Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Just Checking In

LoriS.

Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I have posted and just wanted to see how everyone was doing. I've been doing ok. I had a mini breakdown a couple of weeks ago when I talked to my moms best friends daughter who told me that her mom (my moms best friend...age 86) has my moms picture on her nightstand and a locket with their picture in it from when they were 15 hanging from her nightstands lamp. They were best friends since they met when they were about 10 years old. I can't imagine having a best friend for 76 years. I get teary thinking about my moms friend and how sad she has been since my mom passed away. My moms friend and her husband were the best of friends with my parents. They have been married 66 years...as my parents would have been.

I sobbed for an hour after I hung up from that phone call. I hadn't cried like that in a few months. I'm coming up to the one year mark next month. It's going to be hard.

On a good note, my daughters wedding is only 3 weeks away! I can't believe it! I really am excited about it, yet with a lump in my throat knowing my parents won't be there. I know that during the ceremony that there will be reference to my mom as my daughters wedding band has some small diamonds in it that were in my moms wedding ring. I have so many emotions regarding this wedding. Mostly good, yet sad too. It'll be bittersweet.

Anyways I've been reading some of the posts from the new people and all I can say is that the sadness never goes away, we just learn to deal with it in what becomes our "new normal". It really does get better...I promise.

Hugs to everyone...Lori

Lori,

When I called one of my moms friends, to tell her about my mom, she started crying and, of course, so did I. So I know the feelings you're having about that. It is so sad, and sometimes we forget we aren't the only ones suffering our loved ones loss. I call her every once in awhile to keep in touch and it's nice. I told her I thought of her as my Aunt and she said she thought of me as her niece. My mom had so many friends (my dad was in the service, so a lot of her friends were in other states) and the calls I had to make to them were hard, but also nice that so many people loved her.

The wedding will be bittersweet, but I'm glad you have something happy to focus on. It does help to have something to do and keep your mind busy!

Hugs.

Shell