Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Dog Chelsea

Hi Marty,

Thanks I certainly will, I can not believe that I was brave enough to ask to see her and he said yes.... I am taking Bogey with me because the family is going away sking for the weekend... So I will have Chelsea, Bogey and my brother's two other dogs to have fun with and I can not wait I have been longing for this for along time but was scared to ask permission to see her because he has said no so very often... I hope everyone is okay today and I will keep you all in my prayers because some of you have prayed for me and look now what is almost going to happen I get to see my baby again,.. Shelley

Shelley, dear, we're all sending healthy thoughts and wishes in your direction! We don't want this awful cold to get in the way of your reunion with your best fur-friend! Feel better soon, think positive thoughts, and take good care of you! :wub:

Hi All,

Thank you all for your nice words and well wishes, I can not believe that it is tomorrow that I get to see her, I can hardly wait... Thanks for all the support everyone has given me and I will give her a great big kiss on the nose from you all and a giant hug too... Take care Shelley

Hi All,

I just got home from seeing Chelsea and enjoyed her for the four days I did get to see her... My brother and I were atleast friendly, but I am glad it is over for me seeing him but miss seeing Chelsea all ready..I had to take Bogey the families new dog with me so I spent alot of time making sure the other dogs got along with him as well... Thanks all for your support Shelley

Hi All,

I saw Chelsea, but had to take Bogey with me so when Chelsea usually sleeps with me when I visit I had to take Bogey to bed with me instead because I did not want Bogey to get into anything during the night... I missed the sleeping time with Chelsea a lot... But what can you do I could not leave Bogey home alone while the family was sking and I was visiting my best friend in the world... My brother and I got into the same old fight about driving and I said I have my learner's permit and was going to take lessons in the spring than he started about me spending money on junk and said I should not spend anymore money until I saved enough for a car... I was glad to come home again but miss Chelsea alot... Shelley

Well Shelley it is great that you have your permit! Having just gone through all of this with our son....I would go ahead and call for those lessons and book yourself now for the time you want to take the lessons. Because here I know sometimes one can end up having to wait quite a bit as the driving school's schedules get rather full rather quickly at this time of year. So maybe you could call now and still get your choice of appointments for when Spring arrives. Besides.. I am really hoping our major snow is done for the year by now! (I know I'm ready for Spring!)

Your brother I guess may be trying to warn you about how expensive cars and car insurance is. And I know for us it is quite costly. Purchasing a car today can cost thousands..... and then the insurance can run anywhere from several hundred to a couple thousand depending on where you live and of course any vehicle registration charges you need to pay your State. So yes... that is quite a bit to save for. Now if you have a savings plan in place, that will definitely help you reach the goal of driving and being much more independent. And then maybe you can see Chelsea much more often!

Your brother's manner may not be great Shelley but he is trying, in his own way, to help you get where you want to be.

leeann

Hi Leeann,

I have the lessons booked and for getting a car right now it is just not happening, besides my sister has an van that they rarely use and told me I will be using that to transport the children to and from school and any other reasons I might need it... Take care Shelley

Thanks Leeann,

Yeah I will soon have my licence and than I will see Chelsea all the time but my true fear is her dying before I do get it... I think everyday and dread the phone ringing because it might be my brother who is going to tell me she is gone.... I feel like I let her down and if she dies before I see her than I will never forgive myself...Take care Shelley

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

As the family gathers to celebrate Easter I sit here wondering how my little fur girl is this day, Oh how I miss her and wonder how she is doing and knowing that I can not see her this weekend just hurts because my side does not gather together any more so I miss her so very much... Thanks for listening Shelley

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Well here I am again on another roller coaster ride, Ever since Boomer died I have been thinking about Chelsea so very much... I am not looking forward to hearing when she dies... This weekend I am going away for the first time since last May, It is only to my brother's place to help him celebrate his 50th birthday which his wife is having a surprise party for him which is actually not on his day of birth but on the day my dad would have been celebrating his birthday if he were with us still... So I have decide to visit Chelsea also this weekend since everyone is attending this party... I am so very excited about seeing her but worry she will not remember me since it has been so long... Shelley

Shelley, dear ~ I cannot predict what will happen when you are reunited with Chelsea this weekend, but over the years I've had occasion to meet up with dogs I've had to relinquish for one reason or another, and every single one of them remembered me ~ no matter how long it had been since we'd been apart. Dogs are amazing creatures, and I don't think they ever forget the people who've loved them the most. Just get down to her eye level and begin talking to her, and I'm willing to bet that she will recognize you and shower you with puppy kisses. Go with a positive attitude and a heart filled with love, and I have a very strong feeling that Chelsea will know exactly who you are. Let us know how it goes, okay? ;)

Shelley,

Im sorry to hear you wont be getting to visit with Chelsea this weekend. I know this thread has been going on for awhile and your fear of her passing before you can see her has been with you this whole time. I completely understand your concerns. When my beagle mix started to show his age I worried constantly that he would pass while I wasnt around. I actually ended up having to decide for him when his time came. He was too weak to stand and was having accidents in the house and I knew he was ready, but needed help to let go. 17 years I had him in my life. My sister had an extremely overweight lab that she finally had to help cross the rainbow bridge because he too was having problems getting up and had lots of pain. He was 16. They can surprise us with how strong their will to live can be.

Someone asked a page or two back if Chelsea is ill. I didnt see if you had responded to that. If she is still well and getting up and down alright I think you might be taking time away from all the good memories by worrying she will leave before you get to say goodbye. Try and look at it through a dog's eyes. They live for the moment. They dont worry about what tomorrow will bring. they go and enjoy a warm patch of Sun if thats what they feel like doing or chewing on that very yummy toy they found. They find joy in the life they have. It couldnt hurt for us to try and do that too.

I hope you get to see her often..and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get your licence and can visit her as often as you want. And take tons of pictures. So you can "see" her whenever you wish. :D

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I just wanted everyone to know that I will no longer be seeing my dear sweet Chelsea due to an very heated argument that my brother and I had and I am not welcome in his house anymore... Because Chelsea has been there so many years now I just could not take her away from him so there she will stay forever and if God allows I might see her again if not I will see her in Heaven... Thanks for caring... Shelley

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

My brother and I have settled the argument and as God answers prayers I am going to see Chelsea again and very soon it seems as a matter of fact this weekend coming... How weird will it be to see her after a year... I will play and cuddle her like she was mine and I will have as much fun as possible... But saying good bye at the end of the weekend will be hard again... Shelley

Hi All,

Here I am after a weekend at the cottage and Chelsea was there and I got to see her again.... It was so nice to see her again but I could see how tired she was and how old she looked... I figure she has to be about 12 years old this year and that might be the last time i see her again... Shelley

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I just heard from my brother who has Chelsea and he told me that her seizures are getting worst and she is not climbing the stairs anymore... I just worry so much for her and I want to see her but I am scared that I will just cry when I see her and how bad she is getting... I fear another death of someone special to me.. If I do not see her though I will never forgive myself that I left her when she really needed me...Shelley