Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Heart Attack

Last night I had a heart attack, I had one in August 2004 but this one was worse. I don't think it did any permanent damage, but I'm going to go through a battery of tests to make sure my arteries aren't blocked, etc. It was pretty scary and it hurt like hell, it lasted about 35 minutes but it seemed like hours. I called John and asked him to stay with me (on the phone), I didn't want to be alone...it had to be hard for him being so far away, I could tell he was really scared. He called my son to come up and be with me...I wouldn't let them call an ambulance, I was afraid that would send me over the edge. You see, John was in the hospital this weekend and they never found out what was wrong with him, and just all the stress he went through, and me seeing all that, I just felt I couldn't go through any more. So I have an appt. first thing in the morning. I've been having dizzy spells, I guess it's probably related, I'd thought it was the Diabetes, but I guess not. But I felt I would live...I watched George when he had his fatal attack, and I saw my dad at the end of his life with his heart trouble, and I didn't think mine was as bad as theirs, but I guess one never really knows...we don't get told, "Oh by the way, this is the day you're going to die." Anyway, sorry I haven't been on line, there's just been so much going on, I need to get caught up. I hope everyone here is doing okay.

KayC

Kayc,

I am sorry to hear that you had a rough weekend and that you think you had a heart attack last night. You really should have gone to the hospital last night you need to be very careful with heart attacks and they need to be treated as soon as possible. Please, please make sure you get there in the morning. I will keep you in my prayers. Please let us know how you make out tomorrow.

Hugs and prayers, :wub:

Corinne

Corine,

Thanks for your thoughts, but I just couldn't (go to the hospital last night), I'd already been through so much this weekend, watching John go through the ER thing, the waiting, paperwork, waiting, the stress of it all, only to find out nothing in the end. I just wanted to be home in my comfortable surroundings and try to relax and get past it. I will have everything checked...it runs on both sides of my family and it's not foreign to me. I feel more able to deal with it now. It's just been a really horrible weekend.

Boy, am I sorry this happened, but it may be the wake-up call you needed to take care of yourself. I had it happen to me about four years ago and found out I needed a stink in the main artery in my heart and it works fine fine. I try to eat healthy, exercise 3 times a week, etc. but it's in the family so I am faithful in getting my checkups. It's so scary and I hope your doctors are watching you carefully. Please take care. Stress doesn't help either, but I've often wondered how we get rid of that pesky thing. Again, take care and let us know how you're doing. After all, we are part of your family, too.

Love you friend, Karen :wub:;)

Good Heavens, Kay! I don't know what your symptoms were (or still are), but if you truly believe that you had a heart attack, I urge you to get yourself to a hospital as soon as possible! DO NOT drive yourself ~ ask your son to take you!

I certainly don't want to scare you, but a heart attack must be taken very seriously, and what you've already experienced could be a preliminary warning that more is yet to come. If what you had was an anxiety attack or something less than a heart attack, let the doctors tell you that, based upon their findings, not based upon your assumptions! You really are not qualified to make that diagnosis.

See, for example, Heart Attack Symptoms and Warning Signs.

Kay, we love you so much, and you are such a valued member of our GH family. Please don't ignore these symptoms, and please don't wait until morning to see a medical professional about them! I am very worried about you, and I want you to take good care of you!

Karen,

Thank you...I had to laugh at your typo...getting a "stink" put in and it really helps. :D I just lost 10 lbs so I'm glad for that. I have been under tremendous stress and I feel that is really what is bringing it on...my mom is needing to go into assisted living and doesn't want to and the family is trying to force it...that is stressful, plus we found out John's boss has been under withholding about $150/mo for this last year, he turned in a W-4 and they never entered it into their system so now we'll owe the IRS+penalty and we don't have it, then he went into the hospital this weekend with pain and they can't find the cause and now we're broker yet, plus he got the news he needs $3600 in dental work, and now...this. No, I don't know how to avoid stress either, it seems our world is full of it...that's just another reason we can be glad for our loved ones who've passed on, they no longer have to deal with all this "stuff".

I am already on heart medicine and blood pressure medicine, and may need them changed or adjusted. I am well aware of the symptoms of heart, which are varied and many, but not all have the same combination of symptoms. I was honestly afraid if I had to deal with the medical personnel that my husband had to deal with this weekend, it would be the last straw, I felt very fragile. I feel better able to tackle whatever I need to now. It's possible it was anxiety but I don't think so, heart is very prevalent in my family, both sides, and I not only had the pain and tightness of chest but also the dizziness that comes with it. I plan to take it easy and am trying to get myself into a more stress-free state of mind...that is the hardest part for me. I can diet, exercise, go to the doctor, take meds, but where do you leave stress?

