Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Books That Provide Comfort

I just got through reading a book written by a mother in KS. She tragically lost her only child, a daughter, age 17, after a botched toncilictomy. She grieved and did not want to live, as we all have. Her friend who lived out of state began receiving messages from the deceased daughter. A compelling story of love between our world and the afterlife, and their challenges of spirit communication. It is an uplifting story and makes me actually believe that our loved ones do speak or send signs to us and maybe through others. It is easy reading and a comforting theme for us who have lost loved ones.

Love Never Ends by Connie Martin and Barry Dundas

For you Jayhawkers, Connie Martin and her husband Mark are the owners of the Brookville Hotel (which is really a restaurant with the best fried chicken, coleslaw and creamed corn with home made biscuits that you can get.) Great food and a tourist must stop.

I would be interested in any other readings that anyone has completed that may comfort and ease the pain.

Becky

I just got through reading a book written by a mother in KS. She tragically lost her only child, a daughter, age 17, after a botched toncilictomy. She grieved and did not want to live, as we all have. Her friend who lived out of state began receiving messages from the deceased daughter. A compelling story of love between our world and the afterlife, and their challenges of spirit communication. It is an uplifting story and makes me actually believe that our loved ones do speak or send signs to us and maybe through others. It is easy reading and a comforting theme for us who have lost loved ones.

Love Never Ends by Connie Martin and Barry Dundas

For you Jayhawkers, Connie Martin and her husband Mark are the owners of the Brookville Hotel (which is really a restaurant with the best fried chicken, coleslaw and creamed corn with home made biscuits that you can get.) Great food and a tourist must stop.

I would be interested in any other readings that anyone has completed that may comfort and ease the pain.

Becky

Very interesting! I'm from Salina, Kansas and knew the Martins. Our family has eaten many, many meals at the Brookville Hotel (before they moved from Brookville to Abilene! :)

I so remember the death of their lovely daughter and how devastating it was for them. I understand that writing the book has been very therapeutic for Connie. I guess that's why writing on the site is sometimes so helpful for some of us.

A book that was very helpful for me was "Here if You Need Me" by Kate Braestrup. It is the true story of her journey through grief. Her husband, a State Trooper, was killed in a vehicle accident, leaving her with young children to raise. She decided to follow his dream of becoming a Minister, went to Seminary and became a Chaplin for the Maine Wildlife Service. Her description of her experience was dramatic, moving, funny, painful and deeply moving. Her ability to keep going every day and eventually find God and her faith again through helping others was very inspiring to me and gave me hope that life would get better.

Anne