Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I Lost Both Of My Parents This Year

I lost both of my parents this year. My mom passed away in October from brain tumors. She and I were extremely close I took care of her until Children and Youth Services found out. I was in a group home when she passed away and they actually had the nerve to tell me that if i didnt feel safe grieving there then i should just wait. Well I did It hit me when my dad passed away in June after 8 years of Alzheimer's disease he let go. When i said goodbye to him at the funeral It felt like i was saying goodbye to my child instead of my father. I took care of him I fed him, bathed him, got him dressed, got him to the bathroom. I was a caregiver for both of my parents. I just turned 18 in March and moved out on my own after being released from children and youth services care. And I've just felt lost ever since. I dont know where to go from here. If anyone ever wants to talk email me sometime because I need to talk to someone who understands what i'm talking about. my addy is oldnavy_133@hotmail.com

• 4 weeks later...

HI I TO HAVE LOST BOTH OF MY PARENTS THIS YEAR. MY MOM IN APRIL18, 2005 AND MY DAD AUGUST 25, 2005. SO I AM MISSING THEM BOTH VERY MUCH AND FIND IT HARD TO CARRY ON. BESIDES THAT I LIVED WITH BOTH OF THEM AND NOW THAT THEY ARE DEAD I HAVE TO VACATE THE HOUSE IN THREE WEEKS. I HAVE LIVED THERE FOR TWENTY SIX YEARS. PLEASE HELP ME COME UP WITH SOME HELP WITH ALL THAT I AM FEELING.

I lost both my parents within 35 hours! It will be two years next week that my world was shaken to the core. My mom was diagnosed with liver cancer in 2002. I was devastated. I am an only child and my parents meant the world to me. About a year after the diagnosis, mom began going downhill rapidly. My dad was beside himself. They had been married 51 years and that was all he knew. He told me on two different occasions, he had been praying God would take him first. That is the way he felt it needed to be because he was 7 years older than mom. I assured him and reassured him I would help him through the pain as best as I could, but that it was obvious God intended to take mom home first. Little did I know, how wrong I was. On the 4th of April 2003, the Lord called my dad home by means of an aortic aneursym. Within three hours of arriving at the hospital, he was gone. Mom was at home, unconscience. She never knew.

I made the necessary arrangements, just going through the motions, in complete shock. Spent the night at the house with mom while sending my husband and two children back to collect our things for the next day. During the next day (April 5) which happened to be her 72nd birthday, mom had gotten noticeably worse. While changing to go to the visitation for my dad, mom passed away. Within 35 hours, I had lost BOTH parents. The pain is unexplainable! However, God heard and knew the pain they were both in. Mom, from her cancer and having to leave her family and Dad from losing his wife of 51 years. In God's indescribable, endless grace, He called Dad home before he could experience the numbing loss of his wife and allowed Mom to sleep right through it. Neither one of them had to experience the loss they both dreaded so.

They are now in Heaven, and wouldn't come back for any reason. I am thankful to God He spared them. I am thankful for the comfort He gives me daily. Even though it still pierces my heart, I know they are happy, and that makes me happy, even through my frequent tears. God is a God of matchless compassion!

I will keep you in my prayers, I know how difficult it is, but if you will allow the Lord to see you through it, He can comfort you like no other. Bless you.

Only Child