Well, my friend, having the "stink" in my heart has helped. I guess I was in a hurry typing to you! With family experience and your personal experience with heart problems, I feel you know what to do but I sure wouldn't wait around. I went right away when I had those feelings. I was too scared not to. Fortunately, Jack was still here with me and that support system was the best in the world. Please take care, Kay, we care for you and don't want anything to happen to you. Please! Let us know.

Love you, friend....Karen ;)

KayC, my goodness, I'm so sorry!!! You know our bodies try to tell us things and when we don't pay attention, it will bring us down to a halt one way or another. Please take this as a message for you to somehow release some of your stress and worries. You may be taking on too much by yourself. Please rest more, if you can and let us know how you are feeling. We all think of you as family and most of all friend!! Take care of YOURSELF!! Deborah

KayC,

I was so sorry to hear about your medical problems. Please take care of your self and know that you are being mentally visited from this spot in Arizona. Let us know how you are doing - we're all concerned - I am sure.

Love and peace and good health to you,

John - Dusky is my handle on here

Love you Jack

Kay you are scaring me, please make sure you get checked out right away. Waiting can only make it harder to detect if in fact it was an MI you had or a bad anxiety attack. Please get to the doctor first thing tomorrow and please let us know how you are doing. We all love you and need you nice and healthy !!!

Love,

Wendy

P.S. Karen, how's your "Stink" too funny typing that instead of stint. LOL

KayC, you are in my prayers. Please take care of yourself. There are many who need you to be well. You would not hesitate to seek medical help for those you love so let a doctor check you out. We all will be waiting to hear from you. Many prayers going your way.

KayC,

It's really important that you see a doctor as soon as you can to have blood tests.

A few years ago under extreme stress, I had what I thought was a heart attack but was actually an extreme panic attack. My doctors told me that when a person has a heart attack, their body always releases high concentrations of certain enzymes into your bloodstream. If the elevated enzymes don't show up in your blood, it wasn't a heart attack. However: the doctors said that the elevated enzymes don't stay in your blood for very long - so if you don't haves the tests done soon after your episode, it'll be harder for your doctor to determine what caused your symptoms.

I know you don't want to add to your already heavy list of problems. But it's better to know what you're dealing with than to remain in the dark.

Peace and prayers for good health.

Hi, I just got checked and they said it's not heart...I had an EKG and stress test and they looked good, also ran blood work...they said it's a combination of anxiety and reflux, due to stress. They increased some meds and started some new ones, they said my blood pressure is high in spite of the meds I've been on. Somehow I need to destress and calm down...diet, exercise, taking meds, that's the easy part...the chilling out, that's the hard part. :(

KayC,

I'm so glad to hear your heart's OK!

For de-stressing, I've always found that music helps. It doesn't have to be quiet, classical music either; it can be whatever makes you feel good.

Once you find some de-stress methods that work for you, make it a habit to set aside time for them each day, even if it's only 10 or 15 minutes. Make it a priority, because you need more calm in your life - from your description of what's going on in your life, it sounds like you don't have much time to think through the things you're facing and plan how to deal with them.

I'm so glad it wasn't a heart attack. You are so right that destressing isn't easy, but do your best. Thanks so much for letting us know. We've been worried. So, please take care - maybe yoga? I don't do it, but I've heard it's helpful. Take care, Kay, and keep us posted.

Your friend, Karen :wub:;)

Can you hear me breathing a huge sigh of relief, Kay? We've all been so worried about you!

Are you familiar with Belleruth Naparstek's guided imagery CD's? They're a wonderfully effective and fairly inexpensive tool for de-stressing. See, for example, Free Stress Relief Imagery Download.

(Right about now I think maybe we all need to give this a try :wub:)

Kay,

I am so glad to hear that it was not a heart attack I was worried about you. I cannot offer any advice on stress since I cannot control my own at this time. Here's a big hug (((HUG)))

Hugs & prayers, :wub:

Corinne

Guest moparlicious

Kay,

As like many people on this site, we all care so much about you. We do not want to lose you too!!! Please, please go have yourself checked out!!!! This is not something to be ignored. We care about you and you are a very special person.Your posts have helped me get through so many dark days.Keep us posted and go today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love you, Kim :wub: