Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Was It A Sign From Dad?

So I wanted to post this aswell, had forgotten about it until last night. my Mom and I were visiting Dad's brother on Saturday morning. It's a 2 hr drive so I decided to take Dad's iPOD in the car, it's music my Mom likes and me too for the most part. It's the first time I'd even looked at it since Christmas (it was only the day before he went to hospital that I put all his Christmas music back onto it).

ANYWAYS......so I change the radio to the iPOD, on comes the first song and I got a bit of a fright when I heard the lyrics. It's a song by an Irish folk singer called Phil Coulter and the song is called "The Old Man"and was written in memory of his Dad. "The old man" is a term some Irish guys (not sure about anywhere else) use for their Dads regardless of age.

I kinda jerked in the car and just said to Mom "that's a really weird song to come on" and the tears came.

Somewhere deep down some part of me thinks yeah my Dad made this be the first song to play but it's never enough. Songs are not enough, signs are not enough you know ? ....it's him I want, a visit, a hug (I've heard of people feeling hugs), his warmth, just some comfort straight from my Dad himself.

So have a listen if you like ....It's a beautiful song, it is written from son to father but none the less the words are very special

(Phil Coulter)

The tears have all been shed now

We've said our last good-byes

His soul's been blessed

He's laid to rest

And it's now I feel alone

He was more than just my father

my teacher, my best friend

He can still be heard

In the tunes we shared

When I play them on my own

I never will forget him

For he made me what I am

Though he may be gone

Memories linger on

And I miss him, the old man

As a boy, he'd take me walking

By mountain field and stream

And he showed me things

Not known to kings

But secret between him and me

Like the colors on a pheasant

As he rises in the dawn

And how to fish and make a wish

Beside a fairy tree

And I never will forget him

For he made me what I am

Though he may be gone

Memories linger on

I thought he'd live forever

He seemed so big and strong

But the minutes fly

And the years roll by

For a father and a son

And suddenly, when it happened

There was so much left unsaid

No second chance

To tell him thanks

For everything you've done

I never will forget him

For he made me what I am

Though he may be gone

Memories linger on

thanks Daddy, glad I can share this, I miss you

I hope you all like it,

hugs

niamh

Wow,Niamh-what a song to just come across.It says so much about missin our dads.The words could be exactly what we feel for our dads.It could be a sign.Its a weird coincidence if not.I would have felt like it meant something if I would have heard it.Lets hope it was a sign.I remember driving a week after dad passed,crying of course,and I said out loud,"Just send me a song dad...one to make me feel better."and right after that this song started that I never paid attention to,but it was los lonely boys,'how far is heaven'Not a hugely popular song at all,but I listened to the words,and I will go to my grave believing that song played right then for a reason.Its about someone asking god,how long do I have to wait to go to the better place,because this life has gotten so hard.Anyway,it matched my dad perfectly,even the very beginning they say something in spanish,and my dad used to say those exact words to me.He could have been saying every word in that song to me.It actually did make me feel better.

Hi Niamh,

As I wipe the tears that flow from my eyes, the words to that song are perfect. I wish I could bring your daddy back, my mom and everyone else's too. I do think it was a sign that your dad knows all you are going through but, he is peaceful now. I think it's all how you look at it and I choose to see it that way.

Hugs to you today and always.

2sweetgirls

P.S. The "Old man" expression is used in the states too.

Dear Niamh,

I just wanted to say that “The Old Man” song that played on your iPod is definitely your Daddy saying “hi”. There are no coincidences. The words of the song are so beautiful and have such meaning. It was meant for you to hear. I think that is wonderful! Your Dad is communicating to you. I know you say it is never enough, that you want more or bigger ADCs. I feel the same way. I too would love to have my Dad back here in the physical form and be healed. I am having a hard time accepting it. I have been having a bad time and crying a lot because I miss him so much. Father’s Day was really hard too. I bought him beautiful flowers and a nice card. I’m sure he enjoyed them. The dinner table was set nicely and a plate was set for him as well. I honestly feel cheated because my Dad is no longer here where I can see him with my own eyes.

I have never felt a hug. Some people are more sensitive to this and are able to feel hugs. It doesn’t mean that your Dad hasn’t given you a warm, comforting hug. I’m sure he has on more than one occasion. I keep asking my Dad for signs or to visit me in my dreams. Keep asking your Dad for signs or to visit you in your dreams before you go to bed. Also, say to yourself three times, “I will remember my dreams.” Be patient. When I am really feeling terrible, I read my aftterlife books to bring me some comfort. I know my Dad lives. I just read a beautiful post on the after death website where someone lost their Dad on 5/13/10. She had a dream visit where she said to her Dad that she wished he was here with them and that she missed him so much. Her Dad smiled and said, “ I am always right here and don’t worry I’m fine.” How wonderful.

My life has changed and I want to continue to have a relationship with my Dad. Sure, it will never be the same like when he was here but reality is, it is better than nothing. I am holding on to that special relationship I have with my Dad. I am working on ways to communicate with him and for him to communicate with me. It is possible to communicate with our Dads/loved ones in the afterlife. They say the veil is getting thinner between the two dimensions. I know you can communicate also through meditation. I am soon going to start practicing meditation. We shall see.

