Grief Healing Discussion Groups

The Empty Chair

Good interview on trauma. I especially liked his ideas for transitioning and transforming...Thanks, Marty.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Mary ~ and I like the way he speaks of "post traumatic growth" (as well as stress); loss as "a portal to deeper wisdom;" and the value of using ritual and ceremony, community support and spiritual practice in healing traumatic loss.

Yes, Marty, all of it...PTSD growth, ritual, support, meditation, reading and more. Doing quite a bit of that now without having named it PTSD growth. I am reading Bridges book on transition and decided I really liked it when I had 9 markers on 9 pages and most of each page was highlighted. :)

With all the changes in my/our lives over the years, (I have lived under 19 roofs, 8 with Bill) I/we have done very little with deliberate, conscious transition exercises and rituals. We did some rituals when we left places and moved into new ones. We both did a lot of journaling and poetry and sharing and more but not enough of what Bridges calls neutral zone behaviors in mind....time out between the change and the new....to be in limbo...comfortably.

This time...I am doing it, taking the time consciously no matter how long it takes. I see signs of growth and depth and increased true to self stuff already along with the ongoing tears and sadness. I loss touch with a lot of helpful behaviors as a caregiver for Bill. Just watching him die slowly was so traumatic and there was so much to do for him.

Thanks for all your links and support....Mary