Grief Healing Discussion Groups

A Visit

mamacat

I am feeling very open these days thinking about Rulin. It is Holloween, in some traditions it is the most sacred night of the year, the new year, the time when the veils between the two worlds part and the dead can visit. A tradition is to have a mute supper, where you set the table and set out food for both the living and those who have crossed over that you love. They can then visit with you for this night. I will be setting out for my dear Rulin her bowl of food tonight. I’m feeling very close to her these days.

I send my love and best energy to all of you on this board who suffer so with the loss of your dear companions. A wise woman advised me that on this, the turning of the year, you can review the year, and leave what you don’t want behind, and take what you do want into the new year. I will try to leave the pain hers and mine, and my guilt. I will take with me into the new year the immense love that Rulin and I shared, The love I have for her now, the sweet memories of that very special being.

Love to all of you and may the pain of your loss diminish and the sweetness of your memories increase.

mamacat

mamacat,

Thank you for your post. This is our first Halloween without our precious golden retriever Bonnie, who died one month ago from hemangiosarcoma. It was hard because every year the kids loved to pet her when they came to the door. Sometimes we stayed out on the porch with her to hand out the candy. She loved little children, and they loved her. We are slowly adjusting to life without her. It helps to share stories on these bulletin boards. All the support from others means a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Mamacat,

Thank you for your post and your sentiments to all of us here. The love you shared with Rulin is so very special. Halloween was difficult for me as normally I would have been holding my Sunshine Cat, rocking her, singing to her as all the firecrackers caused my Sunshine to become frightened every year. I guess what I realized this year without either one of my babies is that by me comforting them, I too was comforted.

Your post has helped to remind me that even though they are no longer with me in the physical sense, they are here with me in the spiritual sense.

Thank you, Carol