Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Damn You Triggers

Today I had another "Trigger" for my beloved Fiance.

I went to the store to pick up a card for my friend's birthday. As, i'm skimming through the section of cards, My eyes become glued

to the card section I would normally buy a card from

The ............... "From The Both of Us"

Section.

Ugh, I had to fight the tears back, as I'm standing there in the isle. I hate those triggers.

I had the thought in my head. Well.. I won't be buying cards from that section anymore... I became very sad :(

That was my one trigger for today.

I call them ambushes...happens a LOT! Tiny ones, huge ones....Last June would have been our 25th anniversary and I actually bought the card I would have bought for Bill, wrote on it and put it with the hundreds of cards I have that we gave each other each month on the 22nd. The ambushes are tough and also reminders of how much we love. Bill and I motor homed around Canada and the US for two years full time. I remember after he died an Allegro Bay motor home passed the house and well, I sobbed for a long time.... Opening a drawer and finding something of his, seeing a teddy bear...he gave me teddy bears on holidays....on and on and on the ambushes go. We were blessed to have our love.

Peace

Mary

Yeah and decorating the Christmas tree my son brought me this year...finding the ornament George brought me back from Florida, holding it all the way on the ride home in the airplane so it wouldn't get broken (hand blown glass), and the one of two skating bears (me and George) that says "George and Kay's 1st Christmas" on it...and the one that looks exactly like his fishing hat, the first ornament I'd ever bought him (it was the first ornament he'd ever had) and the one he bought in honor of my son that was serving in the Air Force, and on and on...the Christmas Bears that cuddle together and sing (my GF bought it for us because she said it reminder her of us)...George loved it so much he stuck it in the back seat of the car and the guys that caught a ride to work with him had to put up with it...if they complained he'd make it play it's music. :) I hung his stocking next to mine on our bedroom door. So many memories, but sometimes they choke you up...

Kay

George sounds so loving and warm...and humorous. I have not put up a tree last year or this...just can't bear the thought of it...so many memories in those boxes. Last year I did not even put a red candle out. This year I bought two pointsetias, searched for the creche (without success but have not given up-have not used it since we moved here) and put the runner on the table. That is it. Better than last year. I know when the day comes that I get the ornaments out...my memories, like yours, will be wonderful and tearful.

Mary