Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Finally Some Good News To Report...

MariahC

Hi all,

I hope you all don't mind me posting some good news? As some of you know - I lost my dad 6 months ago and it's been a real struggle every day just getting up. Well at work today, I've just found out that I was successful in my internal application for a job, which is a major promotion! I can't believe it!

The post was publicized earlier this year, but because I was really struggling with my grief following the sudden loss of my dad, I nearly didn't apply for it. It came around when I was at my lowest - struggling to sleep, eat and live. Crying at my desk silently everyday with no one in the office to confide in. Unable to wipe out the memories of that last week staying at the hospital. Worrying about who was going to look after my mother (who has mental health problems) and also worrying about losing our home. I asked myself many times when completing the job application, can you really handle the pressure right now of interviews and tests etc?

Things were really difficult from 6 weeks to around 5 months after he passed away. Now I believe that if you can cope with that - you can cope with anything. Things were so bad that I often wondered if it would always be like that. Would there be no light at the end of the tunnel?

How are things now? Still difficult some days, but not every day is a bad day anymore. I can now laugh and smile without feeling guilty. I can read and go out socially again.

The promotion feels bittersweet in some ways because my dad isn't here to share it with. I know he would have been so proud, as we were of him. There is still some way to go though. It sometimes feels like grief is bubbling under the surface and there all the time just waiting to hit us when we least expect it. However, I do definitely feel better than I did last month and the month before that...

To those of you who are wondering if you will ever be happy again. I urge you not to give up. Things will be tough and there will be what seems like insurmountable objects in your way, but you will make it through.

You have all helped me so much with your kind words and support, so I just want to say thank you to you all kind friends.

M.

• 3 months later...

And thank you, Mariah.

I haven't spoken to you before, but just reading your post has made me happy. I am happy for you, and it is good to know that it gets so that it doesn't hurt every day. COngratulations on your application!

:)