Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Also Feeling Alone

Hi to everyone,

I lost my mom a month ago and I also feel very alone, as others of you have expressed. I am married and my husband has been as supportive as possible, but I still feel alone. Grief is a very private emotion and no two people experience it the same way. My father is still alive, but in very poor health and has dementia besides. I am finding the grieving process complicated by the condition of my dad. He does not remember than my mom has died and when we tell him, he does not believe it. Perhaps, as people have suggested to me, it is a blessing for him, but for me it is more difficult. I am also trying to do what is best for my dad, but I don't even know what that is. I know that I will feel better in time, but now it is still so painful. I cry almost every day. Some days feel worse than others which I know is to be expected. Anyway I just wanted to reach out to others and try to feel connected in some way.

Thanks,

avsqr_dancer

I AM SORRY VERY SORRY ABOUT YOUR LOSS OF YOUR MOM. I ALSO LOST MY MOM A MONTH AGO. MY HUSBAND IS ALSO VERY SUPPORTIVE but doesnt understand everything that i am going through. I cry alot still and also feel so alone. I feel so sad alot. Sleeping for me is hard if I wake up in the middle of the night I start thinking about her last days which is what I think about alot. Her death was expected but came within a few days. I am the only child and dont have any siblings to turn to. i wish you the best of luck.

Hi,

I want to express my sympathy for the loss of your mom. It must be especially tougha being an only child and not having any siblings to share your grief with. I do have a brother and although we have never been particularly close, this tragedy has actually brought us closer, something that would make my mom happy. As a said before, everyone's grief is different, but it does help to have a brother who also lost his mom. It helps to have a supportive husband, but they can not understand everything. I am sorry you are having trouble sleeping. I have had dreams where my mom is still alive, but I also know that she is dead or will be dying soon. It is a weird dream and also upsetting. I wish you the best and hope you will start to feel less alone as time goes on.

dancer

• 2 weeks later...

HI ALL, I AM FEELING EMPTY AND FEEL VERY ALONE NOW. MY MOM DIED THREE MONTHS AGO AND MY DAD AND I ARE NOT VERY CLOSE. I HAVE LIVED AT HOME WITH MOM FOR FORTY YEARS. SHE WAS EVERYTHING TO ME.

I'm sorry about your mom and about your dad's current condition. My father had Alzheimer's disease and we were advised to not tell him because it would make him sad but he wouldnt remember why he was sad. So we never told him that my mom was gone. I don't know what kind of Dementia he has so I dont know what to suggest really. All I can say is spend what time you can with him so that when he's gone you wont regret not having those memories of him. I regret that I didnt get to spend alot of time with my dad before he passed away. He may not of known me to see me but the only memory i have of him hugging me was when he didnt know me and I will cherish that memory forever. I'm still trying to deal with losing my mom and it's been over eight months since I lost her. It's hard you just have to keep going from day to day. I try to focus on what she wanted for me, because then i know i'm making her proud and honoring her memory. I hope this helped a little. If you ever want to talk i'm here.