Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Today I went to see Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride.

I usually like Tim Burton’s work and dark humour and the movie had some good reviews so I decided to check it out.

I almost left at the beginning when the characters started to sing – I do not like musicals! However I stayed to see how the plot would develop.

It’s a story about how a living person relates to dead people and the conflicts that arise.

I particularly liked the ending. I will just say that butterflies are involved. Since my Jeannie died I have really come to appreciate butterflies. I will miss them over the winter months.

I don’t recommend this movie for children. And if you are not a Tim Burton fan, you may not care for it either. It’s only 1hr 15 minutes long, so you will not be wasting a lot of your time if you do chose to watch it.

Thanks for your comments - but the strides seem to be one step forward and then four steps back.

I went to the cemetary tonite and I wish that I could have dug my grave and crawled into it beside Jeannie.

Unlike some others I just don't have the desire to move on with life. I am happy for those who can do so. I know that if I don't try I will not succeed. But what's the point??? Jeannie will not come back to me so I will have to go meet her there. sad.gifsad.gif

It's time to watch Six Feet Under - how appropriate.

Goodnite.........

Oh Walt,

I wish I could say something to make you feel better...but I don't know what that would be. You WILL join her...it's the waiting that's hard...but you do have family to make the effort for, I know it's not the same. I feel that way too...I know they have their own lives, and yet, we are important to them, even when we don't realize it. It's just the pain gets so hard to bear. I don't know what you mean about some people are able to move on...I don't know what that means. Those who have tried to forge some sort of life for themselves tell me how much they still miss their spouse...for myself, I only know that I choose to honor my sweet husband's memory until we can be reunited, and I'm just doing my best to survive until then...and if I can help anyone else along the way, that would be good.

You have me curious about this movie...we don't have a movie theater in town, but maybe I'll take a look-see in the next town sometime. Hang in there, Walt, we care.

Whatever small steps we make along the way are good. I have been told we need to be good to ourselves, but that is easier said than done when you no longer feel whole. If we try whatever makes us feel even a little better, perhaps we will one day come out on the other side of this awful, black grief. I went to Hospice for counseling yesterday and it was a very good experience for me. Tonight there will be a group for spouses that I will attend.

My homework for our next session was for me to write something that would let my counselor know Steve. That's pretty easy, I wrote his eulogy, made a memory book and have written many poems for him. I guess my homework is done. I find writing to be a way to release a lot of pent up emotions. I wrote a letter to Steve about the day he died. I had to capture everything before I lost any of it. It was our last day and I keep dwelling on it. I know that I shouldn't, but it will take time before I can let go of all the "lasts".

Steve and I bought cemetary plots but along the way opted for cremation. When I die, my ashes will be mixed with Steve's and our sons will take them to a place of peace and light. I was so glad to have had time to spend with his body in the ER after he died. I was able to kiss him, caress his face, tell him I loved him over and over. I spent several hours just holding his hand and I felt as if he were holding mine. Yes, he WAS holding my hand as we did on all of his appointments to the doctor's office and the emergency room. See how I gravitate to those lasts. I did that when my father died also. I had a hard time getting past the "last". I suppose it's the finality that I can't get out of my head.

Sorry, I'm rambling again.

Peace to us all - Pat