Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Any Caregivers Out There?

Hello. I am totally new at this whole sharing your feelings things so forgive me if at times I sound cold. My mother and I were caregivers for my grandmother who had dementia for 7 years. It was a 24/7 job and we did everything for her. I have lost a lot of people in my life and NONE have affected me as strongly as my grandmother's death. I poured my heart and soul into her...I gave up just about everything just so I could take care of her. Now that she is dead I feel like my life is meaningless and I'm not doing anything worthwhile! I started caregiving for her when I was 14 so friends and going out weren't a part of my life. Now I am 21 and I am dating and trying to go out but I feel guilty when I go out and I don't know why. She passed away on March 16th at 12:39 am and I got home around 4 and laid in bed until 6 then went to work for 8 hours. Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone had a smiliar experience...thanks.

Hey again,

I am not sure if you got my other post but thats ok. My name is Katie and I too have lost a lot of loved ones. We took care of my grandma for a year and half while she dealt with lung cancer. It was really hard to watch her decline. I know how you feel and I understand you completely. You can find out more about the loved ones that I lost if you go read my post under teens talking to teens. The greatest loss for me was probably my grandpa because I was really close with him. I shared my birthday with him and now I feel guilty on my birthday because I try to be happy because its a happy day and yet I feel so sad because I know he should be happy with me. I too am like you in another way. I am 20 and I have never been out with a guy. When my dad left my brother took care of me but we grew up being dependent on each other. We had to grow up fast and often times I go back to wanting to be a child again. But I have grown up a lot these past few years. If you ever want to talk just let me know.

HI Katie!

Thanks for the reply, it was good to hear form you! So many people tell me that I have lost so much because I had to grow up so fast...a part of me doesn't feel like I missed out on anything! Has horrible as it was I enjoyed taking care of my grandmother...I just gave her back the love she had always given me!

So how do you get through your birthday? I don't share a birthday with my grandma but I share her middle name...it kills me when my friends or mom say my middle name...I just don't want to hear it! MY birthday is Thursday and it'll be my first bday without my granny...although she was mentally gone for years and didn't even know it was my birthday I am still really going to miss her being there!

Thanks for the reply Katie, nice to meet you!

Mel

• 1 month later...

HELLO MY NAME IS SHELLEY,

I AM PRESENTLY A CAREGIVER OF MY FATHER WHO HAS HODGKIN'S DISEASE AND IS SLOWLY DECLINING BECAUSE FOOD MAKES HIM SICK RIGHT NOW. I WAS ALSO RESPONSIBLE PARTLY WITH MY MOM WHO HAS NOW DIED OF A DIABETIC COMA.

• 2 weeks later...