Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Shocked & Devastated

Brutey'sMom

We lost our 2 1/2 year old dog Brutus yesterday morning. He passed away in his sleep at the veterinary clinic, where he had been since Thursday. Last Wednesday he was a strong, athletic, happy sweet dog (aust shep/germ shep mix) in perfect health. A shining light in our lives, our eager playmate and the protector of our home. Thursday morning he could not get up out of his crate or move his back legs. He was diagnosed with acute ascending paralysis but the cause was never determined. All tests came up negative. The vets were as shocked as we were. Never in a million years did we expect this could happen to our beloved Brutey-dog. When I got the call yesterday I was convinced it had to be a terrible mistake. But he is gone.

This all happened in the span of 4 days (one of which was my daughter's one year birthday) and my mind is reeling. We are all in a daze (me, hubby, 1 yr old dd and 13 yr old stepson). This dog was so integrated in our lives. We picked him out of a litter when he was just a few weeks old and brought him home at 7 weeks. He was gentle and loving with the baby and made mealtimes fun by snacking on all the crumbs she would throw on the floor. No matter how fussy she was, as soon as she saw Brutus she would start laughing. I was convinced that "doggy" would be her first word.

I can't imagine never seeing him or hugging him again. I can't imagine moving on from this. I love having a dog but I can't imagine ever being able to love another one without missing Brutus.

How do you get over something like this that also seems so unfair - he was taken from us before he was even 3 yrs old and we gave him the best of everything. The grief combined with the shock seems unbearable.

I am terribly sorry to hear about your loss. I'm not sure what to say other than I am very sorry this happened to you and yours. I will think of you tonight . I know the shock and devestation is a lot at this moment and that this sounds like the understatment of all time. My heart goes out to you at this time. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Love Christy

Christy - Thank you so much for taking the time to respond with your kind words. I read some of your posts about your baby Aleutia and I know you have endured and are still dealing with a lot of pain. My heart goes out to you as well.

My husband just called me in tears because he is at home and the doorbell rang, and he was waiting for Brutus to bark and run to the door as usual (he was so protective of us). Instead there was silence. It seems impossible to ever fill that empty void. Brutus was such a huge presence in our home. He never let us out of his sight. We are still struggling to understand how a beautiful healthy young dog could be cut down so suddenly and inexplicably.

Nevertheless I am a believer in the power of love and I know Brutus will always love us although now in a spiritual way rather than physical. I hope you can believe in and cherish that love from your Aleutia as well. It seems like you have a lot of love in your heart - maybe someday you can find another companion to receive and reciprocate that love. Sometimes dogs and humans can rescue each other.

Wishing you much peace,

KN

• 2 weeks later...

Brutey's Mom, I am so sorry for your pain. I know what you mean about missing your dog terribly, and trying to imagine having another. We just lost our dog Tuesday morning, Sept. 28. She was diagnosed only a week before with hemangiosarcoma (a cancer of the blood vessels of the spleen), which had already spread to her liver. She took a real bad turn Tuesday morning while we were getting ready for our day, and I knew it was time to put her down. We couldn't let her suffer. The pain of losing her has been almost unbearable. If this hurts so badly, I can't imagine experiencing the loss of my daughter or husband, parents, or siblings. It's good that you are using these message boards to express your grief. I feel a little bit better each time I express my feelings, through writing, and through talking with others who understand. My prayers are with you, and I'm sure we'll start adjusting to life without our precious pups, but it will take time.

I am terribly sorry for your loss. What a shock to have a healthy young dog die so suddenly.The loss is so great. I know how you feel. I am sorry this happened to your family. Allow yourself to grieve, continue loving him, and take care of yourselves.

Mamacat

Thank you mamacat and goldenlover for your encouraging posts. It has been a little over two weeks now and it is getting a little easier I guess. Some days are better than others. Now I seem to get blindsided by the emotions - one minute I will be perfectly fine and the next I'm a wreck. The little reminders are difficult - getting photos developed and seeing the last pictures of him, getting his dog license renewal paperwork in the mail, hearing other dogs barking in the neighborhood, throwing the meat scraps away instead of in his bowl, etc. I realize that we were so lucky to have had him even for such a short time and that somehow he is still with us and watching over us. We will probably get a new puppy in a few months, although this time a female, since I can't imagine ever replacing "my boy".

My heart is going out to you and your family. I am so sorry for the absolute pain you are in. I undestand and relate to your total shock and disbelief. My beloved cat "Street" was only 5 when one morning, he did not want to eat, rushed him to my Vet, and for 3 days, my Vet tried heroically to save him. I hope it helps you all in some way to know that I too am going through similar journey of shock, disbelief, denial and absolute pain. One thing that has kept me going, is knowing that both of my beloved cats, would want me to go on and thrive in life and not just survive. I wish courage for you all as you face this enormous loss.

With understanding, Sunshine and Street's Mom

hello to you all, here

from CAROLE, IN LIVERPOOL, UK

I know some of how you all feel, losing your beloved

BRUTEY -BOY, ALUETIA, ,SUNSHINE AND STREET , we are all going through such enormous devastating grief.... which has left us all heartbroken.......my two kitties have just died too, on the first two Monday's of Septemeber 2004 , MY LITTLE TEDDY, a sweet little old ginger /manx died on the morning of 6th Sept,

AND THEN SO UNEXPECTEDLY MY YOUNG ,BLACK, SLEEK, DARLING best PAL,** MINKY** girl , WAS RUN OVER ON THE MORNING OF 13TH SEPT 2004,, after depriving her of the love she lived for, for the 10 months, I tried to make Teddy's life special, as he had kidney failure, when I found him. a year before he died, and I never got to make it up, to my darling MINKY....it is pure hell..... so big hugs to us all xxxxx our lives will never be the same again, and it is so VERY PAINFUL..... TAKE CARE ALL OF YOU, trying to cope with this pain, forever. It is a total nightmare..... and a struggle every minute, and with every inch , a memory.... when our love for our darlings, is so very strong, the pain is the same. XXXXX