Grief Healing Discussion Groups

The Pure Mind Of Children

My husband has been gone for 18 months. He passed away when our Granddaughter was 8 months old. She was the light of his life and continues to be the light of my life. She is now just past two years old. We talk about him to her all the time and of course we have pictures. I made a book about the 8 months they had together and I put a picture of the two of them in her bedroom at her house. I have the same picture of them in my bedroom. However, it would be the assumption she has no memory of his being with her. Yesterday she said to me out of the blue "I want to play with Grandpa" I said "Where is Grandpa"...she said "he is in your bedroom". I said "Show Grandma"....so we walked into my bedroom...she picked up his picture and hugged it to her heart and then kissed him and left. It was so bittersweet and made me think that in her dreams or in her mind or in her presence she has played with him after his passing. My mind, like many adults has been so closed to the possibilities of feeling the presence ofmy husband but children do not know such judgements or notions.........What an awakening.

hi Sharon,

that is so sweet. It reminds me of something my cousins 2 children have done actually and somewhere inside me I think I believe children can see a little more than us adults.

My cousin's husband was driving to us the day after we lost my Dad last December. His daughter who was 5 at the time began shouting at some point in the journey that she could see my Dad, her own Dad asked her where and she was all excited pointing at the sky saying she could see him in the clouds, in the car with her Granny (who passed 3.5 years before that so she was pretty young yet still remembered her Granny too), she said my Dad was trying to help her Granny find chips (french fries) ....her being so young and them being in a car, looking for chips .......that's just exactly the kind of thing they would do, how does a child so young know things like this.

Also, when my Aunt had passed, on the same journey down, her brother who was 5 at the time said the same thing, he could see his Granny in the

clouds.

I like to think there is so much more to this, children and their innocence allow them to see what we cannot so like my cousins I too think that your granddaughter too has seen your husband and maybe played with him too, many times, it's just not something most of us adults can grasp, maybe we try to hard to understand what it's all about, what the afterlife is, if it's really there and so on, children don't question things like us so it's probably a lot easier for our loved ones to come to children and sometimes I think they don't come running to us telling every little thing about it because its just normal to them and every so often they drop these little bombshells for us adults.

at least I hope that's the way it is !

Niamh

My parents had a long life. They died a year apart after 50 years and 6 kids that loved them. They worked a family business with 4 of the kids. When mom died last her youngest granddaughter was 2 1/2. Debbie child #5 was most like mom. Did not cry alot ever. She's driving with Nicole in the back seat. Her tears aren't showing. Nicole answers her toy cell phone. Hello? Debbie said who you talking to. She said Grandma. She said Yes, I'll tell her, OK. OK I love you too. Debbie said, What did she say? She said, She said ,don't be sad, she loves you and she's OK. Now this child swears that she sees grandma. I had a visitation from mom in a dream. I cried saying how good it was to see her. She said she'd come more often but she was keeping an eye on Nicole. I woke up after having one of these always. The energy wakes you up. I had a wet face from tears. I called Debbie a few hours later and told her. Children are open to visits. LindaKay

I so believe that LindaKay. Erin, my 3 yr old grand daughter spends a lot of time in my room playing games on my comp. One of these times, we were going downstairs and she says to me something about just being with Tommy. Of course. while she was leveling up, I was talking to Tommy in my head, like I always do. It makes me smile knowing Tommy is watching over me.

Laurie

Aren't children wonderful!!! My 8 year old grand daughter came to visit me after Tim died and I asked her what she wanted to do. She wanted to go fishing where grandpa used to fish and blow bubbles to him at his favorite place in the mountains. She would tell me that grandpa was with us and watching over us during our trip. I will never forget that trip. It was just beautiful!!

Chris

Kailyn is still too young to be explicit in her stories (now 20 months old), and was only 4.5 months old when Scott died. However, I too believe they are open to possibilities. When she was really small, she would look up at the wall or ceiling where there really was nothing, and watch quiet intently. Of course, I have pictures that I have shown her of Daddy. Several times she has brought me pictures of Scott and told me it is Daddy. So sweet, and it brings tears to my eyes. I have also asked her if Daddy comes and talks to her, and she has nodded yes.

One of the most special moments came recently when my mother, Kailyn and I were walking, and Mom told me about a dream she had of Scott. It was striking to her because she rarely remembers her dreams, and this one was very vivid. It happened this spring. Scott was down a hallway, pointing into a room, and laughing that wonderful laugh of his. He was saying, "Come here! You've got to see this!" Of course, this brought me to tears, but they were good tears. I was carrying Kailyn at the time, and as I was crying and talking to Mom, she hugged me, gave me a big sloppy kiss, and said, "Daddy!" I really don't think we spoke of him as Daddy, but as Scott. This made me cry even more.

I am positive he checks in on her. I have asked him many times to do so (hmm, maybe demanded it..... wub.gif)

Korina