Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Back In A Holding Pattern With My Nursing School

Hi everyone,

Well yesterday, I was expecting to have, good news about getting my schooling started for nursing. When I met with the my case worker, who handles all the funding and gets everyone into the schools and classes that they have applied for. My counselor Amilcar, recognized me right away, and asked what happened to me. Because the last time I saw him was June first. Then he took me to Angel, the counselor for getting you on transitional assistance. I explained to Amilcar, my summer lost. He could not believe everything that had happened to me. As I explained to him between the grief, and also the long term caregiver, it took a toll on my body. Because my paper work from the schools are over 90 days old, I have to revisit the schools, :( so the they know I still want the training, and one form from the Career Center, that helps them determine what your interests are, to make sure what training you are seeking is something that really fits your interest. He said Dwayne these are just formalities for you, and he would do everything he can to get me in the school. :) He said I deserve that, for all that I have gone through and still have my focus on my goal.

He really liked my straw hat that I wear. It is a Stetson, UV blocker, :) I got for when I go walking. He talked about it so much, I wrote down the web site for the store where I got it from. Shelpers out of Wichita, Kansas. He went on to their web site and was thrilled at what he saw. He closed the page and told me he would look at home, Then he said go revisit both schools and fill out the foam, that he would see me on the 25. The funding is now set for the 20 of this month. Not to worry he said It will all work out for you. :)

So that is where I am still waiting, but healthy now and a lot better in my mind. I still have that blaze in me to get my schooling one way or another.

Never give up.

God Bless

Dwayne

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is going to work out. You know that and your patience is admirable. It will happen right at the right moment...So sorry you have to go through all their hoops again.

Mary

Dwayne,

Hang in there, be patient, good things happen for good people sometimes it's just a small challenge, I have had to endure the same situation when I bought my new house (new to me, built in 2006)there were delays in closing and the paper work was held up in Miami by another title company but after some delays it all worked out, I feel the same about your delay, it will work it's way out...remember to just "go with the flow" taking it day by day....

NATS

Dwayne, I know this must have been a disappointment to you. Sometimes when we're in the middle of something it's hard to see how/why is this happening like this? I felt that way losing my job and breaking my elbow. I look back now and think how in the world would I have kept up the grueling pace of commuting so far with a stick shift and working full time as well as keeping up at home? It was a blessing it occurred while I was only working one day/week and for anything else that comes up on my job, I telecommute from home. I hope this additional time before you start your schooling brings you extra strength. Once you start school, you will be very busy...I hope you can stop and smell the roses while you have the chance, it may be a long while before that opportunity presents again. You have been such an inspiration to us with your positive focus...

I really do not look at it as a set back. I look as it, like life I got the funding this summer I could have not went to school. Now I have entered the world of the loving again. I get stronger every day, And I was able to use some of my wound skills, and helping him with therapy, to start walking again. I like to look at it as a positive, every day I get stronger and expand my mind in learn the songs for church, We now have 18. I have a good 13 songs down, So that helps my memory to exercise, to get ready for the big stuff. My only hope was to start school at 56, But on OCT. 21 I will be 57 but feel like 29 again. :lol:

Thank all of you for your support you all have given me. :)

God Bless

Dwayne

Thank you Susie,

I went to one school yesterday and got that part of the paper work, done. Now on Friday, I go to the other school, the one that I want to go to, and get that paper work completed. I want to go to that school because they teach 140 hours more than the other, so I will be learning a lot more, that will only help me, when I finish and get the first job in my new career. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! :) I also completed the form from the Career Center. You answer a lot of questions, and after you open these 2 pages that are stuck together and it tells them what is your interests are. The you go through the rest of the form and circle different jobs or careers that you are interested in by what your scores are acording to the 2 highest. Mine were Scientific, and Social. At the back you list the 12 jobs or careers from eithe of those 2 catagories, your school subjects you like best, the most important values about the jobs, and then your 4 abilities that you can do best. This helps guide them into if you are going after a retraing course that would best suit you. It is very interesting.

