Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Hub To Have Surgery

again.. tomorrow.

His renal artery stent (a by product of his huge June 07 surgery where his aortic fork region was bypassed) is apparently collapsing. So they must re-inflate it or replace it tomorrow.

I've been out of sorts and blubbery and missing my folks badly the last few days.

I'll probably be ok tomorrow as that is usual for me. I'm fine in the midst.. but before and after I'm a mess.

Wish he could get through a year without any surgical procedures....

We are both just worn out of all of this. And my nerves might be frayed beyond repair.. so I might just leave them frayed... I don't know yet.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

leeann

(((((leeann)))))

Wow, hon, I'm so sorry to hear that your husband has to have another surgery. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you, especially with the type of sugergy he has to have.

I'm sure your mom and dad will be with you both tomorrow and helping to make sure that your husband's surgery goes as well as planned. I feel that since my parents aren't with me on earth, they are with me and still take care of me.

I know that going to the doctor's a lot can be tiring, but I can't imagine having to go through so many surgeries (or having had to watch a loved one go through so many.) Hope that 2009 will be a healthy year for the two of you.

Take care of you and let us know how it goes.

Shauna

Thanks so much Shauna, Marty and Wendy. I hope I feel you guys "with" me tomorrow.

Wendy so thoughtful for you to offer but I am hoping we are home by the time you get out of work. We will start early.. He's due at the hospital at 7am.

They will start the procedure at 7:30am.

If all goes well... he should be able to leave sometime mid-afternoon. We are in St. Clares for the day only.. I hope. This surgeon is really cautious though... so one never knows. (I mean cautiousness is an excellent quality in a Vascular Doc... but maddening at times as well, as I'm sure you can imagine. lol)

He'll probably not be able to climb stairs tomorrow afterwards.. so he'll sleep in the recliner and I'll be on the couch tomorrow night. Well I hope so anyway.

I'll let you all know as soon as I can.

Thanks again!

leeann

Thanks .. so much. You are sweet. Yeah Denville and Resnikoff is doing it.

He works out of Motown as well but St Clares had the better rating in Vascular surgery so that's why we chose there. He will be in the Cath Lab.. won't even hit same day surgery unit or anything.

Depending on how he does.. I may leave the hosp for a bit after he's settled in and has eaten something. He won't sleep with me standing there.. and I'd rather he, & so would he, sleep most of the waiting time with the sandbags. And there is a chair there by his bed.. but.. it's tight space wise and if I sit.. he can't see me and I can't see him. So typically I just stand up for the whole time.

Because he so "special" a case... he's usually parked right in front of the nurses. So they keep a close eye. But it depends on how he does on whether I leave for a walk or something or whether I go down the hall to a small waiting room I found last time. Because really.. he just won't sleep if I'm right next to him.

Thanks again.

leeann

We are home and he did well. So thanks all very much for your thoughts and prayers.

They used a 'balloon' to reinflate it and Doc thinks that will hold. If it doesn't he will go back in and put in a new stent. If THAT doesn't hold.. they will have to perform a bypass surgery of the renal artery. But I'm really hoping it doesn't get to that point!

He has to go back for an ultrasound to check in 6 weeks... 6mos... 1 year and then 18 months from today. So they will be watching him closely.

I slept maybe an hour last night.. so I'm beyond fried. But I had to just let you all know how he did and tell you how grateful I am for your understanding and support.

leeann

Thanks so much again Wendy, Marty and Mary. I think I'm finally winding down enough to try for sleep. Been a looooonnnnggggg day.

He's all set up in the recliner and he has "ordered" me upstairs to our room. He insists he will be fine down here. And he and I will both have our cell phones by us. So if he does need anything he said he will just call me.

I'm just wiped out... I thought I had more strength than this. I can't believe how utterly spent I feel inside. I mean I was keyed up with stress which is only normal I guess. But now that it is over... I feel like I have nothing left inside.

I'm praying nothing else happens for at least another couple days.. because I'm just empty I think.

leeann

(((((leeann)))))

No words, just a hug. Glad to hear you both made it through the surgery ok. It sounds scary about what could happen. Keep in mind though that the doctors have to tell you what could happen and it doesn't mean it will. It's great that they are going to keep such a close eye on him.

Ok, guess I had a few words. I'm sorry to hear that you are so exhausted, but I think it's totally normal. Even the last time he had his surgeries, it was so soon after you lost your mom and had so many other things going on; that you probably couldn't properly comprehend it all.

Take care of you.

Shauna

Aww Shauna thanks so much for the hugs and thoughts. And I guess you are right.. it's normal to be wiped out. I did about half of what I hoped to get done today.. but that's ok... I've noticed that dirt and dust don't mind waiting.... :)

After the kids went off to school this morning... I crashed out on the couch by hub for another hour. I was beat.

He was too so we had a 'at half-speed' kinda day. He's a bit sore.. but didn't even want any tylenol or anything.

So bit by bit we'll get there... like always.

Thanks so much again.

leeann