Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Wow!! It is so hard to believe that in 3 days I will have been without the man I loved more than anything, for 3 years. If I recall correctly, Larrysgirl will be at 2 years the same day. Amazing how fast time goes by... I can tell you that I am adjusting to my "new" life. I still miss Charlie so much, but mostly the crying has stopped. I've been busy working and trying to keep my "head above water" with the way the economy has changed. After the first of the year I'm going to put my house up for sale, mostly because I can't afford to live here. Charlie never liked the house we bought here in Arizona, so it's not really a big deal. (other than the fact that I don't want to move....I hate moving - and now I'll have to do it by myself) Hopefully I can sell it and make a little bit off of it, so I have some money to start elsewhere.

I do want to remind everyone (maybe mostly the people in AZ...) that our Widow/Widower get-together lunch is this coming Sat. (17th) at Applebee's on Central Ave. & Camelback (downtown Phoenix). We meet at 1pm and we would LOVE to have anyone that is interested join us! It's only lunch, chatting and meeting new friends that have a common bond with you. We have all become fast friends and I truly enjoy seeing them once a month. So, if you can and would like to....please come join us!!

Larrysgirl....big hugs to you this Friday!!! I remember when you first came to this website and we found out we had the same day...only a year apart! I have to work that day, so I'm hoping it just kindof comes and gos. I think of Charlie EVERY day, so I know I'll get through it.

I know I don't write here very much anymore, but I try to read as often as I can. I'm keeping up with all of you!

Take care and hugs to all!!

Patti

Edited by missingcharlie

Patti,

It is so good to see that you all have that in AZ. I wish there was more people on this site from Texas so that we could get the ame thing going.

Marty,

I know that you all are based in AZ, does Hospice in other areas know about this site as well and if not is there a way to get the information to them? I would love to see more people in my area and I am sure others on this site from other states would as well as we have talked about this on other posts.

Love always

Derek

To my knowledge, Derek, right now Hospice of the Valley is one of the few hospices in the country (if not the only one) that offers online grief support officially sponsored by a hospice, and whose forums are carefully monitored and moderated by professional hospice bereavement counselors. I cannot say how many hospices in other areas of the country know about this site, but I do know that we’re doing our best to let them know about it. Our site is always mentioned whenever one of us is interviewed or invited to write an article on the topic of grief. (For example, the site was featured in editor Andrea Gambill’s “Welcome” column in the July 2007 issue of Grief Digest Magazine.) Certainly members of our staff mention the site whenever we attend conferences at the national, regional, and local levels, and dozens of reciprocal links to us have been established through my own Grief Healing Web site.

In addition, I believe that one of the best ways for people to learn about this site is through the personal experiences and recommendations of our individual members. If the site has been helpful to you, you can let others in your own circle know about it. (For example, you can tell Carson’s counselor about the site, so that person or agency can let other bereaved families know about it, too.)

As for informal social gatherings of members in different parts of the country (including here in Phoenix), that is best left up to our individual members to arrange. Even in our “in person” support groups, we recognize that friendships may develop as group members get to know one another outside our groups, and that can be quite wonderful and special ~ but no member should feel any pressure in that regard.

Thanks Marty,

I knew the meetings were left up to indivdual members, I was just hoping that this site was known to more areas other than AZ. I am glad that it is and hopfully I will start seeing more from Texas here. I do spread this site as much as possible when I meet someone who will benifit from it.

Thanks again

Derek

Patti

I will be thinking about you this friday. i to hate to move, there is so much work involved. i hope that you will find a buyer soon and find someplace that you will be comfortable in.

I also wish we had a group here in NJ. i do meet every 4th thurs of the month with a support group. each of us has lost someone it is not for a specific loss. it is nice to see each one every month and i do look forward to it. we meet at a church. i tried to join a daughters w/o mothers group in the beginning but it was to soon for me and i could not go. i was also having those awful panic attacks and was afraid i would have one there.

lori

Patti, my thoughts are with you as you go through this. I know it's hard, we never forget.

Your friend,

KayC

I just wanted to tell you that the lunch I go to did not start with Hospice of the Valley. I found another website, Widownet.org, a long time ago and they are the ones that have get togethers. If you're interested in checking to see if they have them in your area, go onto their website and click on the widownet bulletin board (you might have to register to get in....) and there is a "thread" of get togethers. Register and start chatting with people and see if there is one in your area.

Gotta get to work, so hugs to all of you!!

Patti

Thank you all for your kind thoughts! I cried while I was in the shower getting ready for work, but am hoping the day goes better. I have lit my memorial candle for him and it should still be burning when I get home this evening. I want it to burn atleast up until 10pm which was the time of his death....

My best to Larrysgirl, if she comes here!! I believe she's 2 years today....

Hugs to everyone!!

Patti

(((((Patti))))

I am thinking of you and Charlie today. I hope that your day goes well and that many happy memories fill your day. I know that it's a tough road that we're on, but we do have company. Charlie is with you today and forever - true love never ends! :)

Edited by WaltC

Patti,

I say a prayer for you today, and will continue to pray for you as this day unfolds. I pray this will be a good day for you, that it will be one that has memories that bring a smile to your heart as you think about your Charlie. How blessed we all were to have had relationships with someone who so deeply enriched us!

I haven't been able to post until now. Today is the two year anniversary of Larry's death. An unbelievable thought to me. This anniversary has been harder, more real and surreal. Tomorrow would have been his 53rd birthday. He was so kind, courageous, and loving. This has left a huge hole in my heart and my life. Nothing will ever be the same. His two dogs, Maggie and Kasey will keep me company this evening. They know that I am sad today.

Patti, my thoughts are with you also. You know Charlie is still with you and you carry him in your heart everday. I wanted you to know I'm thinking of you, my friend.

To those of you on this site with me, healing from grief takes a very long time. It is a journey filled with memories, tears and smiles and I'm so thankful for this site and everyones support during these last two years. Deborah

Today as you face this mark, and tomorrow on your husband's birthday, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

That was beautiful, WaltC!! Thank you! I just now had a chance to listen to that and it made me cry. I did pretty good on Friday; we were really busy at work, so it kind of kept my mind off of it. On Friday morning before I left for work I lit the memorial candle, that I light each year, for him. (It's a safe candle - can't tip over and the candle is down inside the glass..) When I got home it was still burning (burns for 24 hrs) so when midnight rolled around, I blew it out (what was left) and went to bed. Charlie passed away at 10 pm so I wanted it to atleast burn during that time.

Thanks so much for all the kind words from all of you!! I appreciate it very much!

Hugs to all of you!!!!

Patti

Walt,

That made me cry...I just had to ask if you are Blue Eyes that wrote this or was it Paul Newman?