Grief Healing Discussion Groups

By now everyone must have read about the recent events here in Norway, where I live. In fact I don't live that far away.

First a bomb was set off in our capitol, Oslo, killing 7 people and injuring about a hundred others. Then, the same man (though I'm sure he had accomplices) went out to an island called Utøya, just outside Oslo, where the labor party youth group had a summer camp. He opened fire and killed 85 people. Some kids were as young as 14. The total death toll for the combined events is currently 92, but there are still people missing from Utøya who are probably in the water, drowned or shot. And many people are in hospital in critical condition, so who knows how many more will be declared dead in the days to come.

This is just so weird and so sad for the families of the victims. I have not lost a child, but I can certainly empathize with the shock and grief so many people must be feeling right now. I still feel that grief - nearly a year after losing my husband.

Melina

I caught it on the news last night but didn't hear the whole story, I'm glad you're okay. I don't understand it, do they know who is responsible and why they did it? It's a horrible thing! My heart goes out to all the people there.

Hi Melina

You were the first person I thought of when I heard that news. I am glad you are safe. What a horrible waste and so much loss for people and your country. Mary

Melina,

I did not realize you lived in Norway. This is a terrible thing that happened to your great country. Glad to her you are safe. I saw it on the news and I just cannot understand how people can have so much hate in them. I hope this is the last time something like this never happens again. My heart goes out to those people who lost their life, and most of all the children. You are in my prayers. Take care.

God Bless you and all the people in Norway, bring them peace into their lives.

Dwayne

Thanks everyone. As much grief as I still feel, I also feel grief for these children who lost their lives. Of course - children and adults alike are losing their lives every day in war-torn or third-word countries due to violence, poverty and disease. It makes me realize that I'm not the only one grieving in the world. Every minute, every second, produces a new grief-stricken person somewhere in the world.

Melina

Melina, I also live in Norway, in Bergen. The memorial that everyone made with candles, flowers and memorabilia in the middle of town moved me to tears. As everyone on this forum knows, we are more able to grieve WITH others who have lost their loved ones, since we have lost, too. Thankfully, the police have reduced the death toll on Utøya. It is so awful for the parents who sent their kids to that camp to learn about tolerance and fighting racism. I hope that all the survivors get the counseling that they will need.

Hugs, Pilla

Pilla,

I hear there were 150000 people in Oslo alone for the memorial, all holding up roses.

My eldest son and his wife are moving to Bergen next week, and my youngest will be moving there ten days later to attend the University of Bergen. It's a beautiful city. Are you Norwegian? I live in Vestfold, on Nøtterøy.

I'm sorry that you lost your husband. I lost mine nearly a year ago, and sometimes it's still hard to believe he's really gone.

Melina