Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Good News

A year ago I fell and broke two fingers and tore my rotator cuff in my shoulder...left arm and I am left handed. After months of PT, ice, exercises and 24/7 pain and sleep interrupted by pain coupled, of course, with grieving.... I finally did an MRI (postponed so Medicare would cover it...oh how insurance governs our lives). I had the MRI about 10 days ago and met with MD yesterday. When the nurse called last week to tell me the cuff was indeed torn she asked if I wanted her to set up a meeting with the surgeon. I told her that I would meet with MD first. I knew that I would not tackle holidays with surgery and my dominant arm taped to my chest for weeks as I live alone. I also don't jump into surgery. Yesterday I met with MD, who is also a friend who helped Bill a lot, came to the house and called from a mountain in AZ telling me he and his wife (also a friend) were praying for Bill as they knew he loved mountains.

Anyway yesterday he suggested several alternative steps hoping this small tear would heal on its own as it seems to be doing. So I now have exercises (more exercises) to do, Advil as needed but not too much as it slows healing down, certain limitations to movement and lifting which I have done for a year now....and two months to see what happens. Then we move to salt injections of some kind if that fails.

In the meantime, I get to avoid surgery et al and hope this heals on its own as it seems to be doing....very very very slowly. And that is my very long presentation of good news. NO surgery which I have successfully avoided for 71+ years :) with one very minor exception.

By the way, when I flew to NY to see an outstanding medium last November after my fall, he told me that Bill wants me to be careful on steps. I fell on a step. Medium did not know that....any of it.

Mary mfh

Mary, I am so sorry for your loss, and you are in my thoughts, as the holidays and anniversary approach. I am happy that you got some clarification regarding your torn rotator cuff. My husband has the same issue, and it is my understanding that the pain is very intense. I hope you find relief very very soon.

It is interesting to me, that you have consulted with a medium. Both my grandmother and mother, have a deep rooted belief in the paranormal, and since my father's passing, this belief system, has been a source of thought for me. Despite, my cultural comfort level in regards to the after life, I am having some trouble reconciling my belief system along with the death of my father. I am curious, if you find your visits to mediums helpful? Do you have faith in what they say?

A part of me is feeling very lost right now, so please forgive my questions if intrusive.

Once again, I am sorry for your loss, and I hope you are well on the way to physical recovery.

Mir

Hello Mir,

Thank you for your note and concern. You are NOT being intrusive. I have only seen one medium in my life and that was this one a year ago. I researched him thoroughly...I mean thoroughly and I do have faith in his abilities. I do believe that we keep going after we shed our bodies, that we are spirits (souls if you will) and that we are in a body for a while but when we shed that body, our identity, consciousness, spirit goes on. There is just too much evidence and science and spirituality are finally merging on this one. I think there are a lot of frauds out there and one must be careful about who they trust. I am glad I did this. Happy to answer any questions. I wish you peace. I too am feeling lost and in limbo right now, so I understand how you feel. Peace, Mary mfh

Hello Mary,

I hope your recover soon from your injuries. Rotater cuffs are certainly painful. I found your comment from the medium to be very interesting. My Mom and I (although we are both christian) were always interested in things like that. I have had fleeting thoughts of talking to a medium to try and communicate with my Mom. I have never told anyone this as I think they would think I lost my mind. I miss her more now than ever. It has been 18 weeks since she passed. Now I am curios what I may be told. If anyone could communicate that way my Mom would. She had such a wonderful personality and was loved by all. She told me once she would always be with me. I have not idea if I will seek out the services of a medium but what you were told was very interesting to say the least. Thank you for sharing. Take care.

Mir and Susan, Although struggling right now I had a great experience with medium by the name of Rita Berkowitz, who was pretty amazing the things she got right, and it did bring me alot of comfort. Mary, Good luck with the rotator cuff experience, think you are on the right track, and if you get to the point of it not working at least you tried all you could before trying surgery. Dave

Mary, I hope this course of treatment continues to be profitable. I had an injury to my forefinger a couple of years ago...it wasn't getting better, I couldn't grip or close it, and the circulation was bad, it'd turn blue if I tried to bend it. I tried everything that was suggested to no avail...finally, about a year later, my researcher librarian sister told me to try gin and golden raisins...you brine the raisins in the gin for a couple of weeks (a couple of months and it's more palatable) and take nine a day...I don't count, I just use an ice-tea spoonful. I showed marked improvement within two weeks and within a couple of months regained complete function of my finger and could completely close it a grasp! I swear by it, it's much better on the stomach than Ibuprofen. I talked to my doctor about it and he was just glad it worked...I googled it on line and found a lot of people swear by it but I don't know that they know WHY it works, it's enough for me that it does. I intend to take it the rest of my life, it's helpful on all of the "itises" arthritis, carpal tunnel, etc., it seems to keep inflammation at bay.

Keep us posted with how you're doing...I can sympathize with you as I had to do PT exercises when I broke my right elbow (I'm right handed). When I thought I might need surgery I wasn't thrilled either at getting back to square one when I live alone and have no one to help take care of me. Let's just hope this does the trick and you will get better each day! I am thankful that in due time, my elbow finally healed and now I'm stacking wood and lifting like nothing ever happened. The good benefit from it is that now my left arm is stronger than it's ever been, being as I had to do everything left handed for over two months!

Dear Mary,

Soft tissue tears, take a long time to heal, especially rotator cuffs, because, there is so many muscles and ligaments involved in that area. My Niece, is a PT, she sent me to a site where I got Greg a lot of different range of motion and very mild strengthen exercises to do. They have really helped him a lot after his accident. We first worked on getting him on his feet again. He was in bed for almost 4 months, flat on his back. I have worked with him for almost 3 months with the PT. Now I have on with the upper body, mainly his shoulders, and that includes rotator cull PT. As a matter of fact I worked him out today, after I took him out for awhile. My Doctor told me I should look into becoming a PT if I do not want to do nursing. If you want I can e-mail them to you in PDF files. That is if what you are doing gets you no results. Just be patients and take your time with this.

God Bless

Dwayne

Thank you Kay and Dwayne. I truly appreciate your input. Kay, I have heard about the raisin thing and may give that a whirl I have the exercises and now I Ned patience. Thank you for caring. That means so much. I am quite tired of the physical pain and the sleep disruption during a time when sleep comes with difficulty anyway. I have gotten a few idea today and will be following up! I will keep you informed from time to time. Peace, mary