Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Lost My Daughter

Dear Shell,

We're all so very sorry to learn that it is the death of your beloved daughter that has brought you here to us, but please know that you have found your way to a warm and caring place. We are all here to help and support you in any way we can.

You say you don't know what to do or say, and I'm not sure any one of us would know what to do or say if we were in your shoes. Perhaps you can begin by simply telling us about your daughter, and sharing with us the details of your story. We are holding you in our hearts, we are here for you, and we are ready to listen . . .

Wishing you peace and healing,

Marty T

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Shell, I felt I just had to reply to your post just to say how terribly sorry I am that you have lost your precious little girl. How awful for you. I don't know if I can be of much help to you as I can't offer you any words of comfort like "It will ease in time" or such sayings as I am in the same situation as you. I lost my two big boys within three years of each other, my eldest son dying in May of this year and the younger three years ago in August 2002 and I too am desperately trying to find ways of coping and dealing with it all. It just all seems too big for me sometimes. I can however offer you support in the sense that I know exactly what you are going through, My boys were 28 years and 34 years of age and so were considerably older than your daughter but it doesn't matter how young or how old they are the pain is just as intense. No mother ever expects to outlive her children and like you I am devastated by it all. Maybe the fact that someone else is feeling like you do and understands how you feel may help you. I hope so. I don't think I will ever come to terms with it, it all seems so senseless and unfair but I am hoping that eventually I will be able to cope with it all a bit better. It is early days yet for both of us and we probably have a long way to go yet but like you I have other children who need me and I am trying to plough my time into them. Please read my posting "The loss of my children" Each day I get through is another day over and maybe as time goes on we will get stronger. I have lots of memories of my sons, some sad and many happy ones and whilst it upsets me I like to draw on these memories as it keeps them close to me. I do hope that you find the help and support that you need at this time and I hope that I have been of some help to you. I wish you all the best and I just want you to know that my thoughts are with you. Kind regards, June

• 1 month later...

My family was in a terrible car accident November 29, 2003. My daughter Briana died in that accident,only 8 days after her 12th birthday. She was a wonderful, loving little girl. Brii was one of 4 children. November & December have become difficult months. i used to love Christmas, but the 2003 & 2004 Holidays were a blur. Sometimes I can go a few weeks now, productive at work, but then the bad days return and I withdraw, unable to function or accomplish anything. I have accomplished nothing the last 2 weeks.

Briana was "Daddy's little girl,": Butterfly kisses and whisker rubs every night. Even when I travelled on business, she would give me butterfly kisses over the phone. She was on my lap for Bears Football games or laying next me by the fire place. She was the peace maker among the family & other kids, a source of pure love in our family.

My wife and kids are suffering so much, I think it's so painful because everyone experienced the accident. It was a bloody war scene on that Interstate, that changed all our lives forever. Everyone's physical pains are mostly healed, some will never heal, and I don't know if our hearts can ever heal. Your children trust you to keep them safe. As the father, I failed to do so. When we left for our Thanksgiving trip, noone imagined that their parents would not get them home safely.

We were a very close family and did everything together. Now the family is like a wine glass that has been dropped on the floor; as we crawl around trying to find the pieces and glue them back together, we can't find them all and even with the glued pieces, it just isn't the same.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello, I am not sure how to post information. I don't know if you still read the board.....I was also in a car accident with my three daughters on the interstate traveling back from Denver on Memorial weekend 2005. I lost my 11 year old daughter, Stormy. Your posting just hit home to me...I cannot forget the horrible accident....it is like a film in my head that plays over and over again. If you...Brii Brii Daddy still read this....I would like to vist with you. Thanks, Rayn