Grief Healing Discussion Groups

The Loss Of A Parent Before They Die

My mother died on October 25, 2004, that was the second time the first time was when I realized how changed her dementia made her. The mother I keep remembering was the one who would yell at me "I don't have Alzheimers". I would respond no, i don't think you have Alzheimers but something is wrong. For over 2 years I tried to get her doctor to examiner her and for 2 years "your fine, tell your children to stay out of your life". My mother was a gifted talented artist who could complete anything she set her mind to. I was never good enough for her yet I kept trying. I reconciled myself to love her and after my dad died 22 years ago, I tried to do what I knew he would want me to do. I know that she loved me but that last year was so hard. She couldn't cook, operate a TV, she continued to deny anything was wrong. She would tell me "you have to quit telling people that I am crazy". I would respond "I have never called you crazy". Now that she is gone I feel like I have been mourning for the same thing twice and practice does not make perfect.

My dear friend,

I’m so very sorry for your loss, and for all the pain you’ve endured for such a very long time.

Your poignant message brings to mind the stunning phrase Nancy Reagan used to describe what it is to care for a loved one who is afflicted with this terrible, debilitating, progressive disease: it is indeed “a long good-bye.”

I don’t know what you’ve learned or read about Alzheimer’s – given what you’ve experienced these many years, I’m sure you could write a book of your own on the subject. But I want to let our readers know about the vast array of resources that are “out there” and readily available. Here are links to just a few of them:

Alzheimer's Association

Alzheimer's: Grief Misunderstood (Article by Marianne Dickerman Caldwell)

Caregiver Community

Caregiving.com: Helping You Help Aging Relatives

Coping with Caregiving: Radio Program

Empowering Caregivers - Choices, Healing, Love

Elder Care Online

Elder Care: Alzheimer's, Dementia

Elder Rage, or Take My Father . . . Please!: How to Survive Caring for Aging Parents (Book)

Family Caregiver Alliance: National Center on Caregiving

The Forgetting: A Portrait of Alzheimer's

Forgiveness in Grief and Bereavement (Articles)

Handbook for Mortals: Guidance for People Facing Serious Illness (Book by J. Lynn)

Healing Well: Guide to Chronic Illness

It's Not Too Late! An Interactive Guide for Exploring and Expressing Love As Life Nears An End (Book by L. Pendleton and F. Bader)

Last Chapters: Stories about Living with Dying

National Family Caregiver Support Program

National Family Caregivers Association

I also want to suggest a book you might find helpful entitled Liberating Losses: When Death Brings Relief, by J. Elison & C. McGonigle

You have been through so much these last two years, and my prayer for you is that you will give yourself the gift of healing by finding a bereavement support group in your community. You are worth it, my friend, and you certainly do deserve it.

Wishing you peace and healing,

Marty T