Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Not Looking Forward To This

Just the thought of facing that with my soon-to-be 17 yr old cat, Minnie,is almost too hard to imagine.If I had to give my life now a title, I'd call it Bearing the Unbearable.

Mary, you put yourself knowingly through a lot of pain to help someone else - that's the definition of selflessness.

I am lucky enough to have friends like you and you can rest assured that your kindness will never be forgotten....Susie Q

Susie, I understand. I hope your fur baby is ok for a long time and I know that is wishing a lot at 17. My clog is 8 and I know it will be 4-6 years max when I will have to. Deal with this. I am glad you have friends who will support you. Thank you for your message. Mary

There was a couple and their adult son that were lost in the woods for six days with no provisions, they had their Pit Bull with them. They left their other two dogs in their trailer and the searchers found them and also their truck, but no sign of them. Finally they found them, and after a brief stay in the hospital, they were released. They told the reporters they'd been considering eating their dog. I had a hard time with this, because I view my dog as my baby. I'm afraid if I was in that position we'd both die together, I just couldn't consider eating my dog. I know everyone feels different about their pets, but to me they are "family" not "food".

Kay, I could hardly read that let alone consider it. Bentley and I would die together.

I just picked him up at the vet. He is still recovering from anesthesia....he had his teeth cleaned and a molar extracted. I got a taste of what it would feel like NOT to have him here...it certainly did not feel good. They did a biopsy on a lump but it was just a cyst, common in Goldens but, of course, I worried until they called me. I kept sensing his presence here all day, turning to talk to him etc. He is a family member. Now I am told I need to treat his teeth weekly and it would be good for me to brush them daily but at least twice a week plus apply some coating to help keep tartar down. I know I should be doing this....soooo I will but reluctantly at one level...happily at another. He will be fine with it....The toothpaste, I am told, tastes like chicken....no mint flavored :)

Peace

Mary

Marty, Your ability to be a resource is endless...and reaches into many realms..I smile. Good article. I fear Bentley has been a victim of the caregiving years and my grief in that his care has not been as thorough as would be typical of us. He has been loved for sure, groomed, fed, walked, etc but the tooth brushing got neglected. A friend was over tonight and said when she brushes her teeth at night, her pups, both of them, leap onto the toilet and a stool in the bathroom waiting their turn :). Time to get the brush going every night...and the teeth get coated once a week. he deserves that last piece of care and the last thing I need right now is to lose him. I got a taste of that today when he was gone.

Thank you for the info and for the awareness and thoughtfulness to notice the piece and post it. You do amaze me!

Peace

Mary

Mary,

It is indeed hard to be without them, they're such wonderful company. I've been thinking about trying to brush my dog's teeth...he's not the most cooperative sort, he gets flighty and anxious, moves quick and jerkily when he's uncertain about something. But he's four now and it'd be good to tackle it before disease gets started.

It is really important and if you start by putting some tasty treat on the brush and not try to brush but just let him taste it. The toothpaste we use is poultry flavored and you can use a dog toothbrush which has two ends...large and small or they make them to just fit on your finger which I find easier. The trick will be moving slowly. Bentley is sensitive too (how could he not be living with the two of us :) ) I was playing with him the other day and accidentally hit him in the head with a new toy....that was the end of the game....but I will bring the toy out again later. Like us, dental issues can leads to major health issues. I also get Bentley's teeth cleaned when needed. Because of all that has happened the two year (normal cleaning) got to be 3 1/2 and his teeth got neglected on a daily basis as I survived caregiving.

You might just hold the brush in front of him and if he sniffs it, give him a little treat....etc. until he allows you to put it in his mouth.

Mary