God Bless

Dwayne

I am getting closer to my goal. I have visited the schools again, and have all my paper work, done for the Career Center. If they get the funding when they say they will, I will start school on November 7. I cannot wait to get started. This is something I want to do so bad, and that brass ring is so close now, just 30 days away. I have waited all this time, so 30 days is nothing to wait.

God Bless

Dwayne

You're proceeding, Dwayne, it's going to happen!

hey there.....not trying to discourage you, please keep going with your dreams of being a nurse!!!! but keep in mind, try to concentrate your efforts of nursing, in the areas of ICU, Hospice, or Radiology.......Nursing has alot of opportunities.....but it is a rough career.........these areas that i have mentioned provide the best of the profession....Good luck!!!! Dave S RN, 20 yrs of experience in dealing with this carreer....

Dave,

I know how hard it is. I have really been a CNA for about 11 years. I have the experience from the care I gave to Pauline, and after she passed. I typed out my resume, and went to a hospital in the next town north of me. They read my resume and told me I have a the skills for a CNA but no certificate. That is why I am going through the Career Center for Patient Care Tech. I will learn a lot more than CNA, but not quite a LPN, just in between the 2. I have been told by many nurses and doctors that cared for Pauline, that I have what it takes to become a good nurse. I will do it. If they get the funding on Oct 20, I will start school on Nov, 7. I have also used my skills I learned about wound care to heal a wound he had from his accident. I love to care for people, I know it is a demanding job, and I know I can do it because I have the patients to care and give of myself. :)

I thank you Dave for the concern, but I have to do it through the Career Center, because of my money situation. After I get trained and get a job, then I can look at other opportunities, but for now this is it. I CAN NOT WAIT TO GET STARTED. :D

God Bless

Dwayne

Thank You Allana,

I know that I will reach my goal. It is just a matter of time now. This is what I want to do for the rest of my life. I have had a big up lift, when I joined the church choir, and excelled thier. Learning 12 songs in a couple weeks. It gave me an up lift in my learning process, now I really know I can reach my goal and excell at it also. It is just a matter of time now.

God Bless

Dwayne

Hi,

I have been off a couple days. I needed to some maintenance on my computer. It needed some TLC, just like all of us do from time to time. :)

I hope and pray, that when I go see my counselor on the 25, I will get the green light to start school, NOV. 7. I feel strong and HEALTHY for a change. My birthday is in 3 days OCT, 21, I know I will be the oldest in the class at 57, but I feel like 29. :lol: I walk every day now up to 2 miles. I cannot wait to get started. Then get a JOB again. I thought I would never say that word again. But life changes, and so must we change with it. This is my goal and I will follow it through. :)

God Bless

Dwayne

We're rooting for you Dwayne!

I had one of my hardest days ever at work yesterday. I got to work and there was a week's worth of mail with a lot of bank reconciliations to do so I thought I had my day cut out for me. Well then my boss comes in to work and drops a bombshell on me...we lost our ability to do business in TX, where one of our offices was. Turns out they sent the notice for filing franchise taxes and another form to our TX office, who forwarded it to my boss, who neglected to give it to me, back in July. To complicate matters worse, when I'd registered in TX, they created several filings, which I promptly called to their attention, and they were supposed to take care of it, and told me which number to use...turns out they didn't finish "taking care of it" so they show us remiss with that number as well. I tried to get that straightened out too yesterday and told them I only work one day a week, they were supposed to get back to me but didn't. So now I have more fun to deal with next Monday. What a mess! I worked so hard yesterday I forgot to eat lunch until later in the afternoon and I'm Diabetic! I don't know how/why he thinks he can just have me work part time, my job there is definitely full time work. By the time I got done dealing with the State of TX and got the returns filed, I had 1 1/2 hours left to do 40 hours work...it's just not possible. It's insane!

Dwayne, I know it'll be harder going back to school at your (our) age but you have one thing in your favor...drive. You WANT this and you will make it happen. :)

Kay,

Thank you so much for your support and very kind words. But you are right, I do have the drive to make this happen for myself, that will benefit others in the future.

Kay, so sorry to hear about all the problems at work for you. You are right, he needs you full time. They just expect you to get everything, done in one day, that they messed up on. Just hang in there and you better stop for lunches. That is all we need is for you to get in trouble from the Diabetes.

