after he died for a long time. I don't say his name too much around her because she tilts her head with this questioning look. She is my 24-hour-a-day companion. I talk to her like I would another person. I can't do the things we use to do with her because she'd take off, even on a leash, if something really interested her and I would be dragged behind her. She is big and I'm about 110 lbs. That would be a sight! I'd love to hear, my friends, how your pet has helped you.

Your friend...Karen :wub:

Karen,

I certainly do agree with you ! I lost my husband Steve very unexpectedly 6 months ago Friday to a blood clot to the heart after being together 34 years, I was only 15yrs old when we met. Anyhow I have 6 Japanese Chins who are the type to cling to humans, people always say I have a little train of 6 cars that follow me. But what they do at night now, and they started this the night he died is they completely surround me while I am sleeping. It is so touching and comforting to me, I don't know what I would do without them.

Wendy

Karen

I agree whole heartedly. Everyone kept telling me to get a dog to keep me company but I didn't feel like I was ready. I couldn't take care of myself much less something else that required attention and care. I also felt as though I wasn't capable of loving anything or anyone again. But on May 23rd I went to the animal shelter and found a little Maltese mix that I just adore. She was so easy to fall in love with and has been great company for me. I started out leaving her in the kitchen at night. That lasted only one night and Layla had a mind of her own. She jumped the gate I had put up and into my bed she came where she has remained since. She decided not to be a dog anymore! She puts her head on my pillow and lays beside me every night. Sometimes when I can't sleep, she starts licking my neck as if to say, Mom I'm here. I truly believe animals can sense your sorrow.

Suzanne

I'm so glad you have Layla. I have a Sadie Mae. She sleeps with me, starting out on her blanket at the foot of the bed and by morning she has her back against my back. She gardens with me...I dig a hole, she digs a hole. I'm glad we find this comfort, truly.

Karen

I am a firm believer that animals really do help. i have one dog and 5 cats and never could i live my life with out a pet. My mom loved animals and i think thats were i get it. i have worked for a vet for 15 yrs and really love it. i see and hear so many wonderful stories. thanks for sharing all of yours. Lori

A couple of months after George died, our cat Tigger ran away...he was closer to George than to me, but we'd raised him from a kitten, and it really hurt. A month or two later I was given a wonderful sweet cat named Chappy, and it seemed God had given him to me in my George's absence. Chappy was the most loving needy cat I've ever seen. He always slept with me, hugging me and burying his head in my neck with his arms around my neck. When I would come home from work he would demand my attention until he got it. I loved Chappy with all my heart. A month ago, I thought he'd ran away and was very puzzled by it, but then I learned we had a cougar roaming the wood that abut our place and that is what claimed the life of Chappy, and also a neighbor's cat. I miss him so much and always will. Now I don't let my animals go out at night, only in the daytime, for that is when Cougars are most likely to strike. I still feel Chappy was my little godsend, but I don't know why I had to lose him so soon.

I'm sorry, Kay. It's so hard to lose a pet that's become family. I'm really sorry. I lost two black labs to cancer but my Sadie Mae is fine so far. I hope you'll be able to fine another companion and want to. Cougars are frightening....I've encountered a female with her two young ones when I was camping. Very frightening. Take care, Kay, and have a good day.

Karen

Karen,

Yes, cougars are nothing to mess with, it was an eerie sound to hear it hissing at me and my son's dog when Skye needed to go to the bathroom at 2:00 a.m. not too long ago. It was then that I knew what had happened to my sweet Chappy. I don't understand why I had to lose Chappy any more than I had to lose my George, but I guess it's not for us to understand, but accept that it is so. I cannot replace Chappy but cherish him and my memories in my heart. I still have a dog and a cat left and my son's dog that I am temporarily taking care of. Animals can be a lot of work but they can also be the enjoyment in our day!