Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Grief Bibliography

MartyT

One Mindful Day at a Time: 365 meditations for living in the now by Alan Wolfelt, Ph.D 

A perfect book to have for the New Year and one can’t go wrong with the writings of Alan Wolfelt, Ph.D.  How perfect to have a book that will guide us on a daily journey to live in the now.  Mine is on the way.

alan wolfelt,Ph.D.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was introduced to the book Heart Prayers by Peggy Haymes when I was introduced to her last year when reading her 2nd Edition book Strugglers, Straglers, and Seekers.  I feel like she is sharing precious moments with us.  I keep my copy on one of my end tables so I have easy access to it.  I recommend this book if it has not already been on a list and I didn't see it.

heart_prayers.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Two books that may be added to our bibliographies:

An excellent book on the power of awareness

Dr. Daniel J. Siegel, MD’s book Aware: The Science and Practice of Presence – The Ground Breaking Meditation Practice helps us to become more aware of who we are and how we can become better at dealing with what life hands us.  What we focus on can improve our immune systems and if ill we have the ability to heal our own selves.  After a significant loss, we can fall into a downward health spin and it is good to know that we don’t have to stay there.

Another book I would recommend is Jon Kabat Zinn’s book ~ Falling Awake: How to Practice Mindfulness in Everyday Life. The ideas in this book are just another ‘tool for healing’ as we make time to pause, breath, and allow ourselves to let whatever comes into our consciousness be okay.  Mindfulness meditation has helped me as I walk this path of deep loss after my spouse died

Edited by enna
changed a word!

Comfort for the Grieving Hearts: Hope and Encouragement in Times of Loss – Gary Roe

His words resonate and he has a way of helping us realize that we are not alone in our grief.  His writings make me think of what it is like when sitting down with a friend and sharing grief stories.

Becoming Radiant: A New Way to Do Life Following the Death of a Beloved  - Tom Zuba

Tom Zuba’s writings are about love and hope and healing.  This latest book is again focused on a new way of grieving as only he can say it.

A Place in my heart, When a Pet Dies – Barbara Karnes, RN

This is another booklet by BK explaining what happens when the life of a precious pet approaches death.  I love her booklets.  I have added her booklets to our community libraries as well as giving them out to caregivers who work with families caring for loved ones facing death.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have three recommendations to perhaps add to our grief bibliography page:

Help, Thanks, Wow by Anne Lamott ~ she is so down to earth and this book is one to pick up and read more than once.

Living Beautifully by Pema Chödrön is a wonderful book ~ she writes from the heart. 

And last ~ Gary Roe just wrote another book called: Comfort for the Grieving Adult Child's Heart - Hope and Healing After Losing Your Parent  This book is available now and a few of us received copies earlier and read and wrote recommendations on Good Reads and Amazon. This is one book that will help the grieving heart of those who have lost a parent. 

In my opinion, reading and listening to music helps us to move through our grief. 

• Like 1

I remember Dusky!  It's good to hear his name again, hope he's doing okay.

• Like 1