Grief Healing Discussion Groups

We Lost Our Little Peaches

Corinna

I'm grateful to have found this website. My husband and I lost one of our little dogs on Wednesday, October 10th. She was a beautiful and gentle little grey and white Shih Tzu called Peaches.

Although she was 14 years old, she had recently had a check-up and had no major health problems. She seemed to be in very good health for her age. Unfortunately, she had massive heart failure on Wednesday night - very unexpectedly.

My husband and I are devastated. I feel worse than I did when my beloved grandparents died. It has been 4 days and I feel like I don't care about anything anymore. I'm 4 months pregnant and I suddenly don't care about the pregnancy or my job or anything. I think I may need to get professional counseling, because I'm having a hard time functioning.

We rescued little Peaches from a shelter 2 years ago, so we only had her in our lives for 2 years. But she was such a sweet, happy little dog. She was blind from cataracts, and she needed a lot of care, but I think that just made us closer to her.

We still have another little Shih Tzu, Sasha, who is 6 going on 7. I am trying to cuddle with Sasha, but I feel very numb.

I keep going on the Internet, trying to find out whether dogs are in Heaven or in some kind of afterlife. We actually spoke to an animal communicator a couple of nights ago, who said Peaches was okay and feels better now than she did when she was on earth (she wasn't sick exactly but she had a lot of minor ailments, like allergies and skin problems - and of course she was blind too). I wish I had more faith that I will see her again.

Corinna

Corinna, I'm so sorry to learn of the sudden, unexpected death of your dear little Peaches. I'm so glad you found your way to this precious place, and I want to be sure that you also know about my Grief Healing Web site, where you'll find lots of additional information, comfort and support. See especially the resources listed on my Pet Loss Articles page.

You say you feel worse than you did when your beloved grandparents died. Let me assure you that the relationship you had with Peaches was quite different from the one you had with your grandparents, and so was the role that Peaches played in your everday life ~ and that is part of the reason that you are reacting in this way to this particular death. You are the only one who knows how much Peaches meant to you, and right now, you are the only one who can measure how much you have lost.

I hope that you will linger here a while, and read what our other members have to say about the very special relationship they have with their beloved animal companions ~ and know that you are not alone. You will always be welcome here, and you have our deepest sympathy.

Marty,

Thank you for your kind words - and for helping organize this web site. It has been a godsend over the past few days.

My husband and I went to church yesterday to light a candle for little Peaches. After the service, my husband went up to the priest and, his voice cracking, asked him if dogs went to heaven. The priest kind of laughed nervously - I think he thought maybe it was a joke. Then when he realized my husband was serious, he said he didn't know if pets went to heaven. That was kind of a blow.

My mother went to the Episcopal church where we also sometimes go - and she told the minister that we'd just lost a pet. She said we were wondering if pets went to heaven. He told her we will definitely see Peaches in heaven again, which made me feel a lot better. He also told my mother that he recently lost his own dog and that he'd be happy to talk to us - so we may do that.

Even though we still have our other dog, Sasha, the house feels so empty without little Peaches.

Corinna

Corinna,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please hold and love your Sasha tight. I only wish right now I had another 4 legged friend to love. Without my Ryker, I feel so empty. Physically I can't look for another dog right now since I just had surgery, but when I can I will try to find another to love. Right now I "wheel" down the road to pet my neighbors dogs just because I feel so lost without mine. It's been almost 3 months and believe me, the only way I've kept any sense of sanity is by having faith that I will see my Ryker again. He was truely the best friend I had on this Earth.You have to to have Faith!! I still cry daily but I get through it with prayers. I wish you and your husband well.

Corinna I just lost my beloved timber wolf/siberian husky, Nvwati to a massive heart attack on Sept. 28, 2007. He was absolutely fine just an hour prior to his sudden passing.

I think its the shock that hits us first eh? It felt like my heart would explode . Day by day its seeming to be a bit more tolerable but I will ALWAYS love and miss my "bubs".

Take care of yourself. I a m glad you found this site. It sure helps!