Sending you hugs, love, comfort and strength on this difficult journey we are traveling.

Butterfly9

Niamh,

Your post caught my eye and I had to read it. I totally believe in signs and I do believe that this is one from your dad. What a beautiful song. I lost my husband a year ago today and I also have a song that I know is from him. I am going to ask my son to listen to your song. It is absolutely beautiful.

Thank you for sharing, Kat

I really don't believe in "coincidences". I think this was a sign from your Dad. No doubt about it. What are the chances of that being the first song coming on?

I believe there are a lot of things that happen in this world that we cannot understand. I also think that our loved ones are pulling for us while they are in Heaven watching over us. They pray for us and ask God to help us as they certainly know what we are going through and what we need. They are with us.

Kat2005, I'm glad you like the song. I am so sorry for the loss of your husband, I can't imagine yet how hard the 1 year mark is, it's such a short time in grief but also such a long lifetime without our loved ones. I hope your son likes this song .....maybe in some way your husband is sending it to him thru me. I like to think they are all up in Heaven together and they have pulled us together on this beautiful site to help keep us going.

Loulou, yeah I find the few times it's happened, they have been songs I've known but ,like you, never paid attention to, now they are the most special songs ever. Maybe our Daddys are actually singing along right with them when we hear them :)

thanks 2sweetgirls, if only we could bring them back eh. yep again deep down I think they have to know what we are all going through.

thanks Butterfly9, I've never been one to believe in coincidences so trying so hard to keep that "faith" these days that these are not coincidences. I am so sorry you are having such a hard time too. I too got a card for Dad, laminated it and put it up with him. Yep like you I want to continue our relationship as hard as it is now but he IS still my Dad, I just don't fully understand what he does now. Yep I will never stop asking him to visit me. I have heard too that meditation makes it easier, meditation was something my Dad would explain to my cousin and I a few times in the last year but I've never tried it ....keep us posted when you start :). I will keep reading and researching this, maybe I need to do some work myself to "reconnect the phone line".

yep Aquarius7, thats exactly what I thought, there are hundreds of songs that could have come on. I agree, I think we barely understand the very basics of everything. now my Dad and all our loved ones know it all while we are left wondering.

thank you all for your time and kind words as always, keep all your coincidences coming too, I love hearing about them,

hugs and love to you all,

niamh

Niamh, that is SUCH a beautiful song! Would you consider adding it to our Grief Songs Web page?

thanks Marty, my Dad has great taste :).

Sure, I think I've added it there just now, I don't see it after I sbumit though but I don't get an error either. Should it appear straight after I click submit ?

niamh,

I'd like to think the song was a beautiful moment of rapport with your dad. Sometimes when I wanted to be cheeky, I referred to my dad as "my Old Man". Being old-world Japanese, he always thought I was a smart-@$$. :D

Let me tell you what my dad does. When I'm not shooting portraiture photography for other people. I like to go birding. And in the past 6 months after his death, I've seen more bald eagles than I ever have in all the years that I spent with him. I like to think that he keeps sending me those birds as a sign that he's saying "Hey, I'm still around. I'll always be watching over you."

4697392804_b6931e78ef.jpg

And I think that's what your dad's doing with the song...playing at just that moment.

Niamh,

I forgot to say in my previous post that my son always called his dad "old man".

Take care, Kat

wow Kat, like Butterfly says "there are no coincidences". I hope you both made it through such a tough day ok.

niamh

that's pretty cool Animal with your Dad.

I guess they all do things in their own little ways, we need to somehow open our minds. I hope my mind is beginning to open up, I just want to open the doors so wide to allow so much more than a song in.

Will just keep on trying. Hope today is ok day for you,

((hugs))

niamh

• 1 month later...

I agree, there are no coincidences. And thank you for sharing that song and story.

My Mom was laid to rest next to my father 39 years TO THE DAY after she moved from her hometown. The minister said then that there are no coincidences; that was God's plan.

Later that same day there were rain showers in the area. Afteward, we saw a beautiful double rainbow in the eastern sky. I believe that was my Mom smiling down on us and thanking us for bringing her "home".

Dear Kansas,

So sorry for the loss of your precious Father and Mother. Sending you hugs (((( )))). You are right, there are no coincidences. Wow 39 years to the day.

Since you saw a beautiful double rainbow I believe that was your Mom and your Father smiling down on you all. She is now with your Father. They are together again, healed and happy. They are watching over you until you will all be together again.

Sending hugs, love, comfort and strength.

Butterfly9

I had mentioned in a previous post that I have a song that I believe is a sign from my husband. I was at work the other day having a silent conversation with him....which I do quite often. I hadn't heard my song in a long time and I was feeling so alone. I was telling him that I am really trying to accept this life that has been handed to me. I was trying to explain to him that even though it had been alittle over a year I still needed to now that he was still with me. I no sooner said that and the song came on the radio. I couldn't believe it. It proved to me that he is still with me and watching over me.

I just wanted to share this.

Take care, Kat