God Bless, my dear friend,

Dwayne

It WILL work at just the right moment....the best to you, Dwayne. Your patience will pay off. Mary

Mary,

That is one of my best qualities, is patience. I have a lot of it and, I know when the time is right, it will all come together. Thank you :)

God Bless

Dwayne

Hang in there Dwayne, and call me any time! Today there doesn't seem to be any jobs to apply for, I still have to check the classifies, but on line...nothing. It goes like that, in spurts.

My boss told me yesterday that he forwarded the notices to me via email in July...I never got them. I went through my computer's history, and I'd checked my company email several times that day, but didn't get it. I think for something that important he would have mentioned it or noticed the forms never appeared on his desk for signatures. Oh well...I put a rule into my webmail so anything coming from the company will go to the inbox...sometimes it was going to spam or trash for no apparent reason and there's so much that makes it into there, even though I check it, it's easier to miss because there can be hundreds in there. I hate the company webmail but alas I have to work with it.

So, Dwayne, less than three weeks...when will you find out for sure if it's on? BTW, if you have extra patience, can you send some my way? It's NOT one of my greatest qualities! LOL

Kay,

I will find out for sure on Oct. 25, at 9:30 AM . I think I will call today to see if they indeed get the funding. If I get the green light. I have to contact my DR. to get all the shots I need before I can start school. They can only be give no more than 18 days before I start school. 19-20 days out they become invalid, and I would have to have them again.

Yesterday afternoon, I went out looking for a nice pair of black pants for my choir on Sunday, I went to 4 different stores, I finally found 1 nice pair of black paints, size 30-30, most of the pants with wastes over 34-54". I could not believe that they cut back making small. I should have gone to a higher end store. I looked in Walmart, Target, Sears, and finally got a pair in Vanity Fair Outlet. I got lucky.

Don't give up Kay on finding that nice job you need and want so bad. I am pulling for you everyday.

God Bless

Dwayne

Well here it is,

I met with my counselor at the Career Center, and all my paper work is in place, but no funding yet. Everything is being held up in Washington. Those people down there just can not work together. I think we should pass a law that they do not get paid until they stop the grid lock and start working together for the good of the country. The Career Center never got the funding in July at that start of the new fiscal year in Washington, like they were suppose to get, for the retraining of people, so they can get trained and back to work. I do have a start date for school on November 7. I have to call on Nov. 4 my counselor, to see if he can find money somewhere for me, so I can start. If he can I will met with him later in the day. But I still would need to have my TB test and first Hepatitis shot, by the start of school. You can only have them at the longest 18 days before the start of school. At 19 days they are invalid, and I would have to have them again . I have waited this long now, so what is a another few weeks. I will get there some day I know that, I just have to keep my focus and not give up, and I won't.

I sang in the church choir on Sunday for my first time. We only had 4 tenors out of 6, but we rocked it and got a thumbs up from the director for a job well done. Then after we had our practice. I will sing next on the second Sunday of November, after that we will start doing Christmas music, that the pastor has picked out. I haven't seen them yet, we are working on our Christmas program, where we will sing 10 songs. I like it very much and even, met again a wound nurse that took care of Pauline about 3 1/2 years ago. I knew the face but could not place it, until she told me where we met. I was very grateful for all the great care she gave Pauline. She told me it was easy because I did most of her job for her, so when she came once a week, it was really just to check on her. She told me I will make a great nurse and am glad I decided to follow that up in my new life now.

So here I sit and wait until that day when I can get started, finish school and get back to work.

God bless

Dwayne

Oh Dwayne, I'm so sorry! (You should have called me, I can't sleep anyway.) I don't understand how the gov't can hold up the funding when they say they want to make jobs number one! Ha! Yeah, they're real concerned about us...it'd be different if it was them without jobs. Maybe they need to take a turn, be out of work for a year or two so they can know what it's like, it might give them a different perspective with which to work. Meanwhile, some of us out of work could take on their jobs...not saying we know more or anything, but maybe the country wouldn't be any the worse off for it. Grr, don't get me started...

You're right though, it will happen, and when it does, you'll make a great nurse because you care about people and you've been there.