Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Learning Something New In Honor Of

My husband LOVED golf. My entire family also plays golf. I am the only one that does not. A couple of years ago, my husband bought me a set of golf clubs with a pink golf bag. He heard me make a comment that I would like to play when I retired. He bought that for me because he wanted us to play together. I never used them or learned to golf. I then retired. 10 days after I retired from the court system my husband was diagnosed with cancer and so the journey began and 18 months later, it ended sadly. I went out to the shed for something yesterday only to find the club golf set that he bought me,that I never used or we never got to play together. I made a vow to myself that I will learn to play golf and play with these clubs that he bought for me. I know he would be proud of me and I would feel like I am playing with him, because I KNOW he is playing some serious golf up there in Heaven. It is something to hold on too.

Tired and lonely

Becky

Good for you Becky! My learning something new was learning how to drive Jeff's Jeep. I had never driven a standard before and Jeff had only taken me out to teach me how to drive it once. I made it my goal to learn. Now I've taken the top off the Jeep and enjoy driving around in it.......it makes me feel close to Jeff as we enjoyed so many aimless drives in it while he was alive.

Becky, learning to play golf is a great idea. My husband and I played together for years. It is a great sport. Of course I wasn't much competition for him but he was patient with me. He taught our son & we have wonderful family memories with golf. Our son said that when he plays he always thinks of his dad. I haven't played this year but know that I will again. When I do play, I will keep in mind that I am playing with him since I am sure he is also playing up in heaven. Maybe they are in a big golf scramble up there today.

Good luck with playing and hope you have fun!

Pat

Good for you Becky. What a wonderful tribute to your husband and a great way to spend time and get some exercise. I am learning how to do watercolor as my new venture. It is all distracting but also rewarding. mary

Becky,

It is always good to do something new. I think it is great and I am sure he will be with you and guiding you along the way. Just don't get sun stroke out there. :)

Dwayne

Good for you Becky. You won't regret it. It makes you feel so good to accomplish something you never thought you'd be able to do. Maybe we should all start posting things we've accomplished along the way, it could really encourage others. How bout it everyone!

Chris