Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Cancer And Death: A Love Story In Two Voices

Dear Ones,

By way of recommending the book, Cancer and Death: A Love Story in Two Voices to you, I’m sharing with you below the exchange of e-mails I’ve had with the author these last few weeks:

July 17, 2008

Dear Marty:

My name is Nick Trujillo, and I am a professor of Communication at California State University, Sacramento. My wife Leah Vande Berg, also a professor of Communication here, died 3 1/2 years ago from ovarian cancer.

Before her death, we decided to write a book about the experience, telling the story of cancer, death, and grief from both of our perspectives and including the voices of other friends and family members who were involved. The book, titled Cancer and Death: A Love Story in Two Voices, has just been published by Hampton Press. I ask you to consider getting this book given your interest in the grief process. I have attached a pdf file with the Table of Contents and a sample chapter for your consideration.

The book has received several endorsements from doctors, nurses, and officials of cancer and grief organizations. Russell Friedman, Executive Director of the Grief Recovery Institute, said this about the book: "Sadly, death is sometimes the best teacher we ever get about living. This book connects death to life and prompts--no, compels--us to live every moment to the fullest." Actress Fran Drescher, Uterine Cancer Survivor and President and Visionary of the Cancer Schmancer Movement, said this: "I applaud Nick Trujillo for his courage to share the story of his love for his wife who sadly lost her battle with cancer. It is both touching and inspiring."

The book can be found on the Hampton website link below, or you may call 800-894-8955 to ask about it. The paperback version is listed at $23.95, and the ISBN number is 978-1-57273-851-5.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. I am sorry for this personal email, but I am committed to telling as many people about this book as I can because my wife and I believe our story can help those who are facing cancer and death or coping with grief. Please feel free to forward this email to anyone you think might be interested in the book.

Here is the link to the Hampton website:

http://www.hamptonpress.com/Merchant2/merc...&Category_Code=

Take care,

Nick Trujillo, Ph.D.

916-278-6335

nickt@csus.edu

July 21, 2008

Hi Nick,

Thank you so much for alerting me to your new book ~ and please accept my heartfelt sympathy for the death of your beloved wife Leah. I can think of no greater tribute to her than the wonderful book you both have written, which I'm sure will become a rich source of help to many grieving spouses . . .

I've taken the time this afternoon to read the excerpts you sent to me as a pdf file, and I love what you have presented thus far! Although I haven't read your entire book, I've seen enough to feel comfortable recommending it to those who visit my Grief Healing Web site; I've just now placed a link to it on my Death of a Spouse or Partner page.

I'd be more than happy to review Cancer and Death: A Love Story in Two Voices for possible placement on the Articles~Columns~Books page of my Grief Healing Web site, if you're willing to send me a copy of the entire book . . .

In any event, I wish you all the best in the sales and distribution of your book, and again I thank you for contacting me about it.

Most sincerely,

Marty Tousley, CNS-BC, FT

July 31, 2008

My dear Nick,

Thank you for sending me a review copy of your book. Now that I've read it, I feel as if I know you ~ and I surely do wish I could've known your beautiful Miss Leah as well. What a beautiful story of life and love and loss the two of you have given to the world, and how grateful I am that somehow your book found its way to me!

I devoured every word the two of you have written ~ and those of all your devoted friends and colleagues that you so wisely decided to weave into your story. I was especially moved by your friend Jan's description of her participation in one of your scattering rituals (on pages 143-144), and I shall never look at a starfish again without thinking of Jan and Leah and their connection to each other and to the collection of other people and to the entire universe ~ which I know includes you and me, too :wub:

I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to review your beautiful, heartfelt book, and I assure you that I will do everything in my power to let my own hospice clients, colleagues and visitors to my Grief Healing Web site and our online Grief Healing Discussion Groups site know about it.

Wishing you continued peace and healing,

Marty

August 25, 2008

Hi Marty--Thanks again for your interest in our new book, Cancer and Death: A Love Story in Two Voices, by Hampton Press (hamptonpress.com). This past weekend I went to the cove in Fort Bragg, California where I scattered Leah's ashes and made a couple videos, including a music video. When's the last time you saw a music video for a book? Thought you might enjoy them. The links are below.

Thanks again for your interest. Take care,

nick

Here's a

Here's the

Thanks Marty.

Nick's song is beautiful. I wish I'd written it for my Kathy. I guess it speaks for all of us in some way. I'll take your recommendation, since you've never steared me wrong, and buy their book. And several boxes of tissues!

Namaste,

